Chiefs Season Archive-How?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Nortnarg, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Nortnarg

Nortnarg New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    So, I would like to archive the entire (World Champs) Kansas City Chiefs football season that I currently have on my Tivo Bolt. It would be nice to be able to burn to a DVD, or hard drive, but not sure that is possible with copyright laws and all. At least would be nice to archive off of the Tivo somehow and later be able to view myself on my own equipment.

So I have never even looked into this until now.
    I've done a little research today and have more questions than answers.
    I understand that Tivo Desktop is no longer a thing.?
    I have very briefly looked at pyTivo and kmttg.
    Both of those seem intimidating at first look and have not found clear tutorials or instructions that make sense to me.
    My setup is Tivo Bolt on Ethernet wired to same network as my Windows 10 PC, and Samsung smart TV.
    Ive never tried to connect through the PC before.

So can this be done?
    Thanks for any help!

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Which software version? How many hours of content?

3. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    kmttg may look intimidating, but it really isn't, which is why there are essentially no tutorials. You might be taken a little bit aback because of its Java interface. Pretty much every control in the app has a tooltip explaining what each function does. I also find it to be quite intuitive, if you're willing to put in the time. It should automatically find your TiVo and list those shows that are downloadable to your PC. Being what you want to transfer is owned by the NFL, it may be copy protected and then therefore not transferable.

I also highly recommend that you spend 10 minutes looking at the kmttg wiki, to get familiar with the product.

Nortnarg likes this.
  4. Nortnarg

Nortnarg New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Software version 21.9.6v7-USC-11
    1 TB Bolt is 95% full at this time. Not sure how much of that is Chiefs.

5. Nortnarg

Nortnarg New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Thanks mbernste, I will certainly look deeper into this and thanks for the link!

6. Nortnarg

Nortnarg New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    To follow up, I used kmttg to copy files to the PC. That is working well. I tested a show first and was able to view the copy with VLC and also was able to open in Handbrake to be able to burn to a DVD. Haven't actually tried that with an NFL show yet, but looks promising.
    Thanks for the tips!

One question though, if I delete a show from the Tivo box, it looks like I can add the file back to the Tivo later to view on the TV? Is that correct? If so, what more can I ask for?!:)

7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Another dirt-easy, user-friendly software to use for transfers: pyTivo Desktop (adds an easy-to use interface to the included pyTivo, and is a simple, one-button install process for it all).

From your info. above, it looks like you are on the TE4/Hydra user interface. Shows cannot be transferred from PC to TiVo box under TE4 (they can be under the TE3 UI, and pyTivo Desktop can be used for this). However, Plex can be used to stream a show to the TiVo box.

8. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    Before I even read Mikeguy's response I was going to say the same exact thing. I am also a huge fan of Plex. That being said, Plex is fairly easy to set up but you can get a little bit lost in the weeds if you delve into the more advanced settings. Plex and TiVo questions often come up on Leo Laporte's Tech Guy radio show. You might want to check out the show notes to see if your question was answered. If not, why not call in to the show? His show airs nationally live from 2 PM - 5 PM Eastern on Saturday and Sunday and there is a corresponding IRC chat you can join as well.

Oh, and if you listen to the show and you hear him mention "Mike B," that would be me. :D

9. Nortnarg

Nortnarg New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Mikeguy, I downloaded pyTivo, but have not installed yet. I will look closer at that when I get some time.
    I did find that kmttg was, as you said, mbernste, much easier to use than at first look.
    I have Hydra and also have Plex in use mostly for music and a few movies. I have not got into the gears too much in Plex.
    It is good to know that I can’t transfer from the PC. I won’t knock myself out trying.
    I used to listen to Tech Guy but got out of the habit. I’ll have to subscribe to the podcast again.
    Thanks to you both for the tips. I feel like I’m back in the loop now!
    Cheers! Ron