1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charter/Spectrum losing channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Corey LeVier, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Corey LeVier

Corey LeVier New Member

Oct 12, 2018
    Hello, I know there are some similar posts here abut this but they all appear to be quite old.

I have a Roamio on Charter/Spectrum cable with a Motorola cablecard. I started losing channels almost 2 weeks ago so I called Spectrum and they redirected me to tivo who redirected me to Spectrum... so they dispatched a tech this week and everything looked good, but...

So Spectrum started making changes to their system, updated my card firmware and that's when it broke. The technician said I needed a tuning adapter and installed it. The end result was the same as the start but now I have a tuning adapter and my more than half of my channels are missing. While there the tech received an email saying they have identified a problem and are working on it...

The changes Spectrum made were to switch all of the tv signals to a smaller band of frequencies to make way for GB internet at home.

I am just wondering if there is anyone else with this problem or has had this problem and might offer some insight on how long this could take.

Thanks
    Corey

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    What is your location?

3. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Lots of people have this problem. It is usually either the CableCARD is not authorizing some of your channels or your Tuning Adapter is not working. Sometimes it is a weak signal on the bad channels. (I had this last problem once because the splitter under the house got corroded away to almost nothing. In fact I have had all of these problems at one time or another.)

Is the light on the front of your Tuning Adapter blinking constantly? If so, that is the problem. If not, here is TiVo's CableCARD troubleshooting link. If that's not the problem you should look at the signal strength for the missing channels in the Tuning Adapter diagnostics panel. If it's low but not zero you have a signal strength problem.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
  5. Michael Kelly

Michael Kelly New Member

Sep 21, 2018
    I am also a Carter/Spectrum customer in the Ft. Worth, TX. area and experienced the exact same problem with missing channels on my Silver Package.
    My problems started on 9/30 when Spectrum upgraded their internet equipment in the area. It took many calls and tech appointments until my problem was finally fixed on 10/11 when Spectrum installed a Cisco STA 1520 tuning adapter to my TiVo Bolt Vox. My service is now back to normal.

6. Leo_N

Leo_N Lucky 200 member

Nov 12, 2003
    Wisconsin, USA
    I had a similar problem recently. Tech guessed at a bunch of things before finally testing at the pole. Turned out the fix was having line techs come out and adjust levels. Some frequencies or something were being cut off.

7. XIBM

XIBM Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Make sure your signal strength is around 90% in your diagnostic screen. Just had a Bolt at 70% and it would not pick up some channels and some would pixolate and some would work OK. I found a loose coax connector on a splitter and the signal went to 90% and all channels started working.

8. Corey LeVier

Corey LeVier New Member

Oct 12, 2018
    Thanks so much for the feedback.

I live in Northern California. I got a call today saying they solved the problem but I still don't have my channels.

I know about the issues regarding corrosion, as the tech found a lot of corrosion and very low signal strength in a lot of the frequency spectrum. They resolved those issues at the house, the tap and the pole, and claimed the problems were on "their" end at that time.

The tuner adapter they installed was an mtr700, and the light flashes constantly but my Roamio seems to think it is working ok.

Signal strength is not shown, just a hyphen.

I will update if I hear anything else. Thanks so much again for the feedback, you have given me more to talk to the techs about.
    Corey

9. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Flashing means it ISN'T working. So no surprise you still don't have your channels. Solid amber light means it's working. You need to call them back and confirm the TA is actually on your account AND enabled. It also may not be connected correctly, as MOCA can interfere. So if you're using MOCA, make sure you put a POE filter on the input. It's also best to split the incoming coax with one leg to the input of the TA and the other to the input of the Tivo. There shouldn't be any connection on the TA coax output. The only connection between the TA and Tivo should be the USB cable.

10. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    About 3 weeks ago I lost most of my Spectrum channels. I decided to reinstall my tuning adapter and the missing channels returned. I may have had to call tech support to get the tuning adapter to stop flashing as it had been disconnected for over a year.

The bottom line is that Spectrum (in at least) NW North Carolina convertred most channels to SDV.

11. Corey LeVier

Corey LeVier New Member

Oct 12, 2018
    Just an update... I had another tech out a few days ago, another 2.5 hour visit and now the tivo box doesnt recognize the TA at all now.

I know it is because they deployed SDV, I inquired about the Cisco 1520 and they said they would check but they don't use that model here.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. It gives me suggestions for the techs.

12. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Yeah, you can’t use a Cisco if the headend is Motorola. Did you check the connections per post #9? If they are okay, then this remains a headend problem. Don’t forget to get a billing credit- assuming they ever fix this.

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Not exactly, at least not for Cisco TA's. Flashing means it's not working OR is initializing after a power-cycle, but solid doesn't always mean it's working. When my TA stops working every 3 to 5 weeks and needs to be power cycled, the light stays solid.

If the space program had been designed and run with the same diligence applied to TA's, every launch would have been a disaster.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    mdavej likes this.
  14. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    In fairness: If the TA system had been designed and operated with the same diligence applied to the space program, TA's would cost $10,000 plus a monthly fee of $100. :D

15. zrcr

zrcr New Member

Oct 24, 2018
    I've been lurking on the forums for a bit trying to find out solutions to my similar Spectrum issue with losing channels. It turns out in my area (Indianapolis) they made a switch to all switched digital channels as well, and someone turned off the signal that was required for tuning adapters to function properly. They finally got that system-wide issue fixed and when they re-associated a new TA with my account, our channels came back. Sadly, this took a senior tech and his supervisor coming out on the 5th customer visit to have correct information.

One issue this highlights, is really liking Tivo, but being stuck with one cable provider. I don't really want to give up my Tivo experience, but I also don't want to be missing 30% of my channels. Hoping they don't screw this up again, but not holding my breath.