Clear key to exit Netflix

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Lurker1, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Lurker1

Lurker1 Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2004

Advertisements

All of a sudden the clear key won't exit Netflix any more. Is anyone else having this problem?

2. tatergator1

tatergator1 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    It was a design change in the latest version of the software. 'Clear' no longer works to exit. It's "Back" or "Zoom" now, can't remember which right now.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Really? Thank the Tivo gods. Cannot tell how many times I went to clear the progress bar and accidentally dumped from the app. Is it just Netflix?

4. tatergator1

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Should be all apps.

5. Lurker1

Jun 4, 2004

Advertisements

I just tried Back and Zoom, and neither of those exits Netflix. However, today Clear does exit Netflix again like it always has. I know it didn't work yesterday because I pressed it over and over and nothing happened. Did pressing Back or Zoom somehow re-enable Clear? I don't understand. How does it work for everyone else?

6. tatergator1

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I habitually use the "Tivo" button, but thought I had read somewhere on here previously about the app exit button being changed recently. Maybe I'm just confused. :confused:

7. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    Clear worked for me last night on the mini. I always use the Tivo button but tried the clear button just to see.

8. Lurker1

Jun 4, 2004
    So is it a design change or not? It didn't work a couple days for me, but now it is working again. Sounds more like a temporary glitch or bug. I guess I should have waited one more day before posting.

9. Lurker1

Jun 4, 2004
    ...And now it is not working again. This "design change" is confusing. Anyone care to guess why it works sometimes and not others?

10. Lurker1

Jun 4, 2004
    Still not working - I guess the Clear key is permanently disabled now. :(

Is there another key that will return me to the OnePass screen after viewing a Netflix program, like Clear always has until now? It is taking me multiple key presses now to do what Clear did with one press.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ugh, yeah, 'Clear' isn't working for me, either. I'm on 20.5.2a.

So now it's serial 'Back' presses and navigating over to 'Exit Netflix', or TiVo'ing out to TiVo Central, then My Shows, and finding my way back to the episode.

That said, one drawback w/ the Netflix app integration, even before the 'Clear' button was disabled, was that the TiVo UI doesn't really know if you use auto-play to play several episodes within the Netflix app, so 'Clear'-ing out wasn't always perfect, either.

12. Lurker1

Jun 4, 2004
    What I always do is press Clear one or more times on the OnePass screen to delete the episode(s) that I just watched. But now TiVo has made it much more difficult to return to the OnePass screen after the program. :mad:

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ah, got it. Good way to mark a video as "watched," absent an actual 'Watched' flag and associated Hide/Show UI mechanism. I don't consider this an option in our multi-viewer household, absent user profiles allowing each user their own control over the listing.

The only thing more aggravating than the inconsistent controls between all the various apps on the TiVo is this sort of random feature disruption.

14. Lurker1

Jun 4, 2004
    I don't understand why TiVo would do this, since it effectively kills the convenience of OnePass as a replacement for the Netflix queue. Because of this "design change", I think I'll have to give up on OnePass and go back to using my Netflix queue again.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I still use OnePass as a quick bookmark for Netflix series I'm working through, or for old series rehash, and launch the Netflix app via a OnePass episode entry. Often, though, once I'm in a given series, I navigate to the subsequent episodes within the Netflix app -- though I have auto-play disabled.*

16. Lurker1

Jun 4, 2004
    Randomly decided to try Clear today. Lo and behold, it is working again. Did it 5 times, just to be sure. Anyone else?

I hope it stays, it is a large convenience to be able to get back to a show's OnePass with one button after watching an episode.

17. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    Yep, "clear" just worked for me. Until I caught this old thread I always wondered if there was a short cut to exit netflix.

With Amazon prime video clear does not work. But several presses of the return (circle with arrow key) eventually exits!

18. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    I also noticed last night while in netflix if I press the Tivo button it takes me right out of netflix and onto the Tivo Central home page.

I don't know if thats because of a Tivo or netflix update or if it always did it?

Yep, just tried it again while a movie was playing and it went right to the Tivo Central screen.

Doesn't do it with Amazon Prime movie streaming.

If this all has already been mentioned . . . forget all of the above :rolleyes:

19. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    The tivo button always drops you out of the app, for all apps. Always has.