Checking for available disk space on the HR10-250

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by k.Trout, May 11, 2006.

1. k.Trout

k.Trout New Member

Sep 14, 2004

Advertisements

To any of the veterans out there a question from a relative newb. Is there a way to check the amount of available disk space on the HR10-250? I have looked and looked and can't seem to find a way to estimate how much room I have left to record. Am I missing something easy?

2. coertell

coertell New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    There is no way to check. I just go through my recorded shows and add them up to see how close to 30 hours I am. This only works though if you are recording only HD shows like I do since there is a difference in the amount of space a SD show takes vs. a HD show.

3. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    here's a bass ackwards way

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=286094

basically you turn on suggestions...let it fill up for a week or so then you tell how much space you have left by how many pages of suggestions are recorded.

after reading the thread if you have questions, post back

my most important warning would be to use at least a default of 8-1 for HD space. 1 HD is 8SD. Can't go wrong being conservative

---
    I found another write up i did. Bit wordy but oh well

So from now on, if you have your now playing list sorted by date, at the bottom of that list will be suggestions. (if you dont know already, you can use the advance key to go right to the bottom of the list on the HD tivo but not on any other machine i think). They will have a black icon next to them. If you sort by alpha, they will be mixed in so I prefer to keep the list by date.

if you go to 'pick progams to record' and hit suggestions, it will show you all that will be recorded, providing you dont have anything yourself recording. They will never override your recording. This doesn't matter but if you are curious you can check what it will record. I never look at it really.

it will take a few days to 'fill up' but what will happen is at the bottom of your NP list, you will have all the suggestions. there are 8 programs per page listed. However keep in mind when you scroll, the last one becomes the first one on the next page. I ignore this fact for the most part. So, what I do is, for every page of suggestions, I assume I have room for 1- 1 hr hi def program or 8 -1 hr standard def programs. This is by NO means perfect, but it's a great approximation.

The reason it isn't perfect is because if tivo isnt recording any suggestions at the moment, or if it isn't scheduled to after you have just deleted some shows, it may take time to 'build up' to a 'full' tivo, if you know what I mean.

Also, if any of the suggestion are in hi def, each one of those is equivalent to a 'regular' page of suggestions, if you know what I mean. For example if you have one page of suggestions (8 items) and there are 2 1 hr programs in hi def, you 'really' have 16 hours of SD recording available in those 2 hi def suggestions.

4. PRMan

PRMan New Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Yorba...
    Add a 400 GB drive and then you won't have to worry about it... :)

Seriously, suggestions are the only way.

5. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA

Advertisements

ur joking...even after adding a 250....i still have a full hdtivo (3-4 pages usually empty and always playing catchup)

then ordered a 2nd one for HD conflicts and that usually has 6-8 empty pages thankfully

now let's not even talk about the pages of stuff sitting on the unsubbed T60 that i have yet to watch...entire BSG series etc

6. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I count a one hour SD show as 1/9 of an HD show. So if I have nine hour long SD shows and five hour long HD shows that is 6 hours out of the 30. It's not exact, but it let's me know when we need to start one of our "weekend of TV" marathons.

7. xnevergiveinx

xnevergiveinx New Member

Apr 5, 2004
  8. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Come to the DarkSide

May 22, 2004
    Newport...
    There was a post I made about this awhile ago at: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...ad.php?t=185220 Here is the gist of it:

I am shi**y at math, but I think this is correct:

Standard Def & High Def
    100 & 15
    50 & 22.5
    25 & 26.25

Which means: You can have (roughly) 100 hours of SD & 15 hours of HD TiVo'd before you are full. Or 50 SD & 22.5 HD, etc. Does this sound right to everyone? Can any of you math geeks out there check my math? Maybe even take it a step further by breaking it down hour by hour? I know that all of these numbers are give or take an hour, due to bitrates and all that other crap.

9. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    Doesn't the TWP Info module still show an estimate of recording time left? I know it give % used/% free info. Of course, you have to modify your box to run TWP. ;)

10. ayrton911

ayrton911 F1 TiVo

Sep 4, 2000
    USA
    I still don't understand why they never added a meter. Echostar boxes have this, and it works fine.

11. thepackfan

thepackfan Member

May 21, 2003
    Plano, TX

With TWP, there is an info screen which estimates the number of hours deleted or unused. You should know that with anything greater then about 80% full, there is a possibility of current NPL shows will be deleted. I look at my deleted shows for a more accurate estimate of time left.

12. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    From that post:

"For anyone interested, I have written a little app that runs on a Windows PC that will estimate the space remaining on a TiVo unit that is networked and running version 7.x."

The HDTiVo can't be networked (without hacking it) and doesn't run version 7.x of the TiVo software. It runs a version about half of 7.x. ;)

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I don't know if any of the Tivo people have officially stated this, but the general *belief* is that they wanted the UI to be "simple" (though simply hitting the one button on my non-Tivo hard drive/DVD recorder to show free space on the hard drive and DVD at the current recording level is easy).. and that most people use the "only record some shows, let it auto delete" kind of thing.

Basically, those of us who actually want to watch everything we record are supposedly not the intended audience.

BTW, I use the suggestions skanky workaround. I *would* have everything set to save until I delete if Tivo essentially *instantly* updated the To Do list when I deleted a show.. (i.e. I could be full, delete a show at 7:59, and it would record a new show at 8). Since it doesn't do it that fast, I risk with a lot of shows at !.

I have been offloading some things to my DVD recorder, and hope to get some more onto DVD-R at some point (mostly old musical performances and such).

14. jautor

jautor Also wants a pony

Jul 1, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I use the suggestions methods when I care (like leaving town for a week), but you don't need to count everything up... Just count the HD shows, SD shows are in the round off...

It's a good reason to give three thumbs up to Sunrise Earth :)

15. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    They never added a meter because it goes against the Tivo concept, which is a recorder that includes a digital assistant to manage this, and everything else, automatically for you. Tivo wants to be perceived as the system for the non-technical owner, so they eschew the trappings of their own technical sophistication.

They figure that a counter and other technical readouts might add an air of intimidation for the casual user. If you have a system that records programs without you even ever having to know when they air or what channel they air on, they probably figure you also probably don't want to be bothered by any other minor details. It's the "buy sausage, eat and enjoy sausage, but never watch it being made" theory. And it's probably only those who want to micromanage such things themselves, like myself, that are irked by this. If you are a casual viewer and rarely do much more than add a SP, Tivo works wonderfully. If you are a dedicated couch potato, it still works wonderfully, but if you don't micromanage it you might still miss a show or two. I think I missed 4 shows this year. With DISH PVRs I'd be lucky to miss 4 shows every month.

And"fine" is an interesting characterization. You might notice that an E* PVR eats about 1:06 to 1:12 off the timer for every single recorded hour. In fact, a "60-hour" recorder (60 hours "available" when empty according to the counter) will fill up in as little as 42 hours. They have waaaaay waaaay overestimated the approximate time available on their boxes, in their favor, not ours. I would rather use the suggestions approach, which is at least accurate, than depend on an inaccurate counter.

16. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    If only that were true. Both my HR10's have added 400G drives for a total of 166 HD hours, and both are dangerously close to full. :)

17. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I'm just adding on this topic as it seems appropriate

The short question is, why doesnt tivo record suggestions 100% of the time? Even if i haven't thumbed up 'everything' I do have enough a smattering of tastes checked that I would think it should be running 24/7, space willing

long version:

Why don't suggestions record all the time when there is space/time totally free? What I"ve done in the past is go thru the guide and thumb up various series shows (those that are on a regular basis every day/week etc). For instance there are countdowns on all the video channels, there are news shows on every sunday morning, and i think cnn records in 4-5 hour blocks regularly, weather channel etc etc. I use suggestions HEAVILY in determining space, especially on weekends we go away (to see if enough room and we can leave ;)).

Yesterday i looked at suggestions and there were only 4 scheduled even though the daytime hours were totally free. Tons of home shows were thumbed up but weren't recording. And there was definitely space as we just watched a few HD programs the previous day and deleted them.