Charter Letter Today - Tuning Adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Resist, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Today I received a letter from Charter saying Tivo customers in my area need to call them to receive information on obtaining a Tuning Adapter.

I'm not very pleased about all this because I finally have other devices working perfectly with my Series 3 and I'm afraid it will all get messed up with a Tuning Adapter in the loop. Plus I really don't want another device adding to my electric bill, nor do I have an open outlet for it. I currently have 10 devices sharing one outlet via a UPS.

Am I over reacting?

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You have no choice if you want to continue accessing your channels. Setup is mostly painless. They usually offer the tuning adapters about a month before they flip the switch so you should go ahead and schedule it so they can get it properly activated.

3. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Well obviously I have no choice. They said beginning on or after July 15th it will occur. I am hoping they will let me install the tuning adapter myself and not have me waste a day waiting for one of their service idiots come to my house.

I got my Series 3 Tivo so I would only have one box, instead of two and reduce my monthly Charter bill. Now I'm back to having two boxes again. And if I need more than one Tuning Adapter (for my other Tivo's), they will charge me.

I swear I am that close to canceling cable TV and going totally OTA or through the Internet. Used to be cable TV made it easy and inexpensive. I remember cable TV being like $12 a month with HBO. But not anymore!

4. brewman

brewman Member

Jun 28, 2003
    I'm with Charter and have had TA's active on my 4 TiVos for about 3 months, and while they generally work there are instances where I'll get an "unable to access channel" message for a short period of time. I'm fairly certain they'll want to send a tech to install the TA.

5. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    The tuning adapters are free and the install is free. The only thing i hate about the tuning adapter is that all my tivo sugestions stop about 1 week after charter installed them.

6. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    That's odd... I have 400+ suggestions... all w/TA installed. Maybe you should turn off "suggestions" reboot and then turn them back on (that's my Windows mentality at work - yes, I know TiVo isn't Windows.... it's something much worse, lol).

7. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    It may depend on your provider and/or location. I believe some providers/locations prevent tuning of SDV channels for "unsolicited" selections, such as a TiVo Suggestion. I gave up cable digital television service awhile back in a cost-cutting effort, but I may be moving to a Charter provided area in the very near future, so I'm checking out relevant Charter threads here in TCF.

Not to veer too far off-topic, are you generally satisfied with Charter's service, quality, and pricing?

8. brewman

brewman Member

Jun 28, 2003
    Here in Gwinnett County,GA the TA install was not free.

9. au_en_bear

au_en_bear Member

Nov 11, 2003
    southeast
    It is supposed to be free. I had the same problem in that there was a service call on my next bill after the TA was installed. Call CS and tell them you expect to get a credit for it. Worked for me.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Charter sent me a similar letter about a year ago, with a hard deadline of July 15th just like yours. I called immediately and setup an install. They came and installed them around the 1st of July and they just sat doing nothing for the next 4 months. Finally I said f*ck it and unplugged them. I figured when/if they ever flipped the switch I'd just plug them back in. Well they finally flipped the switch... yesterday morning.

My point is.. don't rush. Even without them the only channels I lose are some obscure digital channels and a few of the secondary premium channels. (i.e. Max Action, Starz Romance, etc...)

Dan

11. Ennui

Ennui San Diego

Sep 2, 2008
    Cox here went to TA's early this year. I have three on my TiVo's (one Premier and two HD's) The TA's came with instructions and did not require a service truck roll, just a phone call. The TA's should be free. They are entirely for the benefit of the cable company. They provide no benefit for the end user.

12. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Same here... Basically the low traffic channels, otherwise they'd be on 24/7, defeating the premise of SDV implementation. Of course if the low traffic channel happens to be your favorite, then you'll need the TA.

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Suggestions can be disabled by the head end. It is a part of the tuning adapter protocol to tell it the priority of the request. And the head end can deny it for suggestions. It sounds like a misconfiguration though. Otherwise the cable company must have way too many people on that node.

14. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Why would the cable provider know it was the TiVo pressing the record button, versus me?

15. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Yes I know the tuning adapter and installation is free, but the electricity to power it isn't. One reason why I like having cablecards is because then I don't have Charter boxes taking up shelf space and eating my electricity. Not mention it's just another box that can fail.

They are installing the tuning adapter on Monday. But because tuning adapters are new to my area, I anticipate the Charter tech that shows up probably won't know what he's doing and I'll have to school him.

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
  17. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Never a good idea to have more plugs going into what a UPS is rated for. Not a big deal if those devices aren't on all the time, but my UPS has 8 outlets and the devices are on most of the time. That wall has only one electrical outlet to power my TV, surround sound receiver, sub woofer, cable modem, wireless router, Tivo, Slingbox, Ooma, wireless telephone base, XBox and Wii.

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Your UPS is rated for a certain VA rating. As long as you don't exceed that rating you're fine. It doesn't matter how much you pull on an individual outlet. The TiVo and tuning adapter combined only pull about 70 watts.

Now whether or not your particular UPS can handle it depends on it's VA rating. I personally have a 1500VA UPS which runs three S3 TiVos, one S2 TiVo, three tuning adapters, a cable box, two eSATA expansion drives and a cable amplifier. I've test run it on battery and it lasts almost 2 hours.

Dan

19. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    You have a better UPS than I do. Mine only lasts about 30 minutes on battery, just enough time to shut things down properly.

20. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I have an even smaller UPS. It is to guard against brief power interruptions. For what I believe may be longer term outages, I turn the UPS off.