Clarification on Tivo Mini Limitations

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by sm4194, Feb 15, 2016.

1. sm4194

sm4194 New Member

Jan 30, 2016
    I have gotten conflicting info on how many Tivo Minis the Bolt can truly support simultaneously. Please let me know which of the following is correct:

1. The Bolt can be hooked up to 10 Tivo Minis but only four of those Minis can view content simultaneously, regardless of whether the content being viewed is live or previously recorded.

2. The Bolt can be hooked up to 10 Tivo minis but only four of those Minis can watch live TV simulateously. The remaining 6 Minis can watch previously recorded shows.

2. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    The Bolt always reserves one tuner for itself. A Bolt connected to 10 Minis will allow a maximum of 3 minis to watch live TV simultaneously. It should also allow other Minis to access recorded content at the same time.

I'd be surprised if a single Bolt can support 10 streams simultaneously.

3. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    In addition to Snerd's offering, Tivo has a published "10" device limit on an individual account, it is actually 12, but in addition, somewhere they also recommend not adding more than 5 minis per DVR.
    Although, it is theoretically possible to have one Bolt and 10 minis on an account, because one 4 tuner Bolt would have only 3 tuners available for live TV on a mini, and another 7 minis theoretically either streaming or viewing a recording, is likely to come to a screeching halt fairly quickly as the minis go online either because of the Bolt's cpu or your network limitations.
    Even the 5 minis per DVR is a bit optimistic if you have a large household, especially with only a 4 tuner Bolt.

4. sm4194

sm4194 New Member

Jan 30, 2016
    Thanks for the responses. It sounds like you both concur that the Bolt can technically support more than 4 Minis simultaneously (if they are not all watching live TV). The use case I was most concerned about in my planned set up of 1 Bolt with 5 Minis is the Bolt recording 2 live shows while the 3 or 4 of the Minis are watching previously recorded content. When I emailed Weakness about this exact situation, they told me the Bolt supports only 4 Minis simulateously, regardless of whether the streams are live or recorded TV. But as long as someone has actually had 5 Minis going at the same time, I will assume Weakness was mistsken.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There may be an artifical limit on the number of streams that can come out of the Bolt. There was a limit like this on the Premiere. I think it only supported 3 outgoing streams at a time. If you tried to stream a 4th you'd get an error. I haven't seen mention of that limit on the Roamio or Bolt but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I have however seen mention of people with 6 tuner Roamio units streaming all 5 tuners to Minis at the same time, so if there is a limit it has to be 5 or more.

6. sm4194

sm4194 New Member

Jan 30, 2016
    Can someone who has a Bolt with 4+ Minis try viewing content (live or recorded) at the same time on all devices and let us know if it works.
    Thanks.

7. eric102

eric102 Member

Oct 31, 2012
    I just checked my Bolt with 5 minis.

The minis can watch 3 tuners (all on different channels) and play back 2 different recorded shows at the same time.

They can also play back 5 different recordings at the same time.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I just tested this with 3 Minis and 2 Roamios. I set all 5 of them to stream a different recorded show from my Bolt and it worked fine. So if there is a limit it's higher then 5.

9. eric102

eric102 Member

Oct 31, 2012
    8 streams running now (9 if you count the Bolt), all playing different recorded content.

5 minis, 2 Roamios and Tivo Online.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The Bolt can easily handle twelve concurrent read/write streams. I think the max I tested was thirteen concurrent read/write streams.
    FOur tuners= four streams
    Main Bolt playback=1 stream
    four minis=4 streams
    streaming to four TiVos=four streams.

I believe this has always been the case with the Bolt. Since I did my testing when it was first released.

11. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Aaronwt,
    I think it was probably 12 because when I went over 12 Tivo devices on my account all the minis got knocked off. But thanks for the tested findings on the Bolt. I would have lost that bet.
    Did you ever test the max number of streams on the Roamio series units before you went to the Bolts?

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Roamio Pro could do the same(at least later in it's life). I don't think I hit the max with either for total number of concurrent read/write streams. I am counting the five read/write streams from the host which comes from the four tuners and the one stream also being watched on the Host.

13. Chapin

Chapin Member

Oct 28, 2002
    What is the limit of minis and live TV streams with a 6 Tuner Bolt?

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    A 6-tuner TiVo could typically only support 5 concurrent live TV streams to Minis. (More if any Minis are viewing an ongoing recording and are live.)

15. Chapin

Chapin Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Thanks. It sounds like in up 10 or 12 simultaneous streams total, a mix of 0 live + 12 recorded up to 5 live + 7 recorded. Or maybe more.

I’m thinking of getting 5 - 7 minis and a 6 tuner bolt. It sounds like it should work, presuming there isn’t to many concurrent recordings and live tv streams (6 total, including one for the bolt?)