Cheap MOCA Bridge?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by shwru980r, Aug 10, 2019.

1. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
  2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    The deca frequency would interfere with cable/OTA video signals. They can work as long as they're on their own coax line completely separate from the video signal.

shwru980r likes this.
  3. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    I currently have a Roamio Plus set up as a MOCA bridge so I would not be using this device to distribute the MOCA signal. I was thinking that I might be able to use this device on a dual tuner premiere or a series 3 to use the internet connection from the coax for the guide data. These Tivos would be set up for OTA which is on a separate coax run from the cable coax carrying the MOCA cable/internet signal. Or possibly adding cable cards to these Tivos and setting them up for both cable and OTA and using a splitter on the MOCA cable/internet coax.

4. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    This ActionTec WCB300N01 is often cited as a low-cost MoCA bridge.

You can get one for about $15 on ebay.

shwru980r likes this.
  5. pconway12

pconway12 New Member

Sep 17, 2014
    New Hampshire

Advertisements

If anyone is interested I have an official TiVo moca bridge I can sell. Works perfectly, I no longer need it with my configuration..

TiVo Bridge | Best Multi-Room TV Solution | Custom TiVo

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, those can be an inexpensive alternative for networking over coax, as described by TCFer @mdavej over on AVSforum, >here<, but you appear to have missed the 'gist of @BigJimOutlaw's post:
    Consider the frequencies in use:

OTA: 54-806 MHz
    CATV/BB: 5-1002 MHz
    MoCA (Extended Band D): 1125-1675 MHz
    MoCA (Band E): 475-625 MHz

1) DECA devices, which operate in MoCA Band E, cannot be used on coax lines also carrying either OTA or cable (TV or Internet) signals, for the same reason OTA and cable TV/Internet cannot share a coax plant: the operating frequencies overlap. Use of DECA devices in a non-DirecTV setup typically requires an isolated coax plant not in use for any other purpose. Given TiVo boxes only require the TV signal at the DVR, having dual coax lines just to the DVRs can allow isolation of the DECA device signals from the OTA/cable signals.

2) DECA devices use a fixed, alternate frequency range (MoCA Band E) than the built-in MoCA hardware found in TiVo boxes (which use MoCA Band D), and so are not compatible with TiVo's MoCA-capable boxes, nor with nearly all retail MoCA adapters. Were this alternative solution attempted, DECA devices would be required at any TiVo box requiring a networking connection via coax, even if it's a TiVo box with built-in MoCA networking.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    shwru980r likes this.
  8. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Yes, for years I ran a DECA network with the cheap hardware at the top of the thread. Worked fine with Tivo, OTA, etc. But, as BigJim and Kaufman pointed out, a DECA network must be physically isolated from your OTA network. A Moca bridge would be a much better solution in this case and cheaper as well considering you'd need 2 DECA devices and a dedicated OTA coax run but only 1 Moca device.

shwru980r likes this.
  9. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Thanks. Just bought one.

snerd likes this.
  10. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. I think I understand now. I purchased an ActionTec WCB300N01

krkaufman likes this.
  11. kapeman1

kapeman1 New Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Can someone recommend a cheap, gig capable, MOCA/DECA bridge? I just bought the 3rd Gen kit and it only supports 100 and not 1000.

12. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    It's got GB ports...

-KP

13. kapeman1

kapeman1 New Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Thanks!
    Do you know if it supports DTV?

14. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I do not believe that MoCA and DTV can coexist. DECA hardware (which interferes with cable) will work with DirectTV. I don't know if there are any gigabit DECA adapters.

15. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Moca and Deca are different frequencies. DTV won't be able to see Moca, and Tivo won't be able to see Deca (it will also destroy your CATV signals). And if you put cable TV signals on DTV cables, all hell will break loose. The DC voltage alone that's used by DTV will fry your cable TV devices. It's a really, really, really bad idea to try to mix CATV and satellite on the same wires. You can only safely mix in OTA using diplexers which block the DC and separate the two bands.

That being said, if the coax going to your satellite boxes is physically isolated from your CATV system, may as well use Deca on the DTV system and Moca on the CATV system.

However, I am curious why you have both. Isn't that very expensive, and isn't 99% of the content duplicated?
    Yes, but it's still Moca 1.1 which maxes out at 175 Mbps. So the coax part is going to be a bottleneck. Tivo is probably only going to use 15 Mbps regardless. So not sure why the need for gigabit on a Moca network.

It would be helpful if you could post a sketch of your system and what you're trying to do.

16. kapeman1

kapeman1 New Member

Dec 6, 2019
    OP had the question about OTA and DECA.

I'm only going DTV and DECA for Ethernet.

I could see 4K and upwards being a problem for DECA without gig e support.

17. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I'd ask in the DirecTV forums. There may very well be much higher speed DECA available these days. Last time I used DECA was probably 5 years ago, and the last time I used DirecTV was maybe 10 years ago. We're not exactly DirecTV and DECA experts over here in the Tivo forums. But I can tell you DECA and OTA don't mix. And Moca and DTV don't mix. So you're in a bit of a pickle.

18. kapeman1

kapeman1 New Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Thanks a lot.

I posted over there and didn't get any responses.

I appreciate your help.

19. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    If by 4k, you just mean Netflix or Amazon or ITunes 4K, you are probably fine with 100 megabit/s Ethernet. The 4k on these services is about 20-25 megabits/s. If you are are trying to locally stream some kind of higher bitrate content locally, then you might need something faster.

20. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Depending on your streaming hardware and the quality your wireless network you may be fine using the built-in wireless on your streaming hardware.