Charter CableCARD+Tuning Adapter work, then don't

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by bdruth, Jun 22, 2011.

1. bdruth

bdruth New Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Hi. We have recently switched from a Series 2 to a Premiere (under duress, HD failed in the S2). We have had Charter Digital (SD) in the Madison, WI area for over 10 yrs. Upon hooking up the Premiere, discovered that we needed to switch from our set-top box w/ IR blaster to CableCARD+TA, so setup the installation w/ Charter.

Installation was long as the first M-Card didn't seem to pair w/ the TA, but then after some calls & a 2nd M-Card, the tech was able to get channels tuned and took off. That was 10 days ago. Every day since, we loose authorization from the TA. We could be in the middle of watching something, or the Premiere is in the middle of recording something, or we just turn on the TV and bam - "Not Authorized".

No rhyme or reason to it, and generally, it doesn't ever come back on it's own (though we've observed that it has once or twice). We generally either reset the Premiere (through the menus) or (depending if it's my wife or me), unplug the M-Card & power-off the TA, wait 10s, reconnect, and wait 5 minutes - and we are authorized again.

3-4 times a day. Not kidding and not exaggerating, unfortunately. My wife's about ready to yank everything out of the wall and toss it on the curb.

I've been digging through the forums and I've seen a ton of posts about people getting not authorized, but haven't found any instances where things are seemingly fine & authorized, then at some random point later, things cutting out.

I've tried the two possible ways to connect the TA & Premiere RF:

wall => splitter => (1) Premiere, (2) TA
    wall => TA => Premiere

Neither seems to make a difference. The wall outlet is from a splitter in the basement ... The installation tech from 6 yrs ago took the incoming RF from the street => 3-way => (1) broadband modem (2) living room (3) 5-way splitter for all remaining outlets in the house. We're in the living room w/ the CableCARD+TA.

I'd like to figure out where to focus my attention to get the highest liklihood of resolution. Call TiVo and complain until they send out a new Premiere? Contact Charter and go through tech after tech after tech? Run to RadioShack and get a different splitter? Boost/dampen a signal? New TA? New CableCARD?

Anyone with knowledge/experience/advice in these matters, please let me know. I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks!
    Brice

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It's doubtful a new TiVo would help. Most likely there is an issue with your signal, or with Charter's TA setup. I would guess only Charter can fix the issue.

3. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Is your channel strength 70+?

4. bdruth

bdruth New Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Of the channels I've tested (channels we commonly watch), I commonly see 80-88. But, I just did a quick scan of the channels 60-68 (contiguous channels for a good sampling) and all but 66-68 were 80+, 66-68 had a channel strength of 68 or 69.

5. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    That looks fine... I'd take rainwater's advice at this point... there's something fishy... often this points back to the "head end" ... a good tech should flesh it out.

6. brewman

brewman Member

Jun 28, 2003
    It's possibly a signal strength issue, but I'm betting on a Charter provisioning issue. I predict you can call tech support for the next month and they'll keep telling you everything is setup correctly on their end, and then miraculously the TA will work without problem.

P.S. - I speak from experience with Charter in Georgia.

7. bdruth

bdruth New Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Sounds good, thanks for posting back. I plan on setting up a service call shortly.

8. bdruth

bdruth New Member

Nov 4, 2007
    I hear ya. Same all around. I've been w/ Charter for over 10 yrs ... been there, done that.

9. bdruth

bdruth New Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Planning on having them come out Tuesday (first opportunity for me to be home during the day), which means I'm stuck with flaky for the weekend. Might pop a blood vessel if it screws up while Formula One is recording :/

10. rboyed

rboyed New Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I am having the same concern, I have had my premiere for over a year and decided to install cable card. cable co. installed card and found out they had to put in a tuning device. I have time warner cable in OH, they installed and left and later in the evening the channels would not tune in and i get message that channel is temp unavailable.They have been back out twice since and went over everything from pole to tv, still acts up. i called tivo support and he had me check some things in the dvr diagnostics. Tivo told me to call cable company and bring out a new Tuning adapter and cable card. We believe it is one or the other but havent figured out which yet. they are supposed to contact me today, i will keep you posted of my progress, its crazy you have to reboot TA 3-4 times a day, and tivo wont record cause it loses signal.

11. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    "channel is temp unavailable" could be several things... it could be down; it could be that all the SDV slots are active (full bandwidth) and you can only wait for a slot to become available)... and other things... like a faulty TA...

12. Beernutts

Beernutts New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    What kind of TA, Cisco or Motorola?

13. shrike4242

shrike4242 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Saint Louis, MO
    OP, have Charter come out and put in a powered amplified splitter in the basement.

I had a number of 2-way and 3-way splitters in my original cable install back in the day and had issues off and on with signal strength. Charter came out about a year and a half ago and replaced all the 2-way and 3-way splitters with a single 8-way powered amplified splitter and I've had rock-solid signal strength ever since.

The split with the split in the cable between the Tivo and the TA is Charter's way of doing it, even though the TA has its own internal splitter.

14. rboyed

rboyed New Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Its a cisco TA, they are coming wed and supposed to have a new card and TA, we will see what happens. They changed my splitter and the signal is 80-88 , but when the picture goes so does the signal but only on some channels.

Thanks For The Help Everyone