Clarice - Another Good Idea Ruined

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by ADG, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Apr 4, 2021 #1 of 30
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA

Advertisements

I seem to be complaining about shows lately. Maybe it's just me, but there just seems to be a lot of wasted potential this season.

I dislike stylized shows. I hate HIGHLY stylized shows - especially when combined with self-indulgent direction. This show could be so good. Yet instead of depicting new cases in which Clarice Starling uses her unique talents and approach to solve the crimes, the producers have instead chosen to focus on - you know what - I don't know on WHAT they've chosen to focus. The story lines start off in one direction then go in another and end up going absolutely nowhere. There is no story - just "style" and would be artsy direction.

Yet another series for which I had high hopes and in which am terribly disappointed. What a waste of talent, potential, and my time!!

Sorry for the rant

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  2. Apr 4, 2021 #2 of 30
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    I very much agree. I was hoping for so much more from this show and have been highly disappointed.

jasrub likes this.
  3. Apr 4, 2021 #3 of 30
    Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    It's network TV and CBS to boot. What else did you expect?

4. Apr 4, 2021 #4 of 30
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Coming soon to a living room near you...
    Clarice: Miami
    Clarice: SVU
    Chicago Clarice

zalusky, martinp13, stellie93 and 2 others like this.
  5. Apr 4, 2021 #5 of 30
    NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al

Advertisements

the flashbacks are highly annoying, and the stories are all over the place, but there are glimmers of a good show, just waiting to emerge, if they'd let it.

the question is, will the 1p survive until they get their act together...

6. Apr 4, 2021 #6 of 30
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I didn’t make it to the halfway point of e1

7. Apr 7, 2021 #7 of 30
    Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I'm actually liking it. I don't get why she was as traumatized by Bill as she was, though. I guess because of how horrific his acts were and the fact that she hadn't even graduated and killed someone. Realistically, her PTSD really is due to her childhood.

Catherine Martin is an interesting bag of issues. They need to take that dog away from her.

NorthAlabama likes this.
  8. Apr 7, 2021 #8 of 30
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I find it watchable. It's certainly not the worst show on TV, but definitely not the best either. I must say that Michael Cudlitz looks pretty good after getting his brains bashed in by Negan.

stellie93 and Crobinzine like this.
  9. Apr 7, 2021 #9 of 30
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I took a pass once I found out it was an Alex Kurtzman production.

I see nothing in this thread to change my mind.

(And I really liked NBC's Hannibal a few years back.)

10. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    that was such a great show...

LlamaLarry and JYoung like this.
  11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That's what I was wondering about the thread originator.. did they like Hannibal?

I thought (1) the show was way too gory (I honestly think this show might have been rated X if it were theatrical a few decades ago), and (2) Mads' accent is way too hard to understand.

But I still liked it. I think I've only watched one ep of Clarice so far, though (most of P+'s shows have AT LEAST the full current season.. so it's easy to "put off").

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I actually got bored with Hannibal during the first season.

Clarice has the advantage of airing at a time when TV is pretty much a wasteland. If it had come out at the same time as Hannibal, I doubt I would have lasted more than 2-3 weeks.

13. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    That's where I am. Good enough to keep watching for a while.

14. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Hannibal was a totally surreal experience. The murder scenes were literally works of art. They were grotesque, yet beautiful at the same time. You found it horrifying, but you couldn't take your eyes away from it. I thought the show was brilliantly done and very unique, which is rare in itself these days. Mads Mikkelsen was outstanding as Hannibal and the supporting cast was great.

There really isn't a lot of great TV to watch these days, but I don't really mind it all that much. It gives me a chance to get caught up on shows that I have archived that I haven't had time to watch yet. Clarice is just one of those shows that I use to watch in my spare time when there's nothing much else to watch.

15. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    What is it about Alex Kurtzman that you don't like? I haven't heard of him, but looked at his Wiki. I didn't see anything that stood out that might make me pass on him.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    There are those who despise the last round of Star Trek movies, for which is was one of the responsible parties...

17. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    without knowing any background, the fact i'm still watching says at least something, there's too much in "my shows" for me to keep anything i don't enjoy.

18. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I thought Hannibal was great. I think I watched two episodes of Clarice. Really didn't care for Clarice.

19. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Actually, I thought this last episode was the best of the series. If this is the direction in which they intend to go, there may still be hope.

NorthAlabama likes this.
  20. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    yes, the best so far - if it turns out to be a pattern, it appears they are finally hitting their stride.