Charter Spectrum (LA) no longer supporting Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by dis737, Jun 24, 2020.

1. dis737

dis737 New Member

Jun 16, 2020
    I had a tech over yesterday to fix the problem of periodically losing my premium channels (Tivo indicates "no tuning adapter" even though its connected and sync'd) and he told me they are having similar issues with other tivos across their system and the problem is that tivo is no longer updating their equipment (firmware/etc.) while charter is and that this problem will continue to happen and you will eventually start losing all your sdv channels and the only solution to keep you service stable is to use their box.

Anyone else heard something similar from their provider?

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Yep. Techs and their management have been spreading pure BS like this for years. I see at least a dozen threads per year on this board alone. Complete BS.

fcfc2 likes this.
  3. dis737

dis737 New Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Agreed sounds that way to me too, but the reality is I am having to have a tech come out at least once a month to get my premium channels back as no one on the support line can figure it out and no one can explain to me why this keep happening (signal levels are fine and it's always the same problem, tivo is no longer recognizing that tuning adapter is connected even though tuning adapter is sync'd with a solid light).

I have a call into the tech's supervisor to see if I can get any answers out of him.

4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Could be any number of things besides Tivo no longer updating their firmware, which is sort of true if you refuse to upgrade to Hydra. Could be a bad USB cable, bad USB port on Tivo or TA, bad power supply on TA, some other hardware failure on Tivo or TA. The sync light only cares about the coax connection, not the USB. But it doesn't sound like Charter's problem to me. They probably don't have a clue anyway.

5. dis737

dis737 New Member

Jun 16, 2020
    I think we've addressed most of the issues you suggested there, tried multiple cables, multiple TAs, gone back and forth on the tivo usb ports, power has always been steady on TA.

On a typical tech visit, the process of re-provisioning both the TA and the cable card (even though they claim they were previously provisioned properly) seems to get everything back up which leads me to blame something going wrong on Charter's end. Thx for you input.

6. karlegas

karlegas Karl Egas

Dec 3, 2013
    The problem is always on the provision of the cable card on the central system... I will expecting my new Tivo Edge on Friday I will try to provisioning on Saturday by myself hopefully I did not get trouble I was thinking get other cable card in case they cannot provisioning the actual with the new host.

What you think? Is worthy go to the store in case?

Karl

7. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I've just never seen a provisioning issue result in a "not connected" error on Tivo.

Are you missing anything important if you disconnect the TA? That's probably the easiest solution. Or switch to Youtube TV like I did.

8. dis737

dis737 New Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Yes, I lose a lot of my premium channels without the tuning adapter.

Not sure how much pressure the cablecos have to continue to support cable cards. They are clearly losing money on me with all the tech visits and customer service calls, and it sounds like I'm not the only one.

9. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    You can get your premiums on apps, unless you're talking about sports.

Cable card support is still the law of the land. If you don't get satisfaction, file an FCC complaint to light a fire under them.

10. karlegas

karlegas Karl Egas

Dec 3, 2013
    In my case are not only the premium channels are the international channels or any channel in SD format get error V56 if the card is not provisioned with the TA

11. dis737

dis737 New Member

Jun 16, 2020
    I'm referring to Digital tiers 1 and 2, which includes stuff like NFL network, ESPN U, FS2, MTV secondary stations, AxsTV, HDNet, Pac12

It also affects all the other HBO channels other than 501