Check those deactivate requests!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by cyberbeach, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Dec 1, 2014 #1 of 15
    cyberbeach

cyberbeach Mere member

Nov 29, 2002
    Lost Angles

Advertisements

I deactivated two Tivos when I moved out of an office (I have 3 more at home on another account).

8 months later I discovered they were still billing! I called to deactivate again.

20 days later, only one was deactivated. I had to request again to deactivate.

Moral: double-check your deactivations to see if they were done.

2. Dec 1, 2014 #2 of 15
    BP-isMe

BP-isMe Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Boston
    A Few years ago TiVo did not disconnect 2 of my TiVos after an upgrade. I noticed it after several months. The CSR was helpful but his boss said I was at fault for not checking my billing close enough. Fortunately, the CSR found a way to credit me. The whole experience left me just about ready to cancel all service. The fact that the CSR was on my side saved TiVo a customer.

Brad

3. Dec 1, 2014 #3 of 15
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    This problem is not the first to be reported for TiVo and most likely not the last, AOL had the same problems, some people have gone a year or more without looking at their Credit Card and seeing that TiVo is charging them for what you thought was deactivated, your advice is good for any automatic charges when you think they should stop, look at your charges yourself.

4. Dec 5, 2014 #4 of 15
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Yes, unfortunately, TiVo is like all the other companies in this regard: glad to keep taking your money until you notify them to stop.

Regardless of what ever the terms of conditions may state, this really could be a successful class action.

5. Dec 5, 2014 #5 of 15
    jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014

Advertisements

The tipoff is that one cannot deactivate online. That means they Have to be watched very carefully when deactivating.

It is hard to believe they think it is worthwhile to pay someone to click cancel for me. At some point, hopefully, they will wake up.

6. Dec 5, 2014 #6 of 15
    ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Great! Another stupid class action that enriches the lawyers, doesn't nothing for the claimants, and whose harm to the offending corporation is too miniscule to change any behavior except the wording of the terms of service. What a good idea!

7. Dec 5, 2014 #7 of 15
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Advice: Check your credit card statements more than once every 8 months. I recommend checking every month. Simple problems like this are much more easily resolved if you pay attention to the things you should pay attention to.

8. Dec 5, 2014 #8 of 15
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Don't people check for a couple of months to make sure a device is not still being charged for? it seems odd that someone would just assume service is cancelled when it isn't automated.

9. Dec 5, 2014 #9 of 15
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Some people are just lazy and don't check their CC, but compline a year later when they find out their still being charged.

10. mike3775

mike3775 Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Or like AOL did with me, I cancelled, then the next month noticed, then called again, and they said it was cancelled, and then the next month, same thing happened again, hence another call. This went on for 4 months until my ships legal officer told me to cancel the credit card. That ended it and I was pissed I had lost the 4 months worth of $$$ for something I didn't use, but was happy it was over. 6 months later, I got a collection notice from AOL for 6 months of service, and lets just say, a threat from a lawyer got AOL to drop it for good.

So even checking every month to make sure, does not mean they really will stop billing either.

11. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    AOL was the king of billing deception, their CEO should have gone to jail, as they knew what they were doing.

12. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    yeah check your cc statements because Tivo pulls alot of this stuff.

I sold a Tivo after transferring it through Tivo and got a charge on my cc later for a warranty on that Tivo from the customer I sold it to.

Then when I returned my Minis to take advantage of the sub $100 prices the other month they didn't properly credit all my money back. That took a few calls.

Not sure it was all nefarious but they definitely don't seem to have proper systems in place to elegantly handle certain business procedures.

13. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    ...because that's what you're supposed to do as a financially responsible adult anyway.

14. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Personally I check my wallet continually, and I can't stand the whiners who want to blame the pickpocket for their own carelessness.

15. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Well, yes. Any fool who lives in the big city takes precautions. Except that checking your wallet tells the dip where to put his hand, don't do that!