Charter told me I would have to give up my CableCARD to change TV packages.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tarheelblue32, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Jul 8, 2017 #1 of 21
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Charter told me I would have to give up my CableCARD to change TV packages. An FCC complaint made them change their tune.

Went by the local Charter office last week wanting to change my TV package from my old TWC TV package to a new Charter Spectrum TV package. The guy at the Charter store was very nice, but told me that I would have to turn in my CableCARD and tuning adapter and take Charter's cable boxes to be able to change my TV package. Not wanting to argue, I simply said thanks but no thanks and walked out.

When I got home I filed an FCC complaint about it and two days later a very nice man from Charter called me up and said he would be glad to help me. Five minutes later I had the new TV package I wanted and faster internet service for about $25/month less than what I had been paying. At least the FCC is good for something.

aaronwt, ct1, tim1724 and 10 others like this.
  2. Jul 8, 2017 #2 of 21
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I can see how they would need you to use their boxes but, as to the CableCARD, how the heck are you supposed to switch that out for another box? That doesn't even make sense, since the newer models of Tivos (well, newer for the past several years) don't use a cable box, only the card/ta.

Anyway, glad they fixed it in the end. I wonder if you just got somebody who was totally clueless. The only reason I could see for them not giving you a CC is that, at least in my market, they require a service call to install a card the first time. After that you can just install it and call them to re-pair it to a new device.

Glad the FCC knew what they were doing. Hopefully, that doesn't get dismantled.

3. Jul 8, 2017 #3 of 21
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    The ability and need to offer "self installs" for cable cards has been in effect for several years now.

4. Jul 8, 2017 #4 of 21
    sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Glad to hear that! Back when I replaced my S2 Tivos with Premieres, was quite a few years ago so they would only do it by having a guy come to my house to install them. I was actually kind of glad because if I would have picked up 2 CCs and had pairing problems (with my luck I would), it would have been more hassle. The guy did have one that wouldn't pair but he was able to quickly try another one and got the job done. I've, since, re-paired both of them by phone. :)

5. Jul 8, 2017 #5 of 21
    tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I already had a CableCARD and tuning adapter working very well in my Roamio Plus. They didn't have to give me a new one. All they had to do was authorize the new channels I wanted. The old card is still working great with the new TV package.

The Charter rep was just trying to force me off my CableCARD device and onto Charter hardware. He claimed that CableCARDS were old, outdated technology and they weren't going to work with a new Charter TV package. Whether Charter trained him to try to do that or not I have no idea.

The moral of my story was that FCC complaints work very well to get cable companies to do what they should be doing anyway.

tim1724 and sharkster like this.
  6. Jul 8, 2017 #6 of 21
    sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Ah, I see. In my ignorance I was thinking that maybe with the company change (From TWC to Charter) that the TWC card would not be compatible with Charter. D'oh! Sorry about that. Shows how much I know.

I AM glad that the FCC was there to straighten things out. :)

7. Jul 9, 2017 #7 of 21
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I'm in the process of doing something similar. However, I have had Charter all along, so they'll probably resist giving me the package for new subscribers. What's really interesting is the lineup for new customers is different than mine. The Gold tier has NBA and Pac-12 nets and even though I have the Gold tier, I get neither. New customer gets rate about $60 cheaper than I pay now. (I put in my neighbors address)

I'm going to begin the conversation with "I'm canceling service and going to Dish to get the Pac-12 net" and see what happens.

8. Jul 9, 2017 #8 of 21
    KimHedrick

KimHedrick Member

Oct 12, 2014
    North...
    I'm assuming that your email addresses were changed going from TWC to Spectrum. If that's correct do you have a period where you can still access your old email in order to update your email at various websites, etc. or do you need to do that in advance?

9. Jul 9, 2017 #9 of 21
    tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I don't know about what happens to people with TWC email addresses. I actually had Earthlink internet through TWC rather than TWC's branded internet service, so my email addresses were with Earthlink rather than TWC. Now that I'm switching to Spectrum internet I would ordinarily lose those Earthlink email addresses, but Earthlink will actually let me keep my email addresses with them going by paying them $4/month. Eventually I'll probably try to switch over to different email addresses, but for now I'll just pay Earthlink to keep them going.

10. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Is there any reason why they would get rid of current email addresses? I have an @charter address, I don't anticipate them saying I have to give it up for @spectrum.

11. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Okay, I just got my lineup change-legacy Charter to Spectrum. No cost savings unfortunately, but I did get the channels I wanted. Now is the next big step- getting TiVo to get the additional channels into the TiVo guide. They are not there yet and TiVo doesn't have alternate Builds.

12. KimHedrick

KimHedrick Member

Oct 12, 2014
    North...
    Any change to your email? The reason I'm curious is when I moved 2 years ago I had to switch from my TWC email from carolina.rr.com to twc.com (much nicer, short address) and I dread going through that all over again. :-(

13. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    No mention and I'd be shocked if a change was required. It would piss off way too many people.

14. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    On a sidenote, I'm having to pay Earthlink $7/month to keep my Earthlink email addresses going. Oh well, maybe eventually I'll manage to migrate to a free email service.

15. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I've been using gmail for ten years. It's my primary address for everything even though all it does is forward stuff to my ISP where I get it via Outlook. Good spam filter also, and spam does not get forwarded. I've gone through three ISPs and never had to mess with any accounts.

fcfc2 likes this.
  16. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I would have been, "Sir, you must follow federal law and issue me a CableCard on the package of my choice. If you continue to violate federal law, then I will file a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission to force Charter to comply.".

17. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah well I didn't want to get too confrontational with the underpaid, low-level Charter employee who was just doing what Charter trained him to do. I could have asked to speak to a manager, but that could have taken who knows how long. I'd rather just file the FCC complaint and have them make a Charter manager contact me.

18. Dodge DeBoulet

Dodge DeBoulet Member

Aug 3, 2010
    This.

Many, many moons ago I bought myself a vanity domain and snagged one of the free 100-user Google Apps domains. My email address hasn't changed in 15 years, and I have service through both Comcast (Home) and Spectrum (Vacation home).

The only ongoing email-related cost is the annual domain registration renewal, which is like $10 :D

19. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    No, not at all. I have charter email addresses and they have remained the same. Prior to moving my internet to Charter I had been with sbcglobal for years. At some point ATT purchased sbcglobal and, for years until I ditched ATT, I had those same sbcglobal email addresses.

However, when I left ATT for Charter, I couldn't wait to get rid of everything ATT, so I changed them myself to Charter. We'e had Charter cable tv for decades. Now I have everything with them, as of about a year and half ago, and am very pleased.

20. a_gizmo

a_gizmo New Member

May 8, 2014
    Louisville KY
    I want to say thank you for posting this. I'm in the same boat. I called Spectrum last week trying to get a new package after my TWC promotion ended and got the same message from the rep, "no cablecards allowed" which I knew wasn't true. I may do the same thing now and file an FCC complaint.

tarheelblue32 likes this.