Cisco Tuning Adapter STA1520 issue, Spectrum cable

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by kad7777, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Apr 5, 2020 #1 of 53
    kad7777

kad7777 Member

Mar 20, 2008

Advertisements

*** major update page 3 ***

Been a Tivo subber since 10/19.

- Roamio Plus
    - 3 minis
    - Spectrum cable - Select Package with added Digi Tier 1 channels (tuning adapter needed for DT1)
    - Cisco Tuning Adapter STA1520

Everything's been running okay except an occasional reboot on the tuning adapter.
    About two weeks ago, I noticed many (if not all) of the Digi Tier 1 channels weren't coming in. After about a week of rebooting everything on the planet, changing connections and rebooting some more, I replaced the tuning adapter with another (same brand, same model, different year manufactured - 2011).

Same results.

Waited another week and replaced the tuning adapter again. This one is a little newer model than the last replacement (2013).

Same results.

Now, I know most people you speak with at Spectrum have no clue and just create a quagmire for Tivo customers (yes, it's happened to me), unless you get a real tech that knows what's going on and we all know that's a rarity.

I've been reluctant to schedule an appointment with Spectrum for a couple reasons. Mostly I know it's rarely a success and with COVID-19 around, no thanks.

So, I'm seeking advice and asking one question:
    Would it be advantageous to see if Spectrum can (re)pair my Cable Card with the new tuning adapter?
    I don't know why that would be necessary unless maybe a Tivo update of sorts screwed up the channel mapping originally a couple weeks ago? Or maybe a Spectrum update?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  2. Apr 6, 2020 #2 of 53
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    No, re-pairing your CableCARD has no bearing on TA performance. With Spectrum and a TA all I can do is wish you good luck. I’m amazed you are able to even get replacement TA’s! Before I cut my Spectrum cable last year, their national help desk said I needed a new TA and scheduled a service call to deliver same. The technician showed up without a TA and didn’t even know what one was. After a quick call to home base he informed me TA’s were old equipment that Spectrum no longer stocked! As it turned out the problem I was having then wasn’t due to the TA anyway — it mysteriously fixed itself soon thereafter. Perhaps they now have TA’s to provide as replacements as a result of disgusted customers (like me) turning their TA’s in when they cut cable.

Those following these forums know there has been a surge of people suddenly having problems with Spectrum TA’s. It’s something Spectrum does that causes the problem and good luck if they ever fix it — and of course they have no real incentive to do that. TA’s and TiVo’s are nothing but a PITA to them.

My advice would be to consider doing what I and many others have done: Cut cable, get a Fire TV or Roku device, and subscribe to a streaming service. YouTube TV is one of the best and includes your local stations for $50/month with an unlimited DVR. If you don’t delay too long, you can still get a reasonable price for your TiVo equipment on eBay. And warning: be sure to get a receipt when you turn in your Spectrum TA and CableCARD — they sometimes erroneously charge you over a hundred dollars for unreturned equipment.

3. Apr 6, 2020 #3 of 53
    kad7777

kad7777 Member

Mar 20, 2008
    The problems I have with Roku and Youtube are my wife watches and records many shows on different channels because of her busy schedule. There are channels she watches you do not get with the streaming companies. I tend to watch oddball channels and retro channels that the streaming companies also do not have.

4. Apr 6, 2020 #4 of 53
    kad7777

kad7777 Member

Mar 20, 2008
    *** UPDATE ***

Spectrum (supposedly) re-paired my cable card to no avail.

5. Apr 6, 2020 #5 of 53
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

A cable card is paired when the Conditional Access display has a "VAL: V" in it. The number after that is the count of times the card has been paired. This is for a Motorola M-Card, but it should be similar:
    ccCA.JPG
    Note that the cable company can not determine if the card is paired.

6. Apr 6, 2020 #6 of 53
    Ambimom

Ambimom New Member

Apr 10, 2003
    Have related issue with Spectrum and Cisco STA 1520 tuning adapter for Tivo Series 4 and Tivo Bolt.
    WNJB/N channel 23/ 1223 is scrambled. This is local NJ PBS affiliate. The Series 4 (not Bolt) daily guide update doesn't update. When it connects automatically, several stations show "to be announced." I have to manually connect two or three times before there is an actual update and the guide is completed. Spectrum keeps messing with the Tivo. Very annoying. Similar to issue last December.

7. Apr 6, 2020 #7 of 53
    Buster

Buster Member

Jul 17, 2002
    I am also having issues with my 2 Bolts and Spectrum TAs. I posted in another thread because I thought my TA issue was related to me replacing the HD on one of my Bolts, but now I'm not getting any SDV channels on either.

Can you go into the TA diagnostic screen and see what it says under "status" - mine now says "Ready -B'Cast only" which means it is in one-way communication mode and has failed to connect to Spectrum. Spectrum refuses to acknowledge that this is problematic in any way, but I'm curious if you all are having the same issue, which would suggest a problem on Spectrum's side.

Thanks!

8. Apr 6, 2020 #8 of 53
    Ambimom

Ambimom New Member

Apr 10, 2003
    M
    Mine just says "ready"

I know this is a spectrum issue. Something similar happened this past December. I lost several channels, only on the TVs with Tivos. I have another that is just on a Spectrum box. They sent technician after technician and of course it has nothing to do with the equipment. It was a software issue. A few days later they must've fixed the software because the problem disappeared. This time it's only one station, but it is annoying nonetheless.

9. Apr 6, 2020 #9 of 53
    Ambimom

Ambimom New Member

Apr 10, 2003
    Just had long back and forth with Spectrum...they say no one else is reporting any problems and they haven't been able to ping the adapters for 7 days. They again said they wanted to send a technician. Of course that's ridiculous. I live in a building that is locked down. So when they futz with their software again===and they will ==== the problem will either get worse or miraculously disappear like it did last December.

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Have you checked the channels provided by YouTube TV? Not YouTube — two different things. Go to their website and enter your zip code to see what you would get. Are you saying you get your “oddball” channels on Spectrum? YouTube TV allows up to 6 different user profiles per account so you can keep different user’s channel filters and DVR recordings separated.

11. kad7777

kad7777 Member

Mar 20, 2008
    In my area (upstate NY), Spectrum offers MeTV, Decades Channel, Comet TV, Light TV, Laff TV. Many of these you won't find on any streaming service. Also watch a lot of Motortrend, GSN, AXS, TCM and my wife has to have ALL the Hallmarks. That being said, can't find all these stations on streaming services. Or at least most of them. Might give it a month or so and wave the white flag. Hate to be paying for channels I can't see. Thought about Dish Network, but read many horror stories. If my wife didn't work so hard and DVR everything on the planet I'd put Formuler boxes on every TV, get a solid VPN and wipe my hands with cable companies. Though, I must say I had Fios not too long ago before I moved and I loved it. Unfortunately, Fios is not offered in my area which is why Spectrum can get away with murder.

boydn1 likes this.
  12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    If you’ve had truck rolls on this issue you should be able to get at least a partial credit on your account for the channels you can’t receive.

13. kad7777

kad7777 Member

Mar 20, 2008
    *** UPDATE ***

Filed an FCC complaint on 4/8/2020

Will update any progress

14. ma91cs4d

ma91cs4d New Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Can you post the RF Parameters the tuning adapter is showing? Should be on the second page of the first menu in the diagnostic menu.

15. kad7777

kad7777 Member

Mar 20, 2008

Attached Files:

16. kad7777

kad7777 Member

Mar 20, 2008
    To answer your question Buster, yes, mine says "Ready -B'Cast only"

17. ma91cs4d

ma91cs4d New Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Your FDC signal level is way low. What’s your splitter configuration from the drop to the tuning adapter?

18. kad7777

kad7777 Member

Mar 20, 2008
    Sorry, not sure what drop means. I have four TV's that have all been working fine and getting all stations up until a month ago. One main DVR Roamio in living room and three minis in different locations. All were working fine. In my living room, cable goes to splitter. One output from splitter goes to TA and the other output goes to Roamio. Then USB connection between TA and Roamio. Could that splitter have sheet the bed?

19. ma91cs4d

ma91cs4d New Member

Jan 2, 2020
    No worries. The drop is the line run by the cable company from their equipment into your house. Each splitter added between the drop and your devices will reduce the signal level. It's possible that a splitter went bad, but knowing what your current splitter configuration is will be helpful in determining how much signal you should be losing so we can compare to what you're actually losing.

20. kad7777

kad7777 Member

Mar 20, 2008
    pics from drop and splitter in living room

Attached Files: