Charter tuning adapter notice!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by hank12345, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Jan 4, 2009 #1 of 42
    hank12345

hank12345 Member

Sep 27, 2005

Advertisements

Hi all-

Charter customer, in Worcester, Massachusetts area...

Just received a notice by mail that Charter will be providing a free tuning adapter, as they will be switching to SDV on February 2nd.... They claim that I can schedule my free install on or after Jan. 5th....

Ugh.

I'm NOT looking forward to this at all...

Anyone else get this message?

2. Jan 4, 2009 #2 of 42
    spolebitski

spolebitski Member

Mar 30, 2006
    At least they are switching to SDV only after the tuning adapter is available, unlike TWC.

3. Jan 4, 2009 #3 of 42
    hank12345

hank12345 Member

Sep 27, 2005
    True! however, with Charter's track record, I'll believe it when I see it....

4. Jan 4, 2009 #4 of 42
    Niceorange

Niceorange New Member

Mar 10, 2004
    I just got my letter and called them and they setup an install for next week. Hopefully it works seamlessly.

5. Jan 4, 2009 #5 of 42
    hank12345

hank12345 Member

Sep 27, 2005

Advertisements

Hey Niceorange-

Where are you located, If I may ask?

6. Jan 4, 2009 #6 of 42
    Enforcer

Enforcer Member

Apr 21, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Gee. Must be nice. Going on 2 years of SDV here and still no TA. Makes me hate TWC.

7. Jan 5, 2009 #7 of 42
    szwjunk

szwjunk New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    I'm in Southborough, MA, and I too got notified by Charter on Saturday about the need to get an SDV/Tuning Adapter. I called this morning to schedule an install.

While the helpful person I spoke to (Nicole - in Michigan) was not initially aware that there was any alternative to switching out the CableCARDs for a regular HD Set Top Box, I explained the "special" TiVo situation and she was able to eventually figure out what I meant, and also identify the correct code in Charter's system for ordering/scheduling an install of the Tuning Adapter. The truck rolls at lunchtime this Saturday, so my fingers are crossed for a trouble-free exercise.

I'll report back here on my experience, if anyone cares?

8. Jan 5, 2009 #8 of 42
    BrianAZ

BrianAZ Back on the wagon

Aug 13, 2007
    Chandler, Az
    Yes. Please let us know.

9. Jan 5, 2009 #9 of 42
    hank12345

hank12345 Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Well, I just called, and spoke to a very nice CSR, who set me up with an appointment for this Saturday...

She was helpful and seemed to know what she was talking about, so I'm feeling a bit better about the whole thing... It seems that Charter has it's act together for a change!

I feel bad for the folks with TWC who have already been switched over to SDV, and no communication or timeline from the company.

I'll post my experience after the install.

Hank

10. hank12345

hank12345 Member

Sep 27, 2005
    OK-- so not so bad... the guy came, said I was his fourth today, 1 worked 2 did not... He asked if I wanted to reschedule, as the tuning Adapter "is a disaster"

I asked him to give it a try, he agreed, and after about an hour it was up and running.

First we attached the cable to the adapter, then from adapter to the Tivo, then the usb cable. plugged it the power, and the thing starts a green light blinking 8 times, pauses then 8 times again.

the guy claims this is good-- any other color or combo means it would not work...

He calls it into Charter, reads the numbers off the back of the box, and they "Hit" it.

I navigated to the "tuning adapter" page under settings on the Tivo, to see if anything would happen...

He hangs up and we wait.... after a couple of min. the thing shuts itself off... He turned it back on, and we had a solid green light... and a crapload of info pops up on the "tuning adapter" page on the screen...

As far as I can tell everything is working as expected-- We'll see what happens when they actually switch to SDV...

The guy told me that the first he even head about the tuning adapter was Wednesday, and that they received NO training on how to install them.

He said a bunch of guys were installing the adapters, and then taking the cable cards with them--- thinking it was a cable card replacement!

11. szwjunk

szwjunk New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    So, I was scheduled to get the Tuning Adapter installed today and promised a report on my experience.

Well, owing to my hard drive being completely hosed since my last correspondence (was it a Netflix streaming problem? maybe...who knows?) I have had to re-schedule the install - which should now happen on Tuesday. This is assuming that I get the replacement hard drive from Seagate and that my Instantcake efforts get the bloody TiVo S3 to the point where there's even any point in the truck rolling.

This Netflix problem seems to be pretty serious - check the threads on that if you haven't already.

Steve in Southborough.

12. mastamind51

mastamind51 New Member

Jan 5, 2009
    don't hate on the noob, but what implications does this have for me? I just bought a tivo and was about to buy the lifetime subscription. I live in souther california and have charter also. A tech is coming this wednesday. what do i or the tech need to be aware in regards to this issue. sorry for all the questions, please help a noob out! :)

13. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Well, it's pretty simple. If they move to SDV on any channels you care to watch, you will need a TA. If they don't move to SDV, or if the channels they moveto SDV are not ones about which you are really concerned, then you don't need a TA.

14. mastamind51

mastamind51 New Member

Jan 5, 2009
    what extra work/equipment/costs are involved with a tuning adapter and wtf is the point of it? i tried researching the forums and couldn't really find info on it? i was going to pull the trigger on a lifetime subscription but now finding out about cablecards with monthly fees and sdv im hesistant. by the way do i even need cable cards for the tivo if im satisfied with my hdtv that has an hd attenna built in and gives you basic local channels in hd? i can record those basic channels in hd right? Sorry again for the list, i apologize for being noob in advance:)

15. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    There's plenty of info on this forum, including the SDV FAQ on CableCards and SDV. To answer your question, no, CqableCards are not required for OTA reception. They are only required for encrypted digital videos suchas are found on CATV systems. The Tuning Adapter is only (and additionally) required if the CATV system employs SDV on channels the TiVo owner wishes to receive.

Installation of a TA is trivial. Most CATV systems are offering the TA free of charge at this time, and for the time being.

16. mastamind51

mastamind51 New Member

Jan 5, 2009
    thank you for the info sir...i did some research, and please correct me if i'm wrong but if i don't use the cable cards then it would be pretty difficult to use tivo since their is no onscreen guide to coordinate recording? (i.e. if i tried to record the show "pti" everyday on espn at 2:00pm it would be pretty difficult to do so since their is no guide if im recording ota channels) I just need to find out if tuning adapter are required with charter in so cal, anyone know?

17. Qwerty102

Qwerty102 New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    The guy came out today and installed the Unit, but when he installed the Unit he didn't connect the USB Cable (and in fact he didn't leave a USB Cable). I contacted Charter and they told me that the Tuning Adapter will function without a USB Cable Connected because I am currently rec'd all premium channels. I told them from my understanding that a USB Cable must be connected in order to allow two way communication, and that is when Charter and they told me that I have to purchase the USB Cable from TiVO which I know isn't true.

They then decided to schedule another appointment on Saturday with a different technician to verify the previous install / reinstall the tuning adapter, because I insisted that the install wasn't complete according to the CISCO install instructions that were left behind.

After that I contacted TiVO to verify that the USB Cable has to be connected, and they confirmed that I was correct in my assumption and the USB Cable does in fact need to be connected to the TiVO device.

I was able to get the Tuning Adapter working correctly without the second schedule appointment on Saturday, so I guess it was a less painful than the three attempts to get the CableCard working correctly.

18. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Without the USB cable, the TiVo doesn't even know the TA exists. You should be able to verify the TA status in the TA screens on the TiVo. Unfortunately, you can't do the TA test channels feature until SDV is enabled. Until then, you can't be 100% certain it will work.

19. mmascari

mmascari Member

May 16, 2002
    Bummer, I should have read this first.

They guy was here today, hooked it up and before we connected it to the TiVo, he was expecting it to do something besides just the blinking light and before he pushed the activation to it. After an hour where nothing would get it to do anything else, he scheduled another trip with a new adapter and left.

He did try to call some other techs to see if he could get another adapter that was close, but had no luck. Kept calling it a trouble adapter. :)

Next time, I'll just hook up the USB cable right away, as soon as it's powered.

20. Qwerty102

Qwerty102 New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    The Tuning Adapter was working fine and I was able to use the Tuning Adapter to access channels for about 4 hours, but now for no known reason, the light starting to blink on the Tuning Adapter and I have lost all access to any change using the TiVO.

I have attempt to reboot te TiVO, and the CISCO Tuning Adapter. Does anyone have a clue on what is the next troubleshooting item, other than calling Charter to get a new unit?