Check your tivo clock

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tim_m, Jul 13, 2017.

1. tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I don't know if this has happened to anyone else but yesterday and today when my Roamio connected to tivo and downloaded the guide data it set the clock wrong. Yesterday it was 4 minutes too fast today it was 7. A quick connection again to the tivo service fixes it but still wtf is Rovi doing that they suddenly can't tell its 12:42 not 12:49. Last night i didn't even notice it until it screwed up all of my recordings. So now i have to not onlly make sure it actually downloads the data but sets the right time?

2. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Maybe Rovi counting the minutes before they can ditch the hardware business? :)

3. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Mine (Bolt, not that it matters) did this, this morning. It went between 6 and 7 minutes ahead in a service connection. As soon as the connection was finished I ran another one and that corrected it.

My other Bolt is still right, but it doesn't connect for today until 5pm so I'll have to check that one before the evening recordings begin.

More stuff for us to babysit. Thanks, Rovi.

4. tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I know its not comforting to you but at least i know i'm not alone.

sharkster likes this.
  5. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Hey, nothing wrong with that. :)

6. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I just checked, 6 minutes to fast on my mini, but correct on the Roamio. Strange, I thought they would match.

7. amyf

amyf Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Central NJ
    That explains it. We thought something happened that caused the 11:00 news and Colbert to start late. Now I have to check to see if my boxes have the correct time.

Thanks.

8. tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Glad i said something so you guys don't go through what i did last night having the last 5 minutes of my shows missing!

sharkster likes this.
  9. tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Yeah i thought the same thing too at first when Carmichael started 5 minutes late then i looked at my phone and noticed it was 5 minutes behind Tivo.

10. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    The weird thing is that it seems to have been one service connection that did this, so it depends on when your machines connect/connected. For mine, I just happened to be looking at the Tivo clock at the exact second that it changed (Twilight Zone!) this morning. I do have a clock in the cabinet below that tv so I would have noticed at some point. But I had a couple of things recording late morning and noon today that would have been messed up had I not noticed it right away and fixed it.

AFAIK, my stuff from last night should be ok, since the clock was still fine when I turned on the tv this morning.

11. tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I'd like to know what the hell Rovi did to royally screw this up.

Mikeguy likes this.
  12. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Wouldn't we all! :) Between guide data and now the clock, it's one mess up after another.

13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'll speculate: TiVo doesn't originate the time. I gets time from something, like NIST or other free provider. Then they include it when an update is done. After this they may start doing a clock update with VCM connections since they happen 24/7 about every four hours. A service connection is never scheduled from 6pm to 2am, but can happen due to a restart. TiVo's provider is having a problem, and we all know that nobody at TiVo uses a TiVo. I'm not sure if they even watch TV. Perhaps during the switch to Rovi, the person that checks the time just got transferred.

powrcow likes this.
  14. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    From another planet? :D

15. tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    The weird thing is it seems to happen when it gets the guide data. If you force the connection immediately after it fixes the issue immediately.

16. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Wow...we noticed the recordings being wrong here too. I hadn't seen talk of it here yet...but just now came upon this thread. I checked my Roamio...the time was off by six minutes! The forced network correction fixed the problem.

17. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Will the last TiVo employee monitoring quality of service please turn off the lights (and servers?) when they leave?

ClearToLand likes this.
  18. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I don't think TiVo's provider is having a problem. Most people are syncing with places that get their time from atomic clock and are depended upon by many downstream users. If there was a problem there, lots of people outside of TiVo would be complaining. Most likely TiVo servers got the correct time, but due to some problem with TiVo servers, the time is getting out of whack. NTP in some default configs won't adjust the time if it is off by a lot so usually people set the time from known source to make the big adjustments at boot, then let NTP do the small adjustments going forward.

tim1724 and ClearToLand like this.
  19. TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    Roamio basic having the same problem. Time is correct at this time but we noticed recordings from yesterday were off by several minutes. Anyone know if this issue has reoccurred since then?

20. JohnS-MI

JohnS-MI Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    SE MI
    My Roamio was off by 4 minutes yesterday, screwed up a recording, which is when I noticed. I forced a call home, error increased to 6 minutes this morning, forced another after lunch which corrected it . Checked after scheduled (late afternoon) call home, still OK. Rovi time server is a clown with an hourglass full of sand.