Chuck Series Finale - Chuck vs Sarah / Chuck vs The Goodbye OAD 01/27/2012

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Win Joy Jr, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Eastern...
    Well, after 5 seasons, Chuck has had his final mission. The Nerd does get the girl, and gets the Intersect back (I thought that he would just break thru the inhibitor). Bittersweet. Casey off to find Gertrude. Morgan and Alex moving in together. General Beckman keeping the door open. No more intersects. Lots of call back to the pilot and the mythos. Jeffster off to Germany. No PaPa B... Ellie and Awesome off to Chicago (thought they were going to be recruited into the spy life). And no return of Bryce Larkin.

Thanks for the ride gang. It was a fun 5 years. Wish it could have been longer. I also just felt they overused "Sarah in peril" this season.

2. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's it?!? I want more! Waaaaahhhhh!!!!

If I had to say one thing about the episode, it was that it was a very Chuck series finale. It was as if they said "we've done our own thing on this show for 5 years - why change now?"

It was nice that they wrapped just about everyone's stories... Alex and Morgan, Casey, Ellie and Awesome, even Jeffster. The only thing I'm a little disappointed by was the decision not to restore Sarah's memories completely, especially when at it's heart, that's really been the story all along - the geek getting the girl. Yes, they left it on a hopeful note... but not a concluding note, and that hurts.

I actually liked the Jeffster performance in this episode. :eek:

They reached a bit for the Subway product placement joke in this episode. They should have had Big Mike quitting to start his own Subway franchise, maybe over in the old Wienerlicious or Orange Orange store. That would've been still as humorously obvious, but wouldn't have been as, frankly, dumb as the one they went with.

(Speaking of Orange Orange... they showed Sarah in the Wienerlicious uniform twice... but no love for the Orange Orange? WTF?)

Little tip from the TVLine interview with Fedak and Schwartz: the other guy in the helicopter with Casey was Robert Duncan McNeill, who many would remember as Tom Paris from "Star Trek: Voyager." Since Voyager, he's been almost exclusively behind the camera, most notably one of the regular producers and directors on Chuck. And in those years... damn, he's gotten old. :eek: I suppose we all have. :eek:

I was still hoping they'd find a way to have a cameo from Matt Bomer. Oh, well, even without there were plenty of callbacks to those early episodes... Sarah doing the same moves as Bryce from the first episode, the old classic Mac intersect workstation, the Wienerlicious, the mexican place, and finally wrapping up with the same beach. And Chuck again with the Intersect.

I'm going to be over here running envisioning season 6 episodes in my mind. :(

3. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Eastern...
    Regarding Sarah and the memory, I was expecting Ellie to have saved the day there. Oh well...

4. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I kind of like that they did not take the easy way out and that given the choice between getting Sarah's memory back and saving lives Chuck obviously made the choice to save lives.

It wasn't the quite the happy ending I was hoping for but I will take it.

Actually I thought this scene would have also made a great finale but they kind of blew that warm fuzzy feeling away

5. mchasal

mchasal Member

Jun 6, 2001
    NY, USA
    The way I saw it was that she fell in love with him all over again there on the beach. Didn't leave me with any doubt that the geek got the girl, again. I think that's a more powerful event than just some device that would restore her memory.

6. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    The writers took the hard way out and left it on a realistically sad but still positive note.

That's a risky move for an upbeat, quirky show where the good guys always win. Turned out well.

7. Boston Fan

Boston Fan Active Member

Feb 7, 2006
    Eastern PA
    Count me also among those who are glad that there wasn't a high-tech solution to the problem. He won her over once, and then won her all over again by just being him. Using the intersect to restore her memory would have been disappointing.

8. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
  9. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    I feel a little sad.

The ambiguous ending wasn't really that ambiguous to me. I agree that a high-tech solution would have been a bit of a cop out and that the geek winning the girl again was the better way to go.

I was hoping for Scott Bakula to make a come back.

Maybe NetFlix can do a Chuck mini-season or movie in a few years. After they do Firefly, of course.

10. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Nice wrap up to the series.

11. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I loved the end, where he was just sitting on the beach with her, telling her stories, making her laugh.

It was crazy seeing the scenes from Season 1. I had forgotten how differently everyone looked. Gonna have to go back and re-watch the pilot now.

It was a great run.

BTW, if you are in the LA area and want to see the Chuck fountain, it is located here:

N34 06.307 W118 19.913

It is in a private community so I couldn't get up to it, but I could peek over the fence. Kind of like Chuck would do:

[​IMG]

12. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    It was a pretty satisfying ending to the show. As said, lots of callbacks and sentiment.

I'm sure Sarah will get her memories back... there were hints of it all through the show.

It was sort of disappointing to me that Chuck had to use the intersect to "save the day" but I suppose it makes the circle complete for him to get the intersect back, this time on his own terms.

13. danplaysbass

danplaysbass I watch too much TV.

Jul 19, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Personally I thought it was perfect. I'm sad this show is over. It was one I truly enjoyed.

14. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    You know, after all the grief and ridicule directed its way, NBC should get a bit of praise for sticking with Chuck.

Sure, I know NBC's schedule is very thin, but I lived in fear that this quirky funny show would get yanked for some cheap-to-produce reality show.

Thanks NBC.

15. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Stay cool in heaven, NBC!

16. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I went back and watched the pilot. Very glad I did. The finalé had some great references back to the pilot. Very cool.

17. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    My TiVo dropped the ball on this one and I only have the first hour. I am not sure why it didn't pick up the second hour. I am trying to find it online. Where can I watch it? I have never missed an episode and now I miss the most important one. Urgh. Argh.

18. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Good ending... definitely got sad that it was over (damn you, unreasonable attachment to fictional realities). This was a weird one for me because I actually got into this show two summers ago during a particularly messed up time and it was the main thing I used as a distraction so I watched the first three seasons in about a month--it totally helped me get my mind of stuff, and so I feel stronger about it than a lot of other shows.

I thought the ending was good... I think leaving it the way they did was a bold move because everyone expected, and wanted, her to get all her memories back. I know the idea is that he'll win her heart again, but damn is that painful. Five years together and she doesn't remember any of it. I rarely care about relationships on shows but I'm rooting for those crazy kids.

I found it odd that Beckman was ok with leaving Chuck as a civilian with the intersect, since the whole series started because the CIA and NSA needed to protect / extract it at all costs when he got it the first time, given the fact that it includes all of our nations secrets. But now she's like "aight, peace...". Weird.

One of my favorite aspects of the show was the relationship between Chuck and Ellie since that's how my sister and I are, and so it sucked that she ended up moving, lol. I know, I know, cut the cord... but I'm a big believer in family being close so I wasn't into that idea. I did like the stuff with Jeffster though. They got tedious sometimes but I think the writers made some good choices with them this year which led to some actually funny stuff instead of just nonsense. Their stalker skills were hilarious. I also love the fact that Morgan was able to conduct an orchestra, hahah... only on Chuck.
    I agree 100%... this is probably the only example I could think of where a network did everything it could to do right by the fans of a show (maybe Fringe). A lot of it is luck that none of their other shows were big hits which left room on the schedule, but it was also the fan movements, the subway stuff, and I think, for a change, actual network loyalty that kept it coming back, when it should have technically been gone a long time ago. And giving them a final season, shortened or otherwise, is a huge blessing.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Fringe, Dollhouse, Sarah Connor...Fox has become the absolute king of giving shows chances beyond what they really deserve.

Which is ironic, considering how much crap they still take for their bad behavior in the old days! I guess Firefly left deep scars... ;)

Great ending for Chuck, which is a bit of a relief since I think the show kinda dragged on a bit too long. Then again, having, what, three? four? finalés before this one didn't really help. But good to see a hard finalé rather than yet another soft finalé...that would have been a truly sucky way to go out.

And interesting that they gave the show about as downer of an ending as they could probably have gotten away with.

20. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    The moves Sarah did in the hallway, starting with swinging through the glass over the door, were they a recapitulation of the moves Bryce Larkin did in the opening minutes of the show? I certainly recognized some, so I thought the whole sequence might have been echoing it move-for-move.

I definitely liked the ending and didn't think it was ambiguous. Chuck is still Chuck. Sarah is still going to fall in love with him all over again. And starting with the moment on the beach, it will be, for him, more of an enjoyable than anxious process. I think it was lovely. It made me tear up a bit. (I'm almost doing so again now just typing about it.)