1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Netflix *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by 2004raptor, Oct 27, 2018.

1. 2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    Not sure if there's already a thread but I couldn't find one.

Anyone watch and of this yet??? My wife and I watched the first episode and were kinda "meh" about it. I don't mind spoilers or whatever if others want to talk about the show. But I was curious if it got better for any of those that might share my thoughts?

2. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Haven't seen it, but am a big fan of Kiernan Shipka from her work on Mad Men.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  3. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    If you want to make this a season/spoiler thread please ask mods to change the title to say "spoilers"...

I was thinking about spending some time on this this weekend as we have a big rainstorm basically all weekend. I'm hoping it's good...

4. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I started another thread before I say this one. Copied from my other thread:

So I have watched the first three episodes so far and I am liking it. It was advertised as a dark occult show, but I think the actress who plays Sabrina really keeps the show lite enough to be enjoyable. The contrast between her two aunts (Zelda, who is all about the their dark master, the devil, and Hilda, who is just a little kooky.)

I know this is done by the same people, and is in the same universe as as Riverdale, but I have n er watched it.

5. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    Nothing like the fluff melissa Joan Hart tv show, it’s fairly dark. I’ve watched first 2 episodes and will continue. Kiernan is a talented actress haven’t seen her since mad men

6. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Everybody is so mean.

7. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Totally not in my wheelhouse but I'm three episodes in and it's not bad at all. Kiernan Shipka seems like a fine actress so far.

8. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I'm on episode 8 I think. Much darker than the original and I keep trying to fit her character into the old tv show character. I did have to laugh that Hilda was dreaming about the school principal. Seemed like a fun throwback to the original series.

Trying to figure out why it is so important for her to sign the book. I'm guessing there is going to be some prophecy or some such that her half mortal nature is going to make her stronger than everyone else and by getting her to sign, that prevents it from happening.

I did see that they have already done the 20 episodes, even though 10 are only on Netflix for now. The show looks like it was written for the CW and most likely was considered too controversial, due to a gender queer friend and a pansexual cousin. That's probably a bit further than the CW wants to go.

9. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm four episodes in and I'm already tired of the Weird Sisters.

10. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I finished it and was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. Looking forward to next season. I got tired of hearing Sabrina say "Harvey" half a billion times, though.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Contrary to apparently everybody, I thought Kiernan Shipka was the weak link. Her mannered, formal diction often made her come off as cold and distant, especially in a cast that otherwise felt very naturalistic. She certainly didn't ruin it, but I think she's the only thing standing between it being a decent show and a very good one.

The writing was sensational. There were any number of times I was really surprised they went there, especially in making Sabrina such a dark, selfish person (e.g., when she murders the Weird Sister, hoping she'll come back and that the forces of evil will let her get away with the trick she's trying to pull off...which of course they don't).

12. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I got hooked on it pretty quickly and enjoyed it and thought most of the cast was great.

I loved Kiernan Shipka on Mad Men - and I thought she was good here - but she has this weird habit of moving her head a lot when she is talking - started to bug the hell outta me.

I really enjoyed the episodes that were about one demon - maybe more than the overall arc stuff. It reminded me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer a little bit...

13. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I wonder when the second part is going to air. They've already filmed it according to IMDB. They have credits for 20 episodes, not 10.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But they are technically two separate seasons, not two halves of one season. I suspect it will be about a year after the first season...

15. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

A safe bet is close to Halloween Day next year (October), an optimistic bet is close to Valentine's Day next year (February).

I am keeping my fingers crossed for February with Michelle Gomez in full on insane mode - to crib from a review of episode 1 in my favorite dead tree newspaper "No one does glittering-eyed madness like Gomez, and she is so far tapping into about 1% of her reserves of bonkersness" >
    Chilling Adventures of Sabrina review – where has the magic gone?

16. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    Netflix calls it part one not season one

17. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    I tried to like this show but I'm done 1/2 way through episode 5. just can't get into the unappealing characters and too slow moving storyline

18. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Surprised I am liking this as I'm not into teen dramas. Maybe it's the darker tone I'm liking as well as it's Harry Potter vibe.

Also, Kiernan Shipka is very appealing and likeable here.