Cisco Tuner Adapter Loses Connection Sporadically

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tivolovr, May 12, 2011.

1. tivolovr

tivolovr Full-time lurker

Feb 8, 2001
    Port...
    I have TiVo HD XL Series 3. We have Cablevision and use a Cisco Tuner Adapter. The adapter periodically just loses its connection with the TiVo. We get the message that a Tuner Adapter was disconnected. If we hit continue it picks it up again and all is well until it happens all over. When it loses the connection any recordings stop and functionality is lost.

Cablevision has replaced the Tuner Adapter 3 times, they replaced the Cable Card, they replaced the USB cable. They do not see any issue on their end. Cable repair noted that only one of the two USB slots recognizes the adapter at all.

We are 3 months post-warranty. This has been going on for some time but Cablevision kept trying to fix and now has said they think it's the TiVo.

Opinions?

2. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    There are numerous posts in this forum regarding the instability of the TA. I disconnected mine after a few months when it would continually abort recordings.
    I also use Cablevision but in NJ.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I think this is most likely a Cablevision problem, probably in the signals they are sending. Seems unlikely it would be the TiVo. The Cisco TA is used on several major systems so I don't think you can blame it for problems this bad. I assume CableVision has checked their signal levels (?).

4. tivolovr

tivolovr Full-time lurker

Feb 8, 2001
    Port...
    Can't disconnect because without the Tuner Adapter I wouldn't be able to get HD or premium stations.

Cablevision has been out five different times and claimed to check everything. They now think perhaps it is the TiVo that is losing the USB connection and then reacquiring it again. I realize anything is possible but I remain unsure. Will call TiVo on Monday and beg, I guess. I'm three months past warranty.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this specifically, where the error message is not about a lost signal but rather stating that the TA was disconnected. It's the same message one gets if one pulls the USB out.

5. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    I guess my market is set up differently, I can still get all HD non premium channels, some HD premium channels and all SD premium channels when I pull the TA out of the mix.

I'm really only missing a handful of premium HD channels when you stop and think about it. It just wasn't worth it for me to have the TA re-booting all the time. Keep us updated.

6. johnc1949

johnc1949 New Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Hello,
    I have the exact same problem with my Series 3 XL box. The only diference is that I have Charter Cable. I have had the TA and cablecards swapped out as well as the Tivo and the problem remains. I am online with Charter now to get them to come and check it out again.

One small difference is that when I see this message my TA seems to loose part of its programming. Some channels still decode while other do not. The only way to restore full functionality is to reboot the TA.

BTW, my Tivo has two M-cards, one in each slot.

Has anyone been able to find the cause or a fix for this really irritating problem?

7. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    There are several common failure modes. Probbaly the most common is the loss of TA functionality. In this case, one can still tune any non-SDV channel, just as if the TA were not connected.

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    A "Series 3 XL" has to actually be a TiVo HD XL, right? (Model #658xxxxx).
    You only need one m-card for this model, or two s-cards. Using two m-cards may be causing problems.

9. danplaysbass

danplaysbass I watch too much TV.

Jul 19, 2004
    Philadelphia
    I have a similar problem. The TiVo isn't losing connection with the TA but there are certain channels (particularly our ABC affiliate) that do not come in periodically. I have Time Warner Cable in Kansas City. I have rebooted both the ttivo and TA multiple times and that sometimes works. I thought I would ask you wonderful people before trying my luck with TWC.

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    What are your signal strength and SNR for problem channels in DVR diagnostics? What are your FDC and RDC signal levels (dBmV units) in TA diagnostics, status page?