Cheapest way to get a Premiere w/lifetime

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by mr_smits, Mar 27, 2011.

1. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009

Advertisements

Right now, I have a Premiere (upgraded the drive) with lifetime, an annual TivoHD renewing in May, and a Series 2 single tuner also annual renewing in May. I want to retire the Series 2 and get another Premiere standard.

So my options appear to upgrade through Tivo for $199 for the box and then $299 for lifetime. If I buy a Premiere off ebay or craigslist then activate it, will I be able to get the 299 lifetime price on this new box? I would then not renew the Series 2 in May.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If the S2 is not the oldest in your tivo.com account, you can switch it out for the new box by changing the service number, and get lifetime for $299, when this contract is up.

Be sure to transfer your recordings over to another tivo or computer if you have any to save, before changing service number, because after changing, you cannot transfer. You can still watch them though.

3. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009

The S2 is the oldest in my tivo.com account. Does this mean I can't change the service number?

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The oldest Tivo in your account gets the 12.95/month or 129/year or $399/lifetime.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

Your S2 single tuner is your "qualifying" unit allowing you to get MSD pricing on other Tivos.
    As long as you get your next Premiere and activate it BEFORE you cancel the S2, you can get lifetime for MSD price of $299.
    Once you cancel your S2, you lose your "qualifying" unit for MSD and the TivoHD will lose its MSD status. Meaning it will have to be renewed at the full subscription rate and will then become the "qualifying" unit for future MSD purchases.
    Lifetime Tivos are unaffected. Whether you get lifetime for $299 or $399, that Tivo will retain its lifetime status.

One note about buying a Premiere off of e-bay or craigslist.
    You must verify that it is eligible for MSD pricing before you buy.
    Don't go by what the ad says.
    You need to get the Tivo Service Number from the prospective seller and call Tivo to verify. If the seller is unwilling to give you the TSN, I would steer clear.

If you just do a change service number, the Premiere will become your "qualifying" unit which will require you to pay standard rates ($12.95/mo or $399 lifetime).

6. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Thanks for the response. This is very helpful.

I want to eliminate one Tivo altogether and then share another with my basement tv, so what I will probably do is upgrade to another Premiere and then discontinue the S2 and HD. Transferring shows between non-Premiere Tivos is painfully slow, and with an upgraded Premiere hard drive I should have the best of both worlds.

Thanks again.

7. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    I have my Premiere on craigslist. IF it doesn't sell will put it on ebay.

It's used about 6 months. Works perfect (as perfect as the Premiere works that is.)

I think I'm going back to a FIOS DVR. :D

If you're interested pm me.

8. MrSkippy53

MrSkippy53 New Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Are you sure about this?

My Premiere was activated on 1/19/11 and is on the 1 year $12.95. The "future plan" option has a Life time of $399

My S3 OLED was activated on 1/25/11 and I paid for 1 year $99.00. The "Future Plan" option for life time is $299

This is opposite of what you said...

9. Apr 1, 2011 #9 of 21
    hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Huh?

10. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    I have an older single tuner S2... and my upgrade option is buy a unit for $269, and get lifetime for $199. and I still keep the S2 unit with lifetime.. and I can gift that to someone or whatever... that's right through their website...

11. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    The website calls that an upgrade offer; are you sure we get to keep the old S2 with lifetime on it; that the lifetime doesn't transfer over?

Also, I'm having trouble seeing what it costs to just buy a new TiVo Premier and then put lifetime onto it. I think Amazon sells the box for $86, but how much to put lifetime on it, if you already own other lifetimed TiVos?

I'm interested in this because my wife has 2 single tuner S2s and I have a TiVo HD, and Time Warner keeps converting more and more channels to digital, and I'm thinking it might be time for my wife to upgrade so she can keep all her channels.

12. jbell73

jbell73 Member

Oct 31, 2006
    I'm not sure this is accurate. I used to have an S2, and then purchased a second and got MSD for 6.95. Since then I have retired the S2 and moved up to the S3 and then to the HD and now finally to the Premiere. I have always maintained my $6.95 MSD price on the non-lifetime unit I have activated.

I had "transferred" the lifetime from the S2 to the S3 and then "upgraded" the S3 -> Premiere which was my qualifying unit, but the MSD unit I have always transferred to the new system (S2 to the HD and now to Premiere) using the "Change Service Number" feature.

So there is a way of shutting down the "qualifying" S2, and maintaining the MSD, as long as you transfer/upgrade service to a new unit.

-J

13. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    YES you get to keep the lifetime on whatever TiVo you do the offer on; Series 1, 2, or 3. You can't now purchase a new TP and get Lifetime unless you can take advantage of the TiVo web upgrade offer, stand alone Lifetime Service is no longer offered on the TP even if you purchase the TiVo directly from TiVo at $299 (you than can get a monthly MSD of $9.95). I not saying that you can't call TiVo and negotiate some type of Lifetime Service on one of TiVos $299 TP units but it's not offered on the web sight.

14. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    Darn... so the only way for me to get a TiVo HD or a Tivo Premiere with lifetime period, is to do the upgrade (which I don't think is offered for TiVo HD):

TiVo Premiere for $269 + $199 for lifetime = $468 total.

vs. going to Amazon and geting TiVo Premium for $86 and using MSD to pay $9.95 per month. At that rate, this means if I use it for at least 3 years, 2.39 months, it's worth it to do the lifetime upgrade on tivo.com

I'm tempted to go ahead and do this. Out of curiosity, is this deal better, worse, or about the same as deals that have been available lately?

15. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    Another question, if I ever dump cable and use satelite as my TV content provider, would the TiVo HD or TiVo Premier still work or not?

16. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    If you get the TP from Amazon, the sub is $19.99/month, no MSD allowed.

HD and Premier will not work with satellite.

17. lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    I got my Premier from Amazon but I paid $399.00 which was the retail price and I didn't have to pay $19.99/month. Maybe it's because I bought it for the retail price with no discounts?

18. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    In that case, the breakeven point is 19.1 months, even more argument in favor of the lifetime.

I was afraid of that. I may never go to satellite anyway, but I need to factor this in to my thinking process though. So is there just not any TiVo option for satellite? They all just use whatever DVR the satellite provider gives them?

At any rate, if I keep cable for at least 19.1 months, which I beleive I will, I'm better off with this upgrade offer than the Amazon route. However, the breakeven point of the upgrade offer vs renting the Time Warner DVR is probably considerable longer than 19.1 months, though I have a feeling my wife wouldn't like the Time Warner DVR after being spoiled by TiVo.

I can't remember the price of their DVR vs the rental of the cable card that would go in the TiVo Premier offhand, or I could calculate this other breakeven point. I think the latter is just $1 or $2 a month though. (I assume the TiVo Premier takes the cable card just like the TiVo HD does.)

I guess the other thing to consider is if we ever dump cable and go OTA + netflix + hulu + Amazon rentals, I'm pretty sure these TiVos would still work out for us.

19. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    That's what I did nearly two years ago, using both a Series 3 and Premiere to record. I've also got quite a few videos on my computer that I transfer or stream to either box using pyTivo and Streambaby.

20. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Correct. The $99 discounted units have the $19.99 plan. Non-discounted units allow for the lower payment plans.