Charter Install with Roamio and Mini NE Georgia What to Expect??

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by nickg420, Apr 30, 2015.

1. nickg420

nickg420 New Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Flowery...

Advertisements

I have my install scheduled for this Sunday. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a Charter install with Tivo in the NE Georgia area or if anyone had any last minute tips to help the tech and make his job easier.

The last thing I want is that look from my wife when it's 2 weeks before she can use this "fancy new stuff" I insisted we purchase :)

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Someone else can chime in here with exact details, but as I recall from a couple of years ago, you should go through the guided set up before Charter comes. This takes quite a while. Thus the cable guy won't be standing around getting impatient. Make sure he is bringing a TA and several cable cards. I have Charter, but not in Georgia, but it's the same.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    First off ignore the Mini for now. You can set that up after he leaves. There is nothing he needs to do to make that work, so no need to throw it into the mix and complicate things.

As UCLABB said get the TiVo setup and run through the complete guided setup now. (select the "I'll install CableCARD later" option) It can take a while and you don't want the cable guy waiting on that.

Don't let him daisy chain the cable from the Tuning Adapter. The Tuning Adapter has an in and and out. They're designed to have the cable from the wall go into the in and then have the TiVo connected to the out. However the internal splitter is terrible and causes a huge signal loss. You're much better off splitting the cable from the wall and running one to the TA and the other to the TiVo. It will save you a lot of headaches.

If you plan to use MoCa for the Mini then ask him if he's got a MoCa POE (point of entry) filter. If he does have him install it where the cable enters your house. This will prevent your MoCa signal from leaking over to your neighbors and can prevent an accidental shut off from their compliance guys if they detect the signal leaking back to the main junction box. If you're going to use Ethernet then don't bother with this.

Other then that cross your fingers and hope for the best. Pairing the card properly really depends on which tech they get on the phone when they call in. If he/she knows what they are doing it will be a breeze, if not it could be a nightmare. I've been with Charter a long time, and done a bunch of CableCARD installs over the years and I've had some that were smooth as silk and some that took days and multiple visits to get working.

4. b-ball-fanatic

b-ball-fanatic Member

Aug 5, 2003
    Northwest
    Great post, Dan! That should be a sticky for everybody waiting on a cable tech install... :)

5. May 4, 2015 #5 of 10
    nickg420

nickg420 New Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Flowery...

Advertisements

So the tech shows up without one cable card or tuning adapter and says the job was just dropped on him like 20 minutes earlier when he thought he was done for the day. So he calls his supervisor who tells him to get started with the install and he will have one brought to his location....On a Sunday @ 2:30pm....Yeah Ok...

Long Story Short....They installed 2 receivers I wanted but I had to reschedule someone to come out and install the cable card and tuning adapter. The earliest they had that would work with my schedule was Thursday.

I asked about picking up one from my local office and they said it had to be installed by a tech. I think I will call my local office this morning and explain the situation and try and talk them into just letting me pick up the equipment. I have no doubt I can get it up and running myself.

Not impressed with their service so far...Oh and the CSR assured me my market had the new Spectrum Guide....That was BS too...I'm stuck with this half-a-guide out of the 80's...I have to hurry up and get my Tivo's going so my wife can stop giving that look like "Seriously, we left Dish for this..."

Although she did say she noticed how much better the PQ was so that's a plus....

6. May 4, 2015 #6 of 10
    MVPinFLA

MVPinFLA TiVo Fan

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
    Great tips! My Roamio Pro is arriving on Wednesday and the Comcast install is on Thursday. I had planned on doing the setup on Wednesday so there wouldn't be a delay when the tech arrived. I will be using MoCa and have been told that our modem will be MoCa enabled. My current one is not. Can I do the setup for MoCa without being connected to a cable or ethernet; or do I need to select Wireless and change to MoCa when it is available the next day?

7. May 4, 2015 #7 of 10
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You can't pick a cablecard and tuning adapter for new service. However, now that your service is setup, you should be able to get one from the local office assuming they have them in stock. If you can pick it up, then you just need to install them and call Charter (and say 'cablecard' at the voice prompt) to active both devices.

8. May 4, 2015 #8 of 10
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Sounds like Charter has upgraded their cablecard support. Thanks for the info as I hope to soon upgrade to a Roamio and will have to be getting a new pairing.

9. May 5, 2015 #9 of 10
    nickg420

nickg420 New Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Flowery...
    I picked both up from the local office and after a few calls to Charter I finally got a rep that was experienced in Cable Cards. He got me up and running in no time.

Now I just have to learn all the things this Tivo can do.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

10. brewman

brewman Member

Jun 28, 2003
    By default Charter in NE Georgia does not use the TA pass-thru connection, but uses an external splitter.