Clear Shows, History, and metadata from Roamio Hard Drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tiv0 newbie, Sep 18, 2019.

1. tiv0 newbie

tiv0 newbie New Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Can someone instruct me on how to easily perform these functions without having to do a full clear and delete? I am at work, so I may not be able to respond right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. tiv0 newbie

tiv0 newbie New Member

Aug 27, 2015
    By the way, my TiVo is on TE3.

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I don't see such an option--don't you really want to be doing a C&DE?

4. tiv0 newbie

tiv0 newbie New Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Thank you for the reply. I am trying to accomplish these things without having to redo the cablecard pairing.

5. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Ah, got it. I'm worthless there, as an OTA guy and not having any great knowledge of the complications from the cable angle.

A perhaps work-around: of course you can delete your shows 1-by-1 (although they're not erased, as far as I'm aware, if that's what you're after). I then thought that you could use kmttg to download info. lists, edit then to nothing, and then re-load them. There are options for thumbs and season passes, and channel lists, but I don't see one for history, though, and of course there's all the other metadata that is there. Perhaps someone fluent with kmttg might have an idea under that angle.

6. tiv0 newbie

tiv0 newbie New Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Mike,
    Thanks again for your help. All of my Tivo DVRs appear to have been corrupted by my attempt to create a specific folder for home videos to pull from my Pytivo operating pc.

I learned that this was my likely problem after having read through a few of your posts from 2018. Thanks!!!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There should not be a need to clear them out. Clear & Delete Everything will wipe out the drive and start over everything..

You cannot really create folders on a Tivo except through Metadata.

8. tiv0 newbie

tiv0 newbie New Member

Aug 27, 2015
    ThAbtO,
    I did try to follow several threads on here to create my own metadata files to generate specific folders for my own personal family videos. Ultimately, it was a disaster that caused corruption of my three TiVo DVRs.

I have performed a clear and delete everything on one of them. This one DVR appears to be functioning properly now.

Mikeguy likes this.
  9. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I wish that I actually was providing you with any help. And a sad welcome as the latest member of the show database corruption club. :thumbsdown:

The only club solution I'm aware of is a C&DE. The only real question seems to be to what extent old shows can be saved. Before doing a C&DE, I deleted the shows on my box that were unplayable,* but transferred copies of the still-playable shows to my PC, and then back to the TiVo box after the C&DE--the box seems fine. I believe that @bobfrank, who did a significant amount of TiVo-forced experimentation here (multiple times, and multiple boxes--sigh), has found that even shows that won't play can be saved by transferring them to a PC as well, and then back again after the C&DE.

And here, the tidy ones of us simply were trying to have personal files/shows stored away in a folder, rather than being listed with all the box's other shows. :oops:

* Not a major sacrifice, to get the box working again--I thought of it as a forced Spring cleaning.

bobfrank likes this.
  10. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Sorry to hear that you've joined our poor little club of corrupted Tivos. Creating user defined folders worked for years and then there was apparently some change in the Tivo software that reacted poorly to user folders.

As Mikeguy said above, I've got extensive, and painful, experience with videos not playing due to setting up my own folders using pyTivo.

He's also right when he says that the shows can be saved by copying them to a PC and back after the C&DE.

Having done this probably more times then anyone else here I can tell you that I never had to re-pair my cable cards because of the C&DE. I was with Verizon FIOS and later with Frontier FIOS. It's possible that things could be different with your cable company.

Mikeguy likes this.
  11. tiv0 newbie

tiv0 newbie New Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Bobfrank,
    Thank you for the reply. As it turned out, I did not have to repair the cablecards. Everything is working right now.

bobfrank and Mikeguy like this.