Chopped: All Stars (all episodes, including spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by sushikitten, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Mar 7, 2011 #1 of 26
    sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...

Advertisements

Oh. My. Gawd. I've been dying for this version since the show started!!

Although the first round of four losing contestants from the last season of The Next Food Network Star wasn't really what I'd call "Food Network Stars" ... it was still a blast to watch. It was also the first time I've seen a chef LEAVE OFF THREE BASKET INGREDIENTS!!! And still be loved by one of the judges.

I can't wait for upcoming rounds where some of the Chopped judges get to reverse roles.

2. Mar 8, 2011 #2 of 26
    rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Yeah! Looking forward to seeing the real star chefs perform. The Chopped judges panels always has one or two (or all three) judges that are "noted" "expert" "restaurateur" or "executive chef" - but who has heard of them? This will be a good chance to see what they can do.

Same reason I love Top Chef Masters (season 3 starts April 6).

Only thing I dislike about the show is the sob stories from the cheftestants. How they're cooking the recipes from their deceased grandfather and that they need to prove to their family that they made the right choice in career. I guess it bugs me more when it looks like the judges are buying into it.

3. Mar 8, 2011 #3 of 26
    JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    I hate the backstories. Don't care. Maybe that makes me heartless, but I don't care about that, either. And I really, really didn't like any of the Next Food Network Star losers, but if I'd had to pick one to win, it would've been Brad. I can't stand Mike, hated him during the season, and /really/ wanted him to get some comeuppance here.

4. Mar 8, 2011 #4 of 26
    sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Yeah, the backstories don't do much for me, either, though I do like to know if they're an exec chef, caterer, instructor, etc.

5. Mar 8, 2011 #5 of 26
    JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002

Advertisements

Oh, THAT part I have no problem with. It's the 'my gramma taught me how to make this, she's from KOREA' and 'my daddy has prostate cancer and that's why I'm playing for this charity' and Alex going all gooey over a dish she would have LAMBASTED had anyone else put it up - 3/4 of the required ingredients were missing - because of Lisa's story. Listening to her try to find some way to justify putting Lisa through to the next round made me literally scream at my TV.

Blech.

And it doesn't look like Alex is going to cook, I really would've liked to have seen her back there.

6. Mar 8, 2011 #6 of 26
    WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    This is what I'm really looking forward to. I want to see the judges get knocked down a peg or two. I remember seeing Jeffrey Zakarian on Iron Chef America getting beat down by Morimoto. Final score 57-43.

7. Mar 8, 2011 #7 of 26
    Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    That devilled egg took too much time for a fringe basket ingredient (bottarga). Even if it tasted incredible and you heard angels singing, NFW do you go through - fake drama and suspense at its worst and most cynical. If Lisa had gone through, whoever got chopped would have pulled that cleaver out of the wall and buried it in her head.

8. Mar 8, 2011 #8 of 26
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Put me down for - don't like the sob stories either. Can the whiny stuff and move along, sez I.

Re: E01 - I was rooting for Brad. :( Still cannot stand Lisa so was glad to see her get the ax quickly. bwahahaha

This should be fun, even though it is just a mini-series season. I wish that Alex G was going to be a contestant, though. :D

9. Mar 8, 2011 #9 of 26
    snowjay

snowjay 40mph couch potato

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    I agree about The Next Food Network Stars not really being stars. I want to see real personalities up there. You'd think they would open with some heavy hitters for the first show. The next few episodes should be good.

10. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Yeah, ok episode, glad these "stars" are done with now (well except for 1).

I REALLY hate that middle female judge, she always acts like her dog just died 5 min before the show, I just want to reach through the TV and slap her, so annoying!

Can't wait for the next episodes.

11. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Oh thank God there were some real all-stars in this episode, not just NFNS losers. Last week was just pitiful.

I really enjoyed the second episode. It was obvious it would come down to Anne and Robert, but it was still really fun to watch. Both because of the quality of the cooking -- and also because the professionals just seem to be having fun cooking, and not making everything a personal drama and freaking out. I really enjoyed Top Chef Masters for the same reason. And I love Anne and Robert's trash talking and interplay. Fun!

12. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Yeah that was great! Very good quality, and even all four of them would destroy most of the chefs on regular Chopped. Obviously they all had to swing for the fences, so when Duff and the 5 Fix lady messed up a touch, it's due to that.

Can't wait for the next 2 eps and the finale!

13. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    It did seem odd at the end when Robert lost. I can only recall one criticism of his food, and that was the size of the haggis patty. Anne had more substantive criticism (failure to remove the silver from the chops). I guess her food just taseted better overall. It felt that they were setting up for a Robert victory and then Anne won, with no real explanation of it. Very enjoyable otherwise. Although they should have spread these chefs in more shows instead of putting them all in the same show. Anne against the winner from last week? Really? He shouldn't even be in the same room let alone on the same show with someone of her talent and skill.

14. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I was just coming to post this. Michael is going to get embarrassed in the finals.

The remaining chefs set to compete:

Anita Lo
    Beau MacMillan
    Geoffrey Zakarian
    Jacques Torres
    Maneet Chauhan
    Nate Appleman
    Aaron Sanchez
    Amanda Freitag

15. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    I was coming to post the same thing. :) Michael is SO far out of his league. I knew from the minute they started cooking that it was going to come down to Ann & Robert - they just both have more experience with the type of cooking that is required for Chopped - especially Ann with her Iron Chef experience -she's used to being on a clock and given curveball ingredients. I loved watching she & Robert together. I was hoping Duff would make it out of Round 1 at least, though. I don't like the 5 Ingredient Fix chick. :)

16. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    I was in awe of Robert and Ann. :eek: I had NO idea you could do that with a slab of meat and a wooden spoon. :eek:

17. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    This episode finally had All-Stars. Like others have said, it was obvious from the beginning that it'd be Ann and Robert in the finals. Both of them have competed regularly on shows where there is a major time crunch (Iron Chef and Dinner Impossible). They are way out of Claire's league, and Duff hasn't cooked on the line in a long time. With upcoming shows, I am looking forward to seeing Aaron Sanchez. On Chefs vs. City, he's shown he can cook under the gun.

Robert's stuffed venison loin was amazing. I've seen every episode of chopped and that is the most impressive accomplishment I can remember.

[edit] Also Amanda Freitag, as she did pretty will on The Next Iron Chef. And Nate, and Chauhan.

18. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    IIRC, Sanchez did OK on Next Iron Chef as well.

19. sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    The third ep was better than I thought it would be. We didn't think we recognized the names, but when we matched them to faces, we did.

We loved when the chocolate guy pulled cocoa nibs from his pocket, saying he always carrys some with him.

20. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Yet another episode of amazing cooking improvisation. :D

The "Next Food Network Star" wannabe guy is going to be blown away in the finale. I almost feel sorry for him. :eek: