Chernobyl (HBO) Mini-Series Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, May 6, 2019.

1. May 6, 2019 #1 of 80
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Chernobyl on HBO -- 5 part mini-series, premieres May 6 2019.

from wiki...
    Chernobyl
    is an historical drama television miniseries created by Craig Mazin. The series, a co-production between American cable network HBO and British television network Sky, is set to premiere in both the United States and the United Kingdom on May 6, 2019. The series depicts the Chernobyl nuclear disaster that occurred in the Ukrainian SSR in April 1986.

Chernobyl has received acclaim from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, it has an 100% approval rating with an average score of 8.91 out of 10 based on 19 reviews. The site's critical consensus reads, "Chernobyl rivets with a creeping dread that never dissipates, dramatizing a national tragedy with sterling craft and an intelligent dissection of institutional rot." On Metacritic, it has a weighted average score of 83 out of 100, based on 20 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".

Mikeguy likes this.
  2. May 6, 2019 #2 of 80
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Holy moley, that was incredible. One of the best first hours of any show I've watched. I'm lucky it's an HBO series, and not Netflix, I'd be up all night binging it.

You really felt bad for everyone involved, especially at the plant. The workers and the first responders. I think most of them started to realize, fairly quickly, they were dead men walking.

I can't recommend this enough. Fascinating hour.

waynomo likes this.
  3. May 7, 2019 #3 of 80
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Has there been a similar film Re: 9/11 addressing the misinformation fed to our first responders regarding conditions at Ground Zero? Had to remind myself of this as I was considering how the Soviets could act this way.

4. May 7, 2019 #4 of 80
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I haven't watched it yet but I've been trying to set a One Pass for it for a week. For some reason, a "Chernobyl" entry showed up in the OP list but it says that no information is available and wouldn't allow a One Pass to be set. I had to scroll through the HBO guide data for Monday to set it to record the first episode.

5. May 7, 2019 #5 of 80
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    There is an issue with the SP settings on this series...

Chernobyl on HBO

Checking the Season Pass Alerts forum daily is a great way to keep up with this info.

waynomo likes this.
  6. May 7, 2019 #6 of 80
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Thanks for the heads up! Sounds interesting.

7. May 7, 2019 #7 of 80
    waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    There have been several 9/11 documentaries and this area has been covered.

A lot of them used to air around the anniversary. I can't say I've noticed one in a few years.

(Spoiler: it was an inside job) :)

ETA: Interesting site.

9/11 - Top Documentary Films

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  8. May 7, 2019 #8 of 80
    Jed1

Jed1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Frackville, PA.
    I fully agree this first episode is really intense. I thought that they would include how the accident happened but it turned out better the way this series starts. I understand the whole series is going to be like the first episode.
    I also could have watched the entire series from beginning to end.

astrohip likes this.
  9. May 7, 2019 #9 of 80
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    The radiation levels were so high, that some workers received a fatal dose within one minute! They were initially unaware of how high they were.

10. Jed1

Jed1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Frackville, PA.
    Yea the workers had no training or experience with nuclear reactors. Only one of them worked on a nuclear sub but he had no experience with the reactor. The first responders had no training either. The piece the one fire fighter picked up was a piece of graphite from the core of the reactor and those pieces were all over the place. Later on men will have to go on the roof of the plant and physically remove the pieces and throw them over the side of the building. They only can be on the roof for 45 seconds.
    What is unique about this series is this accident is still ongoing and will be for thousands of years.

astrohip likes this.
  11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Aggressive, willful ignorance isn’t interesting, it’s concerning.

Tony_T likes this.
  12. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Excuse me?

13. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    "Go get the good dosimeter." Yikes!

deli99 and krkaufman like this.
  14. deli99

deli99 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Redondo...
    And the good one broke as soon as they turned it on!

15. purwater

purwater I make tasty water

Aug 25, 2005
    SW Virginia
    My wife and I enjoyed the first episode. It's hard to believe that's how they managed to run a nuclear power plant. Honestly it's amazing they didn't have an accident before this one. The boss of the plant (can't remember his name) kept saying they were wrong that the core had exploded. I've never seen anybody in such denial. I mean everybody that goes to check can't be delusional.

16. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Massive amounts of denial on a daily basis is the human condition as is willing/purposeful ignorance, always with some self-serving goal. History is chock full of such examples and the only reason these are recognized later is because it is deemed distant enough to be "safe". I wonder how well this HBO series WOULD HAVE playED in the USSR?
    How many businesses are being run and controlled by folks at the top who actually have a clue as to how that work actually gets done right?
    The fact is that humans don't really want the truth or "reality", they want a good, stable, comforting illusion and a readily available scapegoat when things go wrong.
    I enjoyed the episode in question precisely because it gave some insights in the human condition and it's foibles.
    Edited to reflect the past tense of the USSR as this confuses some folks.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    krkaufman likes this.
  17. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    I'll be watching the first episode tonight, and looking forward to it based on the preview I saw recently and this thread.

18. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I started watching it as a background task on another monitor while doing something else, as I often do for other Documentary/Drama type shows. It didn't really work that way, the tension didn't really convey well. Having read this thread, I knew it was supposed to be better than that, so I started over again on the TV, without distraction. Much, much better that way.

waynomo likes this.
  19. Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    Where's that?

20. xuxa

xuxa Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2001
    At the time no one believed that the type of reactor core at Chernobyl could blow up, much more logical that it was the tanks, add in culture of communism/national pride, the denial is easy and expected.

cheesesteak likes this.