Chuck, Bionic Woman, No Reservations or Last One Standing?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by justen_m, Dec 12, 2007.

1. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID

Advertisements

I'm going on vacation for a while and will have some time to catch up on some shows via TivoToGo on my laptop. I've got limited harddrive space. On my Tivo, I've got the following unwatched shows

7 hours of No Reservations (foodie travelogue with Anthony Bourdain, I like this series)
    7 hours of Bionic Woman (never watched a single episode of this show)
    10 hours of Chuck (never seen an episode of this show either)
    4 hours of Last one Standing (never seen this either, sounds like a competitive Man Vs Wild?)

I've got room on my laptop for about 14 hours of shows, which is more than enough, so I'm not planning to burn anything to DVD, etc.

Any recommendations?

2. TheGreyOwl

TheGreyOwl New Member

Aug 18, 2003
    If it were me, I'd take the 10 hours of Chuck plus 4 hours of No Reservations.

3. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    Chuck. It starts out a little bumpy but it's one of my favorite shows now. No Reservations is a good show, but you're already going on vacation, why watch someone else go on vacation? ;)

I gave up on Bionic Woman and haven't seen Last One Standing...

4. jimborst

jimborst Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 30, 2001
    IA USA
    First I'd put the No Reservations on the laptop, then I think I'd go with Chuck. I only watched the first Bionic Woman and didn't care for the show at all (don't even know if I made it all the way through). I watched the first Chuck and thought the show was good but because I just didn't want to record any more TV I cancelled Chuck too (I think I also had another in the same time). As for the Last One Standing, not something I'd watch.

5. Tyrannosullyrex

Tyrannosullyrex New Member

Oct 6, 2004

Advertisements

Yep. For the No Reservations shows, make sure it's not the ones where he was in Africa, those were kinda boring. The Cleveland one was entertaining, if only to see Harvey Pekar in his native land. Brazil and Argentina was pretty good as well.

6. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    GreyOwl has the best combination. Trust me, if you're any bit geeky, you'll love Chuck!

I just found out that most of the gaming dialog they have is ad-libbed. There was a scene where Morgen, Chuck's friend, was trying to get Chuck to play Call of Duty 4 and told him, "Come on, I need a snipe to cover my back". The writers were on set and had NO idea what he was talking about!

7. justen_m

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Thanks all. I was sort of leaning towards Chuck, because the word of mouth has been pretty good. I'm a professional computer geek, so I hope I enjoy it. I'm guessing at some point I'll probably delete all the Bionic Woman episodes unwatched (I've done this for a few series... record 'em all and wait to hear if they are worth watching before I spend my time on 'em. Dirt and Damages are the last two the come to mind).

I don't have any Africa No Reservations recorded... I do have Cleveland, Argentina, and Brazil, plus Tuscany, Hong Kong, Russia and Malaysia.

I just started the transfer... They should be ready by the time I got to bed tonight. :rolleyes:

8. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Chuck!!!

9. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Chuck is a good choice, but if you're hoping it has geek cred, forget it. It takes the same liberties with computers and technology that all mainstream Hollywood productions do.

10. justen_m

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I figure that is sort of a given. I enjoy NCIS, and you can't get much more liberal with tech than that show. ;-)

11. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Anything but Bionic Woman

12. TIVOSciolist

TIVOSciolist Bye to High Society

Oct 13, 2003
    Oakland,...
    Save Chuck and Yvonne Strahovski to watch on your full-sized TV after you get back.

13. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I would watch DVD's. 2nd choice Chuck, but only if you can't watch on TV at home...

14. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Chuck. :up:

15. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Chuck

16. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Go with Chuck, but dump Bionic Woman this show is most likely canceled and it just wasn't that hot. Not sure of LMS.

17. unicorngoddess

unicorngoddess Wooooonicorngodess

Nov 19, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Another vote for Chuck. That show just keeps getting better and better.

18. jpwoof

jpwoof New Member

May 19, 2004
    San...
    never heard of No Reservations show.. what is this about? is it worth-watching?

19. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Is Bionic cancelled? I think they totally went wrong with that actress who plays her. Not attractive and no charisma. She had to be sleeping with someone to get that role.

20. justen_m

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    It is a food-oriented travelogue with Anthony Bourdain -- chef, writer, generally funny, self-deprecating down-to-earth guy that smokes like a fish and drinks like a chimney. Each episode focuses on a particular area. Sometimes a city, sometimes a country. Locations include Las Vegas, South Carolina, Iceland, Korea, India, etc. Pretty much everywhere. He tends to go off the beaten path to sample local cuisine, some of it a bit bizarre by western standards -- such as fresh, still beating, cobra heart. It is on the travel channel. If you search for it in the guide, the name of the series is "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations" There are a couple episodes tomorrow, and looks like a marathon on Dec 23rd. It gets repeated a lot, so it is easy to catch an episode. If you like food, travel, and a wry sense of humor you should enjoy it.

I envision Bourdain as the type of person who'd write for the _Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_.