Cheapest place to get a Directivo?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Bob_Newhart, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston

Advertisements

Lightning killed my desktop PC and my old directivo. It is in a spare bedroom that is only used occasionally so I would like to replace it with something cheap and it doesn't have to have a big hard drive.

What would be the cheapest route to go here? eBay, Directv?

Thanks

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    eBay. DirecTV won't offer you one. But beware, there are some shady sellers out there. Check feedback carefully. A common problem is a box with outstanding charges on the account, and DTV won't let you activate it.

3. LuvMyTeevo

LuvMyTeevo New Member

Feb 27, 2007
    I found one on Craigslist. That's a good way to go as you can meet the seller personally. I paid $35 for a 35hr Hughes HDVR2. I called DTV and the had it going as soon as I asked for a supervisor. The used receiver does have to have the access card that was used with it previously. Otherwise you'll have to pay $25 for a new card. I'm happy. It's a 2nd one for me.

4. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    it's recommended you get the serial number before cash changes hands...call DTV and ask if there is a balance on it

5. adev25

adev25 New Member

Apr 10, 2007

Advertisements

If they allow you to hook it up with the old card, they could have PPV Movies on the card. This is something that happened to me, got charged for a move that was over a year old, I said to the women I just activated this last week and we never order PPV. After a while she agreed.

6. MurrayW

MurrayW Murray

Aug 28, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Ill echo the craigslist suggestion. I have purchased way too many DirecTiVo's off of Craigslist -- I just have had a hard time passing up non-HD models for $25 - $35 or HR10-250's for ~$100.

Here's one that was listed in Houston recently:

7. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I know what you mean I have too many as it is and I am always debating on picking up more.

8. OhioUmpire

OhioUmpire New Member

Dec 2, 2003
    I have two Tivo until I rarely use right now. I converted to the DTV HD DVR. I have on HDTivo and one of the Series2 Tivo's. Would probably sell them for the right offer, but sometimes tells me I could use them someday when DTV enhances Tivo functionality w/ HD.

9. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Standard-def DTiVos can be used for a long time to come. Minor enhancements in features will come next year, but not HD!

10. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    EBay, Craigslist, Privately. Those are your options.

Just get all the details you can off the unit: Serial, RID Number (if applicable) Card Number etc. Then call Directv and make sure all is well before you go ahead and purchase.