Cheesy way to force a successful burn

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by Scuba_Steve1974, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Scuba_Steve1974

Scuba_Steve1974 New Member

Aug 9, 2006

Advertisements

I do a lot of burning and sometimes find that the TiVo craps out and can't burn. It always seems to be when the disc approaches full. This made me assume the bug was caused by a failure to read data from the harddrive fast enough for the burn process. Sure enough, that's what this seems to be!

To get around this bug what I do is pull the video source cable from the TiVo before the burn. This causes the TiVo to stop caching live TV to the harddrive because there is no video! If you perform a burn now then the TiVo can dedicate all of is harddrive accessing to this process. Once the burn finishes you can restore the video cable and then delete the programs you just burned. Chances are, they are very fragmented files!

I only do this when my TiVo gives me trouble.

2. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Intriguing! Thanks for the tip. I'll try the next time. It certainly would be faster than a full reboot!

3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I assume changing to a channel you don't receive would have the same effect.

4. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Alas, did NOT work for me! Either my DVD drive is failing (doubtful as used very little) or I'm running into an OS bug or the occasional problematic show that won't burn. I've gotten "Saving Failed" now several times, especially on Comanche Moon (saving only 1 episode works, but not all 3.)