Check room left on drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by fredski, Jan 15, 2006.

1. fredski

fredski New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    :rolleyes: Is there any way to determine how much room there is left on my TIVO hard drive?

2. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    That's something TiVo owners have long wanted the machines to have added.

I actually sit down and go thru my "Now Playing" and note the length and quality setting for each show.

I add the times, then subtract from the drive's overall capacity (allowing for any shows not recorded on "best" and adjusting the total accordingly).

The real challenge is keeping the list up to date as I delete old shows and record new ones...which I'm always behind in doing.

I think some have a slightly saner way to do this, but that's what works for me.

3. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    The sanest way is just to let TiVo manage the space for you. Unless you are using KUID all the time (either because you really WANT to keep the shows or because you don't really understand what it means), it works just fine. If you find that stuff gets deleted before you can watch it, upgrade the space.

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Awhile back I download a file (nowPlaying.xhtml I think) that allowed you to access your TiVo over your LAN through your computers web browser, part of its function was to tell you an estimate of the amount of recording space you had left. You did have to do some minor editing to customize the file for your LAN (TiVo IP and size of the hard drive) but it wasn't hard at all.

I can not remember where the thread was but maybe someone else does and could post a link for you.

Thanks

atmuscarella