Clear and Delete everything takes an HOUR?!?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by timckelley, Jan 27, 2006.

1. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    That seems pretty excessive to me. It doesn't seem like it should be that complicated. I haven't timed it, but TiVo's still clearing and deleting, and it feels like it's been an hour already.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Actually, depending on your Tivo's hard drive size, it can take several hours. Be patient.

3. mechtriton

mechtriton New Member

Nov 26, 2004
    As I understand it, the OS is reformating the area of the drive that stores recording, so the last time you reformated a 80 gig hardrive on your computer how long did that take? Takes mine at least an 75 mins for 120 gig. And also remember your Tivo isnt as powerful as your typical desktop. As litzdog911 said. Be patient

4. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    If you are doing a C&D, why do you care how long it takes? Start it before you go to bed.

5. berfy

berfy New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Mobile

When I did a clear all and delete on my 140 hour TiVo it took FIVE hours.

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It's not a function that is suppose to be performed often, so it's not like TiVo is going to make it a priority to make it as fast as possible. Also, it is doing more than just deleting shows and ratings.

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It isn't, or at least that is part of it.
    What it is doing is clearing out the system database of your settings guide data, and "links" to data in the large MFS partitions.

8. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    Oh, I figured it'd be similar to when I restore Windows + other programs that came with my computer when I insert the restore CD. No big deal.... I was just surprised it took this long.