City on a Hill (SHO) - Series Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Jun 16, 2019.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

City on a Hill, a new series on Showtime, premiered Sunday June 16 2019.

From the wiki:

Set in Boston in the early 90s when the city was rife with violent criminals emboldened by local law enforcement agencies, in which corruption, tribalism and "taking it to the street" was the norm, until it all suddenly changed. This is a fictional account of what was called the "Boston Miracle". The change agent is District Attorney Decourcy Ward (Aldis Hodge), who comes from Brooklyn and forms an unlikely alliance with Jackie Rohr (Kevin Bacon), a corrupt yet venerated FBI veteran who is deeply invested in maintaining the status quo. Together they take on a family of armored car robbers from Charlestown (Jonathan Tucker, Mark O'Brien and James Michael Cummings) in a case that grows to encompass and eventually upend Boston’s citywide criminal justice system.

The first episode was pretty good. Kevin Bacon's character is a little over-the-top, but the rest of the cast, and the story, is interesting. I have no idea if this is a mini-series or an (hopes to be) ongoing series.

Matt Damon & Ben Affleck are part of the team behind this series.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    sharkster likes this.
  2. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I finally watched E01 this morning. ITA that it looks pretty good.

LOT of actors I recognized here and was surprised to see that Damon & Affleck are producers.

I wanted to look it up on IMDb because I recognized few people but couldn't remember who they are. One is Bob Wahlberg, who I now realize I recognize from the Wahlburgers show.

Also one of the Culkin brothers. I see that Dean and Scott Winters (brothers who I first knew from HBO's OZ show and Dean has also been seen in many other shows and commercials) are going to be in one episode. James Remar and Michael O'Keefe also each in one episode, and the list goes on.

The reason I decided to watch, of course - Kevin Bacon. Looks like 10 episodes but I don't know if it's a one-and-done either.

3. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I think it's a self-contained season. But like all shows, if it's successful, expect a second season.

Some sources say seven episodes, others say ten.

4. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I haven't any verification other than on IMDb where it shows the actors and how many episodes each one had. For KB and other main actors, it showed 10 episodes.

There were really a LOT of known actors for whom there was only one episode. I found that rather odd.

5. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001

Advertisements

I couldn't get past this. So bad.

6. R1elvis

R1elvis Member

May 16, 2014
    Las Vegas
    Its certainly not PC thats for sure lol. I loved it.

7. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I liked the pilot. Hell, KB is practically my cousin. Hell, he's everyone's cousin. Just so he doesn't listen to his music too loud and teach big lugs to dance.

8. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    E2 was better. KB's character isn't so in-your-face. The story is coming together.

I've already forgotten about Kinicki. Did they explain to us in E1 how that ties in to all of this?

9. Jul 5, 2019 #9 of 34
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Show keeps getting better, the story is really coming together. My only issue is I can't always tell who's who. To me, all Bostonians look alike. :D

10. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Xfinity gave up 3 months free Showtime after an extended outage so I’m enjoying this series.

(All caught up on Ray Donovan also.)

11. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Agree. This has just kept getting better. And I can finally tell all the Bostonians apart.

I've never been a huge Kevin Bacon fan. Don't dislike him, just never found him to be one of my "must-see" actors. But he's killing it in this.

One thing that I like about this series (and the writing) is you never really know which way the story is gonna go...

12. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    ...and sound alike ;)

13. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    Enjoying this one, gets better with every episode.

14. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Yeah, tonight was good.

He finally found the barrels...

15. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I thought it odd that this (or the end of the last) episode didn't have him looking for his daughter's attackers.

16. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    'City on a Hill' Renewed for Season 2 at Showtime

Showtime is returning to Boston.

The premium cable network used its time before press Friday at the Television Critics Association's summer tour to announce a second season renewal for drama City on a Hill.

The pickup arrives as the Kevin Bacon and Aldis Hodge drama about 1990s crime in Boston is set to close out its rookie run on Aug. 18.

City on a Hill is that addictive kind of meaty and messy show we love at Showtime,” said Showtime entertainment president Gary Levine. “With the inspired pairing of Kevin Bacon and Aldis Hodge and the inspired writing of Tom Fontana and Chuck MacLean, we believe there is a rich future for this compelling series.”

17. super dave

super dave Friend Of The Court

Oct 1, 2002
    Maple Shade, NJ
    I just finished the latest episode, on Comcast you can watch it OnDemand starting Sunday morning, and all I have is just wow.

18. tigercat74

tigercat74 Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Aug 7, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I think that goes with any provider. I use Spectrum to authorize the apps. Works for both Showtime and Starz shows.

19. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Another great episode. I think next week is the season (series?) finale. Decourcy/Jackie showdown?

Sarah Shahi is absolutely nailing that early 90s look.

super dave likes this.
  20. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I've watched a lot of really bad shows just because she was in them. She is rewarding my loyalty now, for this show and "The Rookie" no sacrifice is required.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    astrohip and super dave like this.