Chuck S05E02 "...vs the Bearded Bandit" 4 November 2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Amnesia, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1 of 12
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    The whole "I was wondering who was the Luke Skywalker of the team" seemed way off to me. Now clearly the writers wanted to illustrate how much cultural memory (or whatever) is missing from Morgan, but the sentence made absolutely no sense.

In fact, it has me wondering if Verbanski is behind the missing memories...

2. Nov 7, 2011 #2 of 12
    daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    Though the glasses Morgan got the intersect from were from Beckman. I think it is just overloading his brain, he needs a governor - maybe similar to what Chuck had (or has?) at one point. It may be we are seeing what was suppose to happen to Chuck with the CIA supplied trinket.

3. Nov 7, 2011 #3 of 12
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Supposedly.

4. Nov 7, 2011 #4 of 12
    Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Well, Luke Skywalker was the only guy on his team with Jedi powers. That's the analogy.

5. Nov 7, 2011 #5 of 12
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Clearly, YOU don't have the intersect crowding critical information out of your brain! :D

6. Nov 7, 2011 #6 of 12
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Sure, but what do Jedi powers have to do with anything? If the Intersect was just something that she had "heard of", then why would she suspect that anyone on the team would have anything so advanced that it would seem like magic?

If she had said "James Bond", that would make more sense---as in "who is the super spy?"

7. Nov 7, 2011 #7 of 12
    Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    James Bond wouldn't have made any sense in that context.

James Bond doesn't have any super-powers, and works solo pretty much. And there are arguably two other people on Chuck's team that are super-spies (Sarah & Casey). I can't think of another "geek favorite with super-abilities" that is also widely known to the viewing audience that is a better fit than Luke Skywalker for that dialog.

But we're pretty much nitpicking here.

8. Nov 7, 2011 #8 of 12
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    But why would she think that anyone had super abilities?

9. Nov 7, 2011 #9 of 12
    Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    As I said, really nitpicking, which is to say, I don't care so much. But didn't she say she had heard rumors of the intersect? Maybe she put two and two together. That's what I gathered anyway. Or maybe she was just trying to butter Morgan up.

10. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Ah, but he does! Super-sex-appeal!

11. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Because she knows what the intersect is, and she knows Morgan has it. I don't get how that's not clear. Just because she made a statement that she thought it was just a rumor doesn't mean she doesn't know what it does... This is a very strange, and very off-base, nitpick.

Anyway, I like where they're going with it now. If they were gonna just move the intersect to Morgan and have Chuck be the new Sarah/Casey then it would have gotten stupid but this puts a different twist on it, and it eliminates a big plot whole which is the fact that the intersect isn't supposed to work in just anyone, so if Morgan didn't have side effects it would be cheesy. But if they're exploring it as this is what happens when a random person downloads it then it could be interesting. Plus it puts a ticking clock on getting it out.

Exploring Chuck having to work without the intersect is the right move for now. They've already covered all the other angles, now he's gonna be a spy without it, but knowing what it was like to have it. I don't think they should keep him without it for too long but I think it's definitely the right course for the character. Not sure I buy the theory that someone other than Beckman left the glasses for Chuck in an attempt to sabotage him some how because he wouldn't have had any of these problems if he did it.

Nice to see Yvonne S is still one of the hottest people ever. No one else has ever made me actually want to go rock climbing before.

I was a bit surprised to see Oliver for Smallville in such a small, non-descript role here. It wasn't even a good guest spot--anyone could have done that part. Just weird to go from a series regular gig to a stint with two scenes where you don't really do anything.

12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    That's who that was! I knew I recognized him, but hadn't gotten around to looking it up yet.

As for the Luke Skywalker thing, I made the same Indiana Jones comment as Chuck did, and thought it was odd when Morgan didn't know what Chuck was talking about. Glad to see that wasn't just an isolated incident.