Check in here if you canceled pre-order after seeing sluggish interface videos.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by hoyty, Mar 24, 2010.

1. hoyty

hoyty Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Sammamish, WA

Advertisements

Just wondering how many people canceled their pre-orders after seeing the videos of the sluggish interface. I am hanging on to my Series 3 for now thanks. I went through the delay waiting for second tuner to be enabled in first DirecTV TiVo. I don't want to have to wait for the second core to be enabled in the Series 4.

2. SafariKC

SafariKC Weeeeeeeeeeee

Mar 6, 2000
    Stow, MA, USA
    I'm also sticking with my Series3's for now. Once they get the thing performing on par and not bouncing around different UIs all over the place I'll look again.

3. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    [​IMG]

This alone makes it worth it to me.

4. SafariKC

SafariKC Weeeeeeeeeeee

Mar 6, 2000
    Stow, MA, USA
    With my sling, none of this transfer stuff matters to me. The things I want to archive off can take a while sure, but in my home it's actually faster than real time anyway.

5. flaminiom

flaminiom New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Holt, MI

Advertisements

Thinking about it.

I want to pick up a Dune player also. My original plan was to keep the Tivo HD as a third/fourth tuner. Seeing the TV season is almost over, I'm thinking about canceling to get the Dune. Then revisit Tivo Premiere in the fall. Only thing keeping me hanging on is I got a pretty good deal on an XL with the upgrade and fatwallet. On the other hand, boxes might be cheaper in six months, or at least refurbs available.

6. flaminiom

flaminiom New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Holt, MI
    What does that show? Is that between a PC and the Tivo, or between two Premiere Tivos?

7. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Looks like they should change Series 3 transfer to Tivo HD transfer or something.

8. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    They probably will once they update that section.

This is what the speeds look like on the Tivo HD

[​IMG]

Those are both, iirc. I forget which one is which though. These are from bkdtv in the gizmodo review thread. I assume he will be updating the FAQ with more info based off these.

9. paulnelson20

paulnelson20 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    IIRC,

1. PC to TiVo
    2. TiVo to PC
    3. TiVo to TiVo (incoming)
    4. TiVo to TiVo (outgoing)
    5. Download, ie AmazonVOD
    6. Self explanatory

Take this info with a grain of salt, not sure it I'm right.

10. bobdolee

bobdolee New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    I'm holding steady. I have faith that Tivo will iron out the bugs. Considering their dwindling customer base, they can't afford not to.

11. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Considering their dwindling customer base they can't afford to ship a 1/2 done product, but they are.

12. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    According to bkdtv's review, an hour recording took 4 minutes on SD, or at most 20 minutes for ESPNHD with the average time of 13 minutes for local HD channels.

The same transfers on the TiVo HD, were 15 minutes for SD, 83 minutes for ESPNHD and 56 minutes for local HD channels.

13. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    The transfer speeds are great; it's a shame I don't transfer much. ;)

Canceled because those laggy menus would drive me nuts. I'm sure it's everybody's hope that things speed up with a prompt software update, but I'm not going to buy on that hope. Tivo's record of fixing issues promptly the past few years is kind of against them.

14. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    They would probably bother me more if I had a HD set, but since I keep going to buy inbetween cycles I just haven't done it yet. I don't know if I am even sold on the new UI. I realize it is just TiVo Search Beta but I never used it since I was on SD sets.

I need to ask my friend who made the jump to see what he thought of it since he was used to the SD for so long.

15. Saberj

Saberj New Member

Sep 29, 2006
    I was waiting for reviews before pre-ordering. I was already on the fence due to the number of tuners. Now I can happily hold off and see if they fix things before I need to make the decision.

16. supersportsfan

supersportsfan New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    I am really thinking about it...really am...

Honestly, I would not be surprised if TiVo starts putting these pre-orders into a pre-ship queue, so people can't cancel their orders, cause I am sure they lost at least 25% of their pre-orders today...

I don't know why I am going to pay $240 to upgrade to what essentially looks like a public beta test for the box.

17. TrueTurbo

TrueTurbo New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
    Because you have the common sense to realize that the Premiere platform will just keep growing and expanding through software updates over the next several months and you don't want to miss out on all the new functionality as it happens? :D

18. xboard07

xboard07 New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    I was going to bu yone but I am holding off for now. They should have had the HD UI much more complete before launching this product.

19. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Am I the only one wondering how someone got 60+ Megabit/second YOUTUBE Transfers???? What kind of I-net bandwidth do you have???

20. dbtom

dbtom Member

Feb 14, 2002
    New York City
    I canceled my XL order :( Sad.