Charter/NFL Network Good News/Bad News

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by brewman, Aug 9, 2011.

1. brewman

brewman Member

Jun 28, 2003
    Leave it to Charter (really any cable network) to rain on their own parade.

If you haven't heard Charter and the NFL finally reached an agreement to allow Charter to carry the NFL and Redzone networks: Charter/NFL Press Release. That's the good news.

The bad news - No HD for you!!!. Neither network is being offered in HD in my area (Gwinnett/Duluth, GA) even though SDV has been active for several months. Since activating SDV my Charter has added a total of two HD channels - CNN and FNC - and believe me when I tell you that HD doesn't do Greta Van Susteren any favors.

What's the point of SDV if you don't increase your HD lineup with what may well be the most highly anticipated channel addition you've ever had?

Now I know how Charlie Brown felt when Lucy was the holder.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You should have th Charter rep who hangs out on AVSForum if there are any new HD channels coming your way. I asked a few months ago and he said no. Then I asked again a few weeks ago and he said they plan to add 26 new HD channels this winter. So perhaps your area is getting a big lineup change as well.

Dan

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Many Charter areas will be adding the HD versions sometime next month (before the regular season).

4. brewman

brewman Member

Jun 28, 2003
    This may very well be true, but Charter is making life difficult for themselves by not making the rollout dates public. The only way I've been able to find out anything about the their NFL Network/Redzone plans is by asking their UMatter2Charter team directly about my specific zipcode. As a minimum they could let their customers know they plan to carry both channels in HD.

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Because the agreement happened so late, each market is having to scramble to add the channels. It isn't as easy as flipping a switch. Because each market has different factors in deciding how and when to add channels, Charter can't announce a global date that the HD channels will be added.

6. brewman

brewman Member

Jun 28, 2003
    They don't need a global date, but I should be able to look up info relative to my local franchise.

7. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    That is likely not to happen given the quick release schedule. I don't know of any cable provider who could provide this information for every single franchise in the US at this late of date.