Charter / Spectrum With Tivo Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Johnny Dancing, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    Moved to a new home with only Charter Spectrum available and I can no longer have Directv because too many trees around my house.

Rather, then use the Spectrum bad DVR I decided to go back to TiVo. I have the Bolt and a Bolt Mini.

Ordered a cable card, and spectrum sent a motorola card. I installed and it seems to work but no signal on any of the Pay channels. I can connect to the spectrum app on my Roku and I get all the channels there. Anyway, a service call is scheduled tomorrow. I am just thinking he will say those channels won't work with Tivo. Also, strangely, all the SD channels don't come in and are all pixelated with a very weak signal.

Any tips pre service guy?

Also, is the Tivo Bolt able to get spectrum on demand channels? If so, how? During the move we have been disconnected for a few weeks and I wanted to catch up on Better Call Saul and Fear the walking dead, but could not see a way to pull in their on-demand channels other then through the spectrum Roku app on my secondary TV. This is something I would not normally need but there are about 2 or 3 weeks of shows I would like to watch without downloading or streaming.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Starting simple: did you get the cable card paired?

Item to check is Val: V and a VCT ID greater than zero. This is my Conditional Access display:
    ccCA.JPG
    My Diagnostics display about the cable card:
    cablecard.JPG

On my premium channels I get a message that it is not authorized, not that the signal is missing. I don't have Spectrum, but it sounds like your card isn't paired.

BTW, I think Showtime is clear all weekend starting tomorrow.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  3. MBorland

MBorland New Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Ditto on the pairing portion. You don't mention calling in to do it, which is required.
    Also, not sure where you are, but in WI we have Switched Digital Video, which requires another addon box. It's free, but without it you wont get much.

4. Johnny Dancing

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    Yeah, I called in to pair card.

I get numbers on diagnostics screens.

Cable Gal is here and knows nothing about cable cards or Tivo. Trying a tuning adapter but it is flashing yellow for 20 minutes now.

5. MBorland

MBorland New Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Well, I don't want to tell the cable gal what to do, but... I did do both my installs on my own.
    Cable coming in has to split, one leg to TA, one to Tivo. Can't use the split built into the TA. Dunno why, that's what I was told. Then USB from TA to Tivo
    Really sounds like you need to request a different installer.

jgolden likes this.
  6. Johnny Dancing

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    Tuning adapter message from tivo, says it does not support 6 tuners....

I'll tell her about the split.

7. Johnny Dancing

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    The split to the tuning adapter and TiVo was correct. She told her support person online that the TiVo was giving a message that the tuning adapter was not 6 tuner capable so they are doing a firmware update on the tuning adapter that takes 45 minutes to 2 hours.

tuning adapter is flashing yellow she said when it's good to go it will be a solid yellow light which seems weird I would think it would be a solid green light but what do I know. it is a Motorola tuning adapter with a Motorola CableCARD in the TiVo.

She left and may come back later today but I think you are right I need a more experienced cable person out here.

8. Johnny Dancing

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    I found the VCD ID in diagnostics and it shows only a "-" no number.

I really think it is a pairing problem, not sure if I even need a tuning adapter. It is still flashing yellow.

9. Johnny Dancing

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    Motorola tuning adapter still blinking yellow. Looking at the connections she did - Cable into splitter, then one line to OUT on Tuning adapter and the other to the IN on the Tivo Bolt. USB connecting them both together.

Intuitively, it seems that the cable should go to the IN on the tuning adapter, but I assume someone told here how to hook it up properly and the USB handles the communication.

VCD ID does have a valid code on the conditional access display on certain channels, In diagnosis I get the "-" for VCD ID

I found this page and it seems codes are correct https://support.tivo.com/articles/Troubleshooting/CableCARD-MMI-Screen-Information

Still I am thinking there is a glitch in the pairing, but they refused to try Re-Pairing it for her while she was here.

Lots of one on the auto charter service call survey.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Please don't place too much on that number. It could be your cable feed doesn't care. I would never have know about it if it wasn't that my headend changed during a rebuild of my network. BTW, I don't have any faith in TiVo's diagnostics. In Diagnostics you will never see "Paired:" to be Yes.

11. Johnny Dancing

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    Cable gal just call to see if is working and I mentioned that the cable was going to the out on the tuning adaptor. She apologized and said it should go to the in. I switched and we'll see if the yellow light stops blinking. Still don't have my hopes up.

12. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    What do you see for "Val:" on the Conditional Access screen? If you see 0x00, then it's not actually paired. If you see any other number then it is paired. Solid yellow on TA is good, blinking is bad.

I've paired Moto cards and TA's on Charter at least 20 times in the past several years. Most of the pairing issues I've had are due to the person sending the hits not asking for or wrongly entering Host ID and/or Data string. TA has always been either TA being removed from my account or disabled on their end.

Hang in there, it will eventually come together when you find a competent Spectrum person.

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    While it's true that the number following Val: will be non-zero for a paired card, it's the "V" that indicates pairing. The number is the number of times the card has been paired.

mdavej likes this.
  14. Johnny Dancing

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    I had to travel last two days. So I had to put wife in charge. The local supervisor came to the house 3 times twice to try to get the Tivo working and lastly to bring the DVR from the office. He said it must be something wrong with the Tivo since they tried everything.

I am pretty impressed with phone and local customer support. They really did there best to get it working for me, however, I'll be pissed if it turns out to not be a bad brand new Tivo.

I bought direct from Tivo so contacting them now.

15. larryhitz

larryhitz New Member

Sep 29, 2016
    I found that the Spectrum group for cable card is really good with TIVO support.
    Spectrum cable card support group 1-866-532-2598

16. Johnny Dancing

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    Called TiVo, they insist that Spectrum did not pair the card properly. Tried to do a conference call with Spectrum, got disconnected.

I'll wait until after the holiday weekend to try again. The local supervisor will come buy Tuesday while I try calling Tivo again.

17. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I agree with TiVo. Incorrect pairing is the problem the vast majority of the time. From what you’ve posted, I’m not convinced it’s paired. Still haven’t seen that V number.

18. sxmfan2018

sxmfan2018 Member

Aug 31, 2018
    los angeles
    I called that number last night and it routed me all over to billing support but no dedicated cable card support

Pete716 likes this.
  19. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Legacy Charter has no cable card support number, never has. Only legacy TWC areas still have that.

20. Pete716

Pete716 Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm in a legacy TWC area and that phone number has never worked for me - routes me to regular tech support. However, if I tell them I have a cable card issue, they almost immediately transfer me.