Charter/Spectrum Set Up a Separate Modem & Router: How to Add Moca?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Zephyr, Dec 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dec 5, 2017 #1 of 12
    Zephyr

Zephyr Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Massachusetts

Advertisements

We have moved the Tivo and Mini to a vacation house for three years and have used a moca on the front end to drive the devices in the house. Has always worked fine, eventually.

This year Charter/Spectrum installed two boxes, a modem and a router at the front end instead of the usual combined box. How should I hook this up?

Last year's "one box" solution: Coax->Moca->coax->router
    Moca->ethernet->router

This all worked fine at the front end!

Now, separate modem and router. I only have one ethernet input on router.

Coax->Moca->coax-> to modem I guess?
    Moca->ethernet-> to modem? or router?

Thanks for your help. Not sure why they installed these two units when they've always left a "tower"

2. Dec 5, 2017 #2 of 12
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Are you sure there's only a single Ethernet port on the *router*? This would be a unique situation in my experience.

A simple modem (i.e. not a combo modem/router gateway) typically only has a single Ethernet port; and a typical router (again, not a combo gateway) would have a single "WAN" Ethernet port for connecting to a modem, but would also have 4 "LAN" Ethernet ports for connecting customer devices. A combo gateway would just have the 4 LAN ports, since the modem/WAN connection would be internal to the device.

A normal MoCA bridge setup would have you connect a MoCA adapter to the coax line, as well as connecting the MoCA adapter to an Ethernet LAN port on the router or gateway.

Can you provide the brand and model numbers for the modem and router you've been provided?

3. Dec 5, 2017 #3 of 12
    fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    When you say "MoCA" I assume that you are referring to a MoCA bridge of some kind.

The pass-through coax output on your MoCA bridge should go the to the coax input on the cable modem.

The Ethernet cable from the MoCA bridge should plug into a LAN port on the separate router.

krkaufman likes this.
  4. Dec 5, 2017 #4 of 12
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Shorter answer:

coax->MoCA adapter->coax->modem

MoCA adapter->ethernet->router LAN

edit: p.s. Forgot this key connection:

modem->Ethernet->router WAN port

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  5. Dec 5, 2017 #5 of 12
    Zephyr

Zephyr Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Massachusetts

Advertisements

Lovely, lost everything... the gear:

Arris TM1602 modem

Sagemcom FAST 5260 router
    http://m.setuprouter.com/router/sagemcom/fast-5260/manual-2104.pdf

Actiontec Moca ECB2500C

Config did not work, lost both internet and telephone! I was so hopeful!
    I always restart everything, power off/on

I tried ethernet to router to laptop, not working.
    Internet light on router was red. It does not like that wiring.

Thank you.

6. Dec 5, 2017 #6 of 12
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    There is one Ethernet port on your Arris 1602 and 2 telephony ports. That one Ethernet port on the Arris goes to the
    WAN port on the sagecome, which is the yellow one, no other.
    The Ethernet port on your MoCA adapter should be connected to one of the other 4 LAN ports on the sagecom, the dark ones.
    Once you get the proper connections pull the power on all devices, then power up the Arris and wait until all the lights settle down, then power on the Sagecom router and again wait, and then finally power on the MoCA adapter.
    Report back when done. You can test for internet by a direct Ethernet connection to a laptop via one of the other 3 LAN ports on the Sagecom.
    Where is your MoCA filter?

krkaufman likes this.
  7. Dec 5, 2017 #7 of 12
    Zephyr

Zephyr Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Massachusetts

Thank you! I will try that tomorrow. Spent an hour on the phone with Charter... they are clueless as usual. I was spoiled last year, painless. And I haven't even gotten to the tv/cable card end!

8. Dec 6, 2017 #8 of 12
    Zephyr

Zephyr Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Moca filter on the lead end of the cable coming into the distribution board down below. I also exchanged the splitters (all I could find) with higher frequency per advice at Tivo. I can only assume all that is still in place because it's locked up! Will try your approach shortly! SO want to stay on line for a bit. Thanks!

9. Dec 6, 2017 #9 of 12
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    @Zephyr, @fcfc2's steps should normally work to get a modem initialized with the provider, and the router paired with the modem.

My only suggestion would be to leave the MoCA adapter powered-off until you've verified satisfactory Internet connectivity via the suggested laptop test or similar. (Effectively removing MoCA from the equation in resolving your Internet connectivity issue, short of actually not connecting the MoCA adapter.)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  10. Zephyr

Zephyr Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Massachusetts
    fcfc2... It worked! Thank you!
    House coax->Actiontec ECB2500 MoCA->coax->Arris TM1602 modem->ethernet->Sagemcom FAST5260 yellow WAN

MoCA->ethernet->Sagemcon router LAN port

Power sequence: Arris, Sagemcom, MoCA

Now back to the Tivo side!
    Thank you all!

krkaufman and fcfc2 like this.
  11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The coax/MoCA status LED on the adapter doesn't light-up until the first MoCA client successfully connects. Have you only just connected the ECB6200 as the main bridging MoCA adapter, or have you already done that and are trying to connect some other device as a MoCA client?

You can use either a second MoCA adapter (e.g.) or a Mini (e.g.) direct-connected to the ECB6200 to test basic MoCA connectivity, and to demonstrate how the status lights would normally operate.

Knotlrac likes this.
  12. Knotlrac

Knotlrac New Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Thanks. I think the coax sight I was trying to connect is dead. When I connected the second client on a different sight the pairing locked in and is now working perfectly. Thanks again.

krkaufman likes this.