Clear And Delete

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by cannonz, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1 of 19
    cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Advertisements

A seller on ebay has this in his ad -----No clear & delete (C&DE) everything is needed. (C&DE takes up to 2 hrs for some models so don't waste your Time buying a drive not prepared correctly) ---- I thought you had to cde anytime putting different drive in.

2. Nov 9, 2011 #2 of 19
    Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    If your refering to DVR_DUDE his info is good and his drives are excellent in my experience. I replaced the drive in my Premiere with a 2TB HDD from DVR_DUDE. Im not a programer or comfortable attempting to make my own drive. I wish i was. I took my sweet time, replaced the drive exactly as the included instructions said then closed up my Premiere and followed the guided set up. Having FiOS i didnt need to make any calls or do anything else, easy as pie.
    Im considering buying a 2TB for my TiVo HD from him, only reason i havnt yet is prices have hiked, i can wait to see if they drop around or after the holidays.

Edit: BTW, the 2 TB drive i got from him runs several degrees cooler than the stock drive that came with it. I wont pretend to know why but it does looking in settings/system info. Cooler should be better.

3. Nov 9, 2011 #3 of 19
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Drives can be set up so they will go directly to the first TiVo setup page and not need the user to do his own C&D all.

4. Nov 9, 2011 #4 of 19
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    He's most likely building his drives from a "clean" image (think InstantCake).
    The only reason you would have to do a C & D, is if the image was from another Tivo hard drive that had been installed and used in another Tivo.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

What size drive do you have in the HD now?

6. cannonz

Oct 22, 2011
    I wondered about that could have sworn they were noticeably cheaper a few months ago when I looked at some.

7. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    I have the stock drive that came in the TiVo HD and a DVR expander. I wish to replace the stock drive in the THD with a 2TB drive. I will be removing the DVR expander and using it with my FiOS 7232-2 DVR once Verizons new 1.9 update gets here to Mass.

8. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    They were noticeably cheaper a few months ago. I sent DVR_DUDE an email inquering as to the price hike. He explained that with the floods in Thailand many of the places that made the WD drives and parts for the drives are out of service. He explained that his sources tell him prices may be starting to drop perhaps by March. I will be keeping a watchfull eye out for that price drop. I am very please with the 2TB drive i got from him for my Premiere and have no problems buying one from him for my THD. I just cant justify paying the prices im seeing with what prices were just a short time ago, worse than the hikes in gas. I will definently be a return customer and if the prices do not bother you and ya all need or want a new HDD you should give him a try.

9. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
  10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

If you look a little more closely it says "Shipping: Not available", and offers to let you do in store pickup if the store has it in stock or they'll ship to the store, which really means the next time they send stuff to that store they'll throw it on the truck as well.

11. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Oh didnt see that! :eek:

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    PRESTONWOOD TX
    5301 BELT LINE RD, DALLAS, TX 75254
    Map & Directions

Available now
    Pick up 11/11/2011

13. Charles R

Charles R Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    Locally many locations stated online they had inventory... but you were shortly informed they didn't per the follow-up email.

14. cannonz

Oct 22, 2011
    Is $80 good for 750GB?

15. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Only if you're the seller.

Or maybe if you're talking about an IDE (non-SATA) 2.5 inch laptop drive.

Assuming you're talking about a new, blank drive.

If it's a drive pre-prepared for a TiVo, as long as you're getting someone else to do it (at your expense), you should go for the maximum size available (cheaper per GB) for that particular TiVo model.

16. cannonz

Oct 22, 2011
    It's pre prepared it for series 2 DT. I'm sure even at best quality would be more than I would ever need. What is the max size that could be used?

17. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you also get a twin breeze bracket from weaknees, 2 1TB drives (with JMicron chipset based IDE to SATA adapters*), like I put in the S2 DT I set up for my mom. You wouldn't believe how quickly she filled them up.

Without the dual drive bracket, a single 1TB SATA drive with suitable adapter.

You'll probably get more GB per dollar with a 1TB than a 750GB.

You should also familiarize yourself with the free version of TiVo Desktop.

You can use it to copy any shows you already have recorded on the drive in that S2 DT now, and copy them back to the new drive with almost all of the meta-data, like original date when recorded, intact. And you can back up your recordings on the computer so that you still have them in case of drive failure in the TiVo, and if you can stand it, you can watch the shows on your computer instead of on the television.

If you use Desktop, I suggest setting aside an NTFS file system partition for them, as FAT32 has a file size limit of 4GB, which will turn 2 hours of Best Quality Standard Definition, like you'll get feeding analog cable into that S2 DT, into 1 hour, 55 minutes. Very frustrating not to know how the movie ends.

I actually wound up setting up my mom's TiVo with its own computer with 2 2TB drives to store shows on. They're filling up fast as well.:)

*adapter thread is here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=416883

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    In todays market that is not bad. When I looked at 750GB prices at Newegg last week, their lowest price was around $115 for a 750GB drive.

Although BestBuy has a 1TB Seagate Barracuda drive on sale this week for $55. It will probably sell out quickly like the 2TB drives they had on sale sold out over the last couple of weeks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate...3968&skuId=8490625&st=1tb barracuda&cp=1&lp=1

EDIT: I also noticed that the 2TB drives that BB had on sale two weeks ago for $75 are now selling for $140. And that is their sale price.
    (The WD 2TB drives that were on sale last week for $80 are now selling for $130 at BestBuy. Of course they probably don't have local stock anymore after selling out last week)

19. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    And those Best Buy prices seem to be better than anybody else's.