Cleaning and deleting everything

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by DaveBogart, Dec 23, 2020.

1. DaveBogart

DaveBogart Active Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Golden,...

Advertisements

This is taking way more than an hour as the screen says it my take up to. Anybody have any idea what's the longest I might expect this to take?

2. DaveBogart

DaveBogart Active Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Golden,...
    Nevermind. I found another thread addressing this issue.

3. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    For what it’s worth, a clear and delete everything on my HD with a 2TB drive took a good 4 hours.

4. DaveBogart

DaveBogart Active Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Golden,...
    I'm now into day 4 and still waiting for it to finish.

5. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008

Advertisements

Definitely should not take that long. Was it working correctly and was it fully up to date before you tried the clear and delete? You might end up needing a current image to restore to the drive. And perhaps do a diagnostic to check the drive for errors.

6. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    At that point, I'd consider the thing to be boned. Do you have a USB drive connection kit? Easiest way might be to request an image and re-image the drive from your PC.

7. Jan 5, 2021 #7 of 11
    DaveBogart

DaveBogart Active Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Golden,...
    It was working just fine, except the guide information was screwed up. That's why I thought I'd start from scratch. No telling now it that would have helped. As for diagnostics and image and all that, I haven't a clue how to do any of that stuff.

8. Jan 5, 2021 #8 of 11
    tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    S3s can be tricky, especially if setup for cable. Can end up in loop if you run a clear and delete everything. Image not that tough but you'd have to search in the forums, there is one person who has images for nearly every Tivo every made. Diagnostics, hook up to computer and run diagnostics. Make sure you don't let the computer format the drive though, it will probably think the drive is unformatted, it's not, it's formatted for Tivo in Linux.

9. Jan 7, 2021 #9 of 11
    DaveBogart

DaveBogart Active Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Golden,...
    Is there anyplace that services TIVOs? Are they worth being serviced?

10. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Not an S3, unless you do it yourself (yeah there is a place that would do it but would probably cost 4-5x the value of the box.) Not that tough, just need to search the group. S3 worth maybe $50 IF it has lifetime service, if not parts only.

11. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Since you are doing clear and delete, pull the drive and install a fresh image... maybe a new harddrive too(?)
    If you post the TCD # a fellow forum member will send you a link to down load the image.

Another thing since this is a S3 model.
    The capacitors in the power supply are probably bad, which will cause all sorts of problems.

The only other thing I can think of, if there is a tuning adapter connected; disconnect it.