1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charter / Cisco TA / EMM''s & more

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by RDCHERO65, Mar 15, 2017.

1. RDCHERO65

RDCHERO65 New Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Glendale customer since 1998.
    TiVo Premier Elite / Charter digital since 2012.
    Like everybody else, system has never been continually reliable but "good enough" 75% of the time & tired of rebooting, restarting, refreshing, calling, getting hits and waiting for techs ... like all users out there.
    Lately TA looses stations at best to alternating black with snow gray screens & non-responding TiVo. Also, tech says look for 130 EMM's minimum on TA diagnostic POWER KEY info screen after refresh.
    So, lately last 4 weeks lost channels, unable to reset without telephone CS help or worse tech appointment. Excuse long explanation & vent but first post here means I am really PO'd & frustrated. HELP!!
    So, yesterday tech replaces TA & Cable Card, Idents it with Charter to sync, and reboots all. Old TA showed 0 EMM's. New shows 145 ... but he has to send many hits to get there, Says if under 130, call telephone CS to send MANY hits, at least 150 to get EMM's up and to stick. All fine after visit at 5:30 PM yesterday ... today 3PM screen goes black, TiVo doesn't respond so reset TA by pulling USB and power, waiting, plugging in USB then power ... & nothing new. Finally restart TiVo and wella. .. got TV ... but ... EMM's are 0. OK, reboot, reset, etc, etc ... nothing still. Call CS tel them to send 150+ hits to reset EMM's. She knows nothing about TA EMM's. Won't send that many, won't talk about it even after above explamation. Get CS supervisor .. knows about EMM's but says can't send more than 10 hits, won't and says tech will be retrained. I say why he's right and other tech few weeks earlier and their supervisor all agree that EMM's need to be above 140 and it takes 150 hits minimum. So what is problem??
    Even after the 10 hit max I only have 20 EMM's so I reboot unplug & reply to try to get better and now back to 0 EMM's. UGH, what gives.
    Now, reading here, I see some words about not needing TA's? Really ... always??
    I have basic digital HD with digital tier 1 & digital tier 2. Can I get away with no TA, just cable card? Would love it since less stuff, less cords, less cost, less hassle and hopefully less problems ??
    Tech coming tomorrow so will ask then.
    And, I have splitter from coax in to run separate coax to each unit and direct wire ethernet to each applicable device, I do not use MOcA. So, that's the whole deal ... any idea's??
    And, if TiVo would help with old unit credit and lifetime service transfer or credit I'd love new big Bolt+ unit. I use 1 Mini and will probably add another to my 4 tuner Premier. The Bolt+ would give me 4 free tuners rather tan only 2 if both Mini's in use. Better, but Charter techs say stay with older TiVo units, not Bolt, Bolt+ or other new TiVo's. Why, they say not reliable, not good with digital pass and lots of problem. True, excuse or Charter issues ... anybody know??
    OK, appreciate your looooonnnngggg read, review and thoughts.
    Thanks,

Les

2. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    What is an EMM ?

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

3. RDCHERO65

RDCHERO65 New Member

Mar 15, 2017
    You'd have to ask the TA Gods! No idea except it is a measure of something that when there is not enough, the TA looses communication connection.

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    This is from a Cisco TA document.

Entitlement Management Message
    "EMMs are encrypted packets of information that carry default PowerKEY® information and service authorizations for Tuning Adapters, set-tops, and CableCARD modules. EMMs let the devices use secure services. "

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/video/headend/System_Releases/2-8_3-8_4-3/4025012_B.pdf

Some interesting information in that document on staging/deployment and troubleshooting.

Verify the PowerKEY Information

You can verify the staged PowerKEY information using the diagnostic screen on the UDCP device to which the Tuning Adapter is connected.

1 Connect the Tuning Adapter to a UDCP device that is connected to a TV.
    2 Access the diagnostic screens using the instructions supplied with your UDCP device.
    3 Go to the Network and Tuning Status page of the diagnostic screens.
    4 Verify that the ENTITLEMENT AGENTS / ISE(1): field displays 0x0000001.
    5 Verify the EMMs: / ISE: field displays the same number of EMMs that the UDCP device requires.
    6 Verify that the Sub Expires field displays the appropriate time stamp (usually 30 days in the future).

Notes:
     The EMMs: / ISE field will vary based on the level of Service Authorizations provisioned for the UDCP device.

 When the Tuning Adapter has received all its PowerKEY information, the Time GBAMs: / ISE field will increment, and the ISE error count will no longer increase.

 Refer to Understanding Diagnostic Screens for the Tuning Adapter (part number 4025082) for more information.

Results:

 The Entitlement Agent displays ISE (1) 0X000000001
     The Sub Expire date is set to 30 days from today

7 Do the pages display all of the items shown in the results of the preceding step?

 If yes, go to step 8.

 If no, send an instant hit to the Tuning Adapter using one of the following methods:

Using the billing system. The billing system has been set up to send the DhctInstantHit command to Tuning Adapters. Refer to your billing system documentation for instructions and specific information.

Using the DNCS. See Send Instant Hits (on page 29) for more information.
    8 Did the instant hit increase the EMM count to the required number?

 If yes, you are finished with this procedure.

 If no, go to Tuning Adapter Errors (on page 23) for more information.

Scott

krkaufman likes this.
  5. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Interesting stuff. From that doc, sounds like 1 hit should do the trick, so something else is wrong.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I thought this line was interesting though since it references a "required number".

8 Did the instant hit increase the EMM count to the required number?

In reading the document, I thought this required number was referring to something configured for the system (meaning the cable plant), but later in the troubleshooting, it makes it sound like it could be a configuration on the device it's connected to.

Scott

7. RDCHERO65

RDCHERO65 New Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Glendale CA TA EMM minium required number for Power KEY 1st EMM reference is 140, 2nd reference a few lines lower is 90.
    My current numbers are 172 & 104.
    When EMM''s died to 0, then 20, then 0 ... it took about 135 hits to get above minimum numbers ... and lots of convincing by my tech. When I tried on my own, phone CS declined one saying they only allowed 10 hits, another said max of 3. It's pain in the tail to call CS 15 to 50 times to get their mess to work right.