Charter Spectrum - Channels not in HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by XanderCrews, Aug 20, 2017.

1. XanderCrews

XanderCrews New Member

Aug 20, 2017
    I was a Tivo user from years ago, but when I first got an HD tv, I ditched Tivo for the DVR that the provider provided. I loved Tivo, but it was easier to just switch to their DVR.
    I recently moved and switched to Charter from DirecTV...I absolutely despise Charter's DVR. It's awful. Horrible interface and the fact you can't access your DVR content on the other receivers in the house is a joke.
    So I switched back to Tivo and and going to get a couple Mini's for the other TV's. I'm excited about getting Tivo back...I've missed it....but anyway...

My Issue:
    I just got the 500gb Bolt set up the other day with a cable card and external tuner, and after a number of attempts with different cable cards, they finally found one that worked (that's another rant I have...for another time). However, I noticed after the service tech left that stations 2-99 do not come in in HD...just SD. To access these stations in HD, I have to go up into the 700's and find the HD counterpart for each station...which is a pain in the ass. Also, those stations aren't coming up on the Guide, nor does any info about the station such as the title or description of the program come up. So it does very little good to set something to record because it will never find the HD station due to the lack of show title and description, it will likely only find the SD channel...so screw that noise. PLUS, if I'm on, say, station 702, and I hit the "up" channel button, it doesn't go to 703, it goes to channel 3 or 4, whatever is next in the lower channel's counterpart. So browsing the stations is such a pain in the ass because I have to type the station in each time...and I have to look at a physical printed out channel guide to do so because the higher channels don't show up on the on screen guide.

I haven't taken the Spectrum DVR's on my other TV's back yet, and the low channels on those TV's display in HD just fine.

I just spent an hour on the phone with Spectrum and she sent a few different signals to the card, and it didn't do anything except cycle the card like it was unplugged and plugged back in. Nothing more showed up on the guide and no channel info showed up. Didn't do jack. She was of little help and a tech is coming out tomorrow to mess with it.

I absolutely can't stand how my numerous interactions with Spectrum have resulted in me understanding that they don't give a **** about cable card users, and they techs don't know how to service them. The tech that was here said that Spectrum no longer buys new cable cards. They just keep old ones in the system, even ones that are returned as not working. That's why they had to try 4 different cable cards before one worked on my Tivo Bolt.

My Question:
    So... is there anything I can do on my end to get these lower stations to display in HD before he gets here tomorrow? I have zero confidence in the tech that's coming tomorrow to be able to fix it. And what should I tell Spectrum if he can't fix it? And is anyone else having this issue with Charter Spectrum??

Thanks guys!

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I have Charter and the channels are the same. Where are you- zip code?

Have you gone into settings, channels, and checked the 700s and above? And unchecked the 1-99? If that is not the problem, You may have messed up during guided setup and chose the wrong build.

Edit: now that I've thought more, I'm 99% sure you chose the wrong build. Charter has a build that only has the 1-99 channels and if you chose that, TiVo is only giving you guide info for those channels.

Btw, you'll have to get used to using 700, 704, etc. for the broadcast channels. Just the way it is.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The lowest channels are almost always SD and the HD are in the higher channel range. Check those HD channels and Connect to Tivo service (Settings, Network) and eventually the guide should fill in.

4. XanderCrews

XanderCrews New Member

Aug 20, 2017
    I'm in 62294.

I just did that and I can now browse using the ch up and ch down, so thank you...but channel info and title still isn't there.

So you use the 700+ channels to watch tv?

5. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I really think he chose the wrong build. Charter in my area has one build that is only 1-99. If he had the right build, he would have gotten at least some guide data in the higher channels.

6. XanderCrews

XanderCrews New Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Doing that now...
    Waiting...
    Waiting...
    Will let you know what happens shortly.
    Thank you. :)

7. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    See my edit info above. I'm pretty sure you'll have to run guided setup again.

8. XanderCrews

XanderCrews New Member

Aug 20, 2017
    I don't recall doing anything with the build...and that doesn't mean I didn't...just don't remember.
    Can I do that over again to choose the right build, and what build would that be?
    Thank you.

9. XanderCrews

XanderCrews New Member

Aug 20, 2017
    I'm back in...it ran an update...didn't bring in any show info. So how would I go about running guided setup again?

10. XanderCrews

XanderCrews New Member

Aug 20, 2017
    No change after it ran the update. Still no title or show description info.

11. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    It gives you a choice of builds right after you put in the zip code. I can't tell you what its name will be, but probably something with digital in the title. You can go to tvguide.com and pull up the guide for your zip and it will also offer some build options. Unfortunately, they don't always correspond with the names TiVo offers you. Wish I could be more helpful, but you'll have to run guided setup once or twice more to get it right.

12. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    To run guided setup again, if you have the latest software, it is Settings and messages, help, reset to default, repeat guided setup.

13. XanderCrews

XanderCrews New Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Thank you. Found the option to do the guided setup. Doing that now.

14. XanderCrews

XanderCrews New Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Not sure what I could have chose differently. There are two provider options for Charter...one in Maryville and one in Waterloo. Maryville is the obvious one that I should choose, it's like 10 minutes from my house. Waterloo is much farther south...like 45 minutes away. The other options were AT&T U-Verse and something else that wasn't Charter. We'll see if what I chose shows anything different when it gets done.

15. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Not a good sign, but hope it works. Since you probably chose Maryville first time, I hope you chose Waterloo this time. While you are waiting you might check out tvguide.com to see what it shows.

If neither choice works, next step is to look at another zip code near you that has Charter. This is best done with tvguide.com since you can do it quickly since running guided setup takes way too long.

Of course your final resort is to contact TiVo and make them come up with a lineup for you. I don't think it will come to that though.

Btw, you'll probably want to cancel the truck roll. Nothing Charter can do, you're getting your channels, it's the TiVo guide that's the problem.

16. XanderCrews

XanderCrews New Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Well, I chose the same thing as last time (Maryville) and this time I now have channel titles and description info. And now, a LOT more channels are checked in the channel list by default. Also, there is a notice on non-HD stations when I tune in to them, right above the info box that says to press 'D' to watch that station in HD...which is nice. I do not remember seeing that before. So it looks like I'm good to go. Aside from actually having the lower numbers display in HD like they do on the actual Charter Spectrum DVR's in the other rooms, I'm happy with this and I'll just have to get used to the higher numbers I guess.

The only thing different this time, is that during the initial setup there was a cable card issue in that it didn't work. So it was initially setup without a working cable card. This one works, so I'm guessing that had something to do with pulling in the proper info. The tuner was also not connected properly initially...and it was for the 2nd attempt at the guided setup.

Thanks guys!

UCLABB likes this.
  17. XanderCrews

XanderCrews New Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Yep...going to cancel the tech appt. as soon as I get the text.
    Thanks again!

18. MikeBear

MikeBear Letting my mind wander, luring it back with candy.

May 21, 2015
    Mid-Michigan
    Charter/Spectrum repeats their entire guide channel setup 3 times in different groups, SD, HD, and Digital.

The lower channels you are talking about ARE SD only channels, originally for people that only accessed them with a standard tv set. The Charter/Spectrum (crap) dvr, when tuned to those channels, REALLY auto-tunes the higher placed HD versions of the channels(even though it continues to reflect the lower channel number). I'm unsure if a Tivo is capable of doing this.

IF you want the HD version channels, you need to tune the higher range of channels.

19. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm confused. You seem to imply that the lower channels are analog or vsb. I thought SD meant 480i digital.

20. MikeBear

MikeBear Letting my mind wander, luring it back with candy.

May 21, 2015
    Mid-Michigan
    They are digital SD now, but originally they were analog. Charter/Spectrum just continues to keep the same guide layout they've had for like 15~ years.