Check out this new Xfinity DVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Mike Pfeifer, May 20, 2011.

1. Mike Pfeifer

Mike Pfeifer What?

Mar 16, 2011
    Chicago
    Engadget has a small write-up on what appears to be a new Xfinity DVR:

Xfinity DVR on engadget

Wonder how this will work out.... I have to say I am interested.

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Funny that the remote looks Tivo-like, but the top button (where the Tivo button would be) is the power button. (Yeah, you could argue that the very top isn't that convenient of a location for a button at least I use all the time..)

I read the article, didn't read all of the comments.. Can you turn off channels you don't receive? That's the major complaint that the other co-host of the Engadget HD podcast has all of the time (and I agree with). The few times I've had a cable box or their DVR (only times where it was a free trial), you couldn't turn off channels you don't get/care about..

3. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    That's not a 4-tuner DVR, that's a 3-tuner DVR.

4. Mike Pfeifer

Mike Pfeifer What?

Mar 16, 2011
    Chicago
    Somewhere in the comments I read from the op that you can filter the channels, but he didn't really go into much detail on that...

5. Mike Pfeifer

Mike Pfeifer What?

Mar 16, 2011
    Chicago
    I agree...

6. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    Unless they mean record three channels while watching a 4th channel LIVE, then it is a four tuner, three recorder (but I don't know how/why they would do that.

7. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Maybe the box doesn't have the I/O bandwidth to record 4 and show a 5th. Also, maybe live TV isn't buffered to the disk.

8. Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    It's actually appealing enough for me to consider switching back to the Comcast box. If it works, and works well, I like my options with it more than Tivo. I'll be able to access my On Demand, and I can only assume it will work with the room sharing option Comcast has been rolling out (much like AT&T's). When this thing comes out it will definitely rival, if not surpass, Tivo.

9. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    So, this is why the TiVo full implementation on Comcast was set for death. Now, we just get VOD support. Meanwhile, Comcast comes out with this box that makes the TiVo look dated. Just think. If TiVo had sued Comcast when it did Dish--instead of believing Comcast's sincerity--TiVo would be getting twice as much cash pumped into it today. Now, it is at least 7-8 years away :).

Tom took the wrong route with Comcast and the wrong route with DirecTV: he should have just sued them all. Did dear ol' Tom really believe that DirecTV and Comcast would seriously allow TiVo to move in with the intent of TiVo being implemented expeditiously and with superior features? Tom really was played for a fool because the Echostar payout won't last Mr. Rogers very long. And what did Tom Rogers do with the millions Comcast and DirecTV gave him for their stall tactics? Since TiVo went desperate and took the settlement that Dish seemed to want all along (no license fees and clear and unlimited use of the TiVo patents for one price--pretty much the same as the TV Guide/Gemstar settlement, and that was a case Dish WON!) seems to indicate that things are worse at TiVo than we had imagined (Tom said he didn't want to "wait" for the Dish case work its way to the Supreme Court, even if the court decided not to hear the case, a result that would have made TiVo bullet proof and could have brought the other plaintiffs to the bargaining table. Didn't want to "wait"? What matter was so pressing as to have the cash NOW? Imminent closure? Trouble meeting coming financial obligations? An LA Dodgers situation of the DVR world? Who was really calling it "quits" first?).

Anyway, sad to see just about every other DVR maker adding the features we TiVo subs want most that TiVo doesn't or may not even have plans to add. Really, TiVo, the ability to record just ONE MORE CHANNEL would have been a leap forward for the S4 and would have made the may Premiere complaints seem tolerable for at least one really great new feature.

10. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Tivo Premiere Quad Tuner and Tivo Extenders........

Whole house solution with Tivo goodness?

Tivo could still compete in this market. Or they can close up shop. But time is fast running out.

11. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    Hopefully it holds more than 25 hours of HD, as compared to the old moto boxes :)

I see 500gb or 1TB, unknown. A box with less than 100 hours of HD recording time is useless to me.

12. qz3fwd

qz3fwd Member

Jul 6, 2007
    That DVR isnt new. Comcast has been pimping it to the FCC for months now.
    Why the hell cant they actually roll out something like that DVR into widescale use?
    Maybe, just maybe they are playing with the FCC saying "see-there is innovation in the DVR marketplace...look at this newfangled DVR of ours", all the while we on comcast are stuck with puny hard drives and a freaking 4x3 Guide! Give me a break.

13. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    The problem will be that this unit will sit in small market trials for a year before most of us ever have a chance to get one. Also going by the current DVR offerings the look may be better but it all boils down to the programming and how the unit actually works. The UI can look great but if it can't record season passes correctly no one will care. Comcast's current boxes are simply awful.

I do agree that Tivo better start pushing out some serious updates and competition or they will be out of business / bought inside of 3 years.

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'm not really defending that, but if for some *bizarre* reason the hardware had 4 tuners, but they could only actually record 3 at once.. I would at least appreciate the *ability* to watch a 4th thing live (with no trick play)... It doesn't come up much for me anymore, I think I'm slightly being more selective (and/or ignoring the one *likely* to be on DVD in the future)... But there have been very very rare times where I was recording all my tuners and still wanted to watch something else.

15. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Brilliant strategy on the part of Comcast. Bleed TiVo with development costs on a box you never intended to deploy while putting off a potential TiVo lawsuit against you by promising you'd consider deployment.