Charter CableCARD issues With SDV

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jfh3, Sep 29, 2011.

1. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I am trying to help my sister in law hook up a new Premiere. I am very familiar with Motorola CableCARDS, but not so much SA (scientific Atlantic).

A few questions for those that know:

True tha SA cards only display cable card Id and host data value, where the Motorola cards also show a data value. If so, where does the data I'd come from to be used in the pairing process? The charter rep kept saying the is a sticker on the back of a TiVo that has a data value sticker on the box,

This is certainly not true for any retail Tivo's - the only stickersvthe have show TSN and MAc ID. Is charter using one of the for the data I'd?

The CA screen has a CableCARD I'd field and a host data value, but no host I'd. Is it ever present on a SA card? If not, what should the tech enter in the host id filed?

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    SA Cablecards do not display a data id. All Charter needs is the host id and the cablecard id. If they need a data id, then they need to realize you are on a SA system and not a Motorola system.

3. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    That's what I thought. How do I convince the phone people who INSIST they need the "data I'd from the sticker on the back of the TiVo"?

I presume that an SA screen looks different than a Motorola one.

I think my real problem is that the card is not staged - I think it should say Ready. The card is authorized ( or was before I reset the box).

But I can't seem to get to anyone at Charter that will talk with me "because of my insistence that an SA card has no data ID. Sir, your TiVo is defective and you have to call them."

4. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Looking for info on what they need to do to get CA status of "Not Staged" to "Ready"

(using SA Mcard)

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Contact the UMatter2Charter team (email, twitter, etc). They will usually pair a card pretty quick for you. I usually would just email them the information and it would be done, no questions asked.

6. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Thanks. Will try that. Installer here and not finding any physical problems.

7. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Tech got dispatch on the phone and he got the status in the proper state. Wish I knew what he did, but now have personal experience with SA cards (and, sadly, tuning adapters).

More info for the updated CableCARD FAQ !