Cheap Bridge for Roamio OTA to Mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jimboe, Oct 15, 2018.

1. jimboe

jimboe New Member

Oct 10, 2018
    Needed MOCA connection to Mini from Roamio OTA. Have eithernet and coax to Roamio in living room but only coax in bedroom Mini.
    Found Actiontec WCB3000n on Amazon for only $11.79. It works! Connected 3000n to router via ethernet, and Mini to its coax port. Have to look on your router GUI to find the ip address it gives the WBC3000n so you can access it's GUI. You can do a Google search to find out how to turn off WiFi on the WCB3000n if you need to.

krkaufman likes this.
  2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Just be sure to get a “PoE” MoCA filter installed. (more info here)

3. jimboe

jimboe New Member

Oct 10, 2018
    I have only one MOCA connection -Homr run Mini to MOCA adapter which connects to network via Ethernet cable.
    Antenna is on home run to Roamio OTA that doesn't support MOCA connects to router via ethernet. So unless the MOCA can backfeed thru the ethernet cable I should be good.
    Am I correct? Router connects to cable modem that has a POE filter to ISP.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If the Mini is effectively direct-connected via coax to the MoCA adapter then, correct, a “PoE” MoCA filter would definitely NOT be used. Same for the direct connection between the antenna and DVR, especially since no MoCA signals exist on that line at all.

(And it sounds like the “PoE” MoCA filter on the cable modem line isn’t necessary, either, though there can be benefits of keeping it in place.)

5. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Does this mean that coax goes directly from the MoCA adapter to the Mini with no splitters in the path? If there are no splitters, there is no need for a PoE filter, but if there are splitters involved, then depending on the exact configuration of the coax, you might benefit by adding a PoE filter.

krkaufman likes this.