Chromecast no longer works?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by rcoaster, Sep 27, 2014.

1. rcoaster

rcoaster New Member

Sep 27, 2014

Advertisements

I have a Roamio Plus, and was please to see that I could use Chromecast to cast a video stream (via Youtube) from my phone to my TiVo. After the fall update, Chromecast no longer finds the TiVo any more. Does anyone else have this problem?

2. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    Works fine for me. You may have to reboot everything.

3. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Did I miss something? The Chromecast software will communicate with TiVo? Sounds like in this case the Chromecast would not even need to be hooked up to an HDMI port as long as the TiVo is.

4. consumedsoul

consumedsoul Member

Jan 13, 2013
    +1 for confusion... Chromecast is supposed to be a signal receiving device essentially right (similar to how TiVo 'receives' airplay-type signals)? How do they work together (and why do they need to work together is the better question I guess)?

5. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007

Advertisements

Confusion understood...

Chromecast is a product- tivo does not have Chromecast. TiVo has support for DIAL, the protocol used by Chromecast and it allows you to "cast" certain OTT services to your TiVo... Such as Youtube and Netflix

6. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    How would you go about doing this? TiVo has Netflix and Youtube already installed.

7. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Chromecast app never found a TiVo

8. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    It's just for if you happened to be browsing on your phone or iPad, then you can just "cast it" directly to your TiVo, a la' the Chromecast, since TiVo has the same DIAL support built in. You also have the option of using the apps directly on the TiVo as you mention.

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You pull up the corresponding app on your phone/tablet, in the corner there is a little icon that looks kinda like the antenna signal strength. Click that and it will pull up a list of available devices. Select the TiVo. Now play a video. It will automatically launch the corresponding app on your TiVo and play the video. And you will have basic control over the video from your phone/tablet like being able to scrub and pause/play.

10. caughey

caughey Member

May 26, 2007
    Orange County
    I only get the "cast" icon on youtube (from chrome browser on laptop) if I already have the youtube app open on TiVo.

11. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I was watching a recorded show on TiVo and when I selected the TiVo from Chromecast on my smartphone the YouTube video came right up on my TiVo.

It looks like this only works with apps on the TiVo. I.e. It doesn't work with HBOGO.

Still neat, but it's a shame we can't do more with it.

12. buckyswider

buckyswider Member

Aug 31, 2003
    I assume this will only work if your Roamio is on wifi, and not hard-wired into your network???

13. Tico

Tico Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Dec 9, 2002
    Nope, Mine is hardwired and working fine.

Wifi and wired devices must be connected to the same router

14. buckyswider

buckyswider Member

Aug 31, 2003
    Hmmm, interesting. Fired up youtube on my phone, hit the chromecast button, and my roamio and all four mins showed up as selections. As others have stated I'm not sure how useful it is in this incarnation, but it's interesting nonetheless. Maybe TiVO will come out with a screencast app? The chromecast standalone app doesn't find the tivo boxes....

15. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Dec 2, 2007
    Northern VA

That is interesting. The Chromecast option showed up for me for Netflix and YouTube. It didn't show up for Amazon Prime.

- Merg

16. NJ Webel

NJ Webel Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    Folks, when you use the term 'chromecast' and you are talking about seeing this on your phone or tablet:

[​IMG]

You are using the incorrect terminology, which can be confusing to many. What you are talking about is simply called 'casting'.

'Chromecast' is a device. Here is a picture of one:

[​IMG]

and Tivo does not require this to cast YouTube or Netflix onto your big screen. (Tivo can't interface with this device at all.)

As stated in Post #5 above, Tivo and Chromecast both use DIAL to cast certain streams from your mobile device to your TV.

17. tatergator1

tatergator1 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yes, lots of incorrect terminology being thrown around and making this topic even more confusing. Tivo has supported the DIAL protocol since they made the switch to HTML5 Youtube and Netflix apps, which has been about 1 year now.

DIAL (DIscovery And Launch) is a protocol, written by Netflix and Youtube and formerly used by the Chormecast device, that is included on Tivo which essentially identifies that the Tivo exists on the home network and that supported apps can make a call to the Tivo to launch the Youtube or Netflix app. The 2nd screen device is able to tell the Tivo to launch an app and then have that app display a particular video. The Tivo is the device requesting and displaying the content from the internet, the 2nd screen app is merely a "remote" for the app on the Tivo.

It's a great feature, especially for Youtube. I find it much simpler to search and find content via the iOS app and then "cast" the video to my Tivo instead of using the Tivo remote to type in search terms into the Youtube app one painful letter at a time (unless you have a Tivo Slide remote).

18. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Part of the problem is this icon. I automatically associate this with Chromecast. I don't recall seeing it before. The ability to cast is part of Chromecast.

Are you saying it is independent of Chromecast? I'm thinking if my tablet didn't have the Chromecast functionality installed I wouldn't be seeing the cast icon.

19. blacknoi

blacknoi Active Member

Jan 23, 2006
    I have no Chromecasts, but I see that icon in the YouTube app on my iPhone at home, and when I tap it, it shows me all the Tivo Roamios (and minis) on my home network.

If I tap one of them, that Tivo automatically launches YouTube and opens the video.

20. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006

That icon was on lots of apps for years before the Chromecast came out. It has nothing to do with Chromecast. I think YouTube on the Xbox 360 was the first app I saw work with DIAL.

This kind of thing happens periodically. I heard someone say that the NFC payment logo on a checkout terminal was the "apple pay icon." We associate technologies with the most common instance of that technology.