Chuck: "Chuck vs The Cliffhanger" OAD 5/16/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Win Joy Jr, May 16, 2011.

1. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Eastern...
    "You may be a bada**, but I am the Intersect"...

Interesting re-boot of the concept. No more CIA/NSA. But now enter in a new mystery. Hope that the actor who plays Bryce Larkin can make a return...

They did complete the parallel of Morgan and the first season Chuck.

And they lived happily ever after...

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    "Russians. So many Russians."

And the exchange between Casey and "Volkoff" about Reagan, though I can't remember the exact lines.

3. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I thought the first 45 or 50 minutes was brilliant!! I love Chuck finales.

The wedding, the closing segment at the end and the twist I am not to sure about.

4. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    That was absolutely awesome. Perfect. Oh my. I laughed at the ending - it was brillant!

I mean, the whole episode was great, but the twist was pure genius.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    This was, without a doubt, the second-best series finalé Chuck has ever done!

6. LooseWiring

LooseWiring Active Member

Jan 6, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Sorry, but the show is called CHUCK. Giving the Intersect to Morgan is just wrong.

7. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I am betting it doesn't stay that way.

8. Billyh1026

Billyh1026 Randal Graves

May 20, 2006
    Most well written goofiest show on TV.

"I know kung-fu." hahahaha I thought 'wow, Morgan's gonna be quirky-funny as the intersect'.

9. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    This is where I am. I loved 90% of the episode (including the wedding). In the immediate aftermath, though, I'm not too sure about all of the setups for next season.

I get why they did them. Had this turned out to be the actual series finale, these changes set up the idea that Chuck and gang go on, out of our sight, to have more adventures together. And since it's not, they actually set up next year and the actual conclusion, and for logical reasons.

There's no way Chuck & Co. could do what they did in this episode and still work for the government. (It's not even credible that they are still free, but that's Chuck, so OK.) So to put them on their own, they'd need capital, which makes them a convenient recipient for Alexei's fortune. (Which would have been frozen by the government, but also never mind.) But the show is barely coherent enough most of the time anyway that I just can't feel that making money no object for the gang is necessarily the best thing for the storytelling. I think it'll introduce even worse writing habits. And it's not like a similar conceit helped a show like Human Target.

The big conspiracy? OK, I'm curious how they're going to resolve that, and it does give the gang a purpose for next season. But it isn't as though the show was written from the start to have one, so it's automatically a less-interesting narrative driver than it could have been. They just now made the idea up.

And Morgan as the Intersect? I get this one, too. They'd done about as much as they could with Chuck in that role. He went from nerd, to nerd with a computer in his head, to clumsy mission operative, to competent mission operative, to actual spy, to -- basically -- badass spy. There was nowhere else for him to go, unless you take the Intersect out of his head and let him be a spy without that (which we started to see in this episode). So you restart the Intersect with Morgan, and now the shoe is on the other foot for Chuck: he's basically Sarah or Casey to Morgan's Chuck. I get all that. Still -- I just don't think I want to see Morgan as the Intersect. The show had found just the right use for the character and I think featuring him in this way will be off-putting, at least for me. Chuck is the Intersect, not Morgan.

They've got 13 episodes to change my mind or I'm dropping the show. :)

10. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    Well I think we all know who shows up by episode 13 next year don't we as the CIA agent's words will ring true?

11. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    I liked Chuck's "Oh boy" comment :cool:

12. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Yeah, what made Chuck great with the Intersect is that he is a pretty smart guy in the first place, even if an underachieving slacker. Morgan, OTOH, is a moron, not much better than the Jeff and Lester.

They's better do it real soon after the new season starts, cause I am not interested in Morgan at all, much less as the Intersect.

13. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    As to whether Chuck gets the Intersect back or not, Chris Fedak gave interviews to Sepinwall and EW, probably among others, where he more or less addresses whether that will happen next season. If you want to know, or get a pretty good idea, those interviews are easy to find.

14. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I laughed at that! :) :up:

15. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    Has every season (except the first) ended with someone saying the line "I know kung fu"? I think it has.

16. danplaysbass

danplaysbass I watch too much TV.

Jul 19, 2004
    Philadelphia
    So I loved the finale. I'm just wondering if those glasses were supposed to be one time use only. What's to stop Chuck from putting them on and becoming the intersect again? Also, I thought I remembered that it took a special brain to receive the intersect.

17. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Without going back I am thinking the Kung Fu was only the last line in 2 seasons. The first time was when Chuck got the intersect 2.0

18. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    That is a question I had also. Why can't Chuck just put them on? Or, if Volkoff can send them one pair, can't they send another?

19. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I thought the note said it was from General Beckman.

20. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    That's who I meant. :eek: They had just been talking about Volkhoff and it stuck in my head.

Didn't Chuck say "oh boy" before? Or maybe his dad did?