Charter CableCard Install: Host ID???

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Poogie, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Poogie

Poogie Well-Known Member

May 12, 2002
    SoCal
    Thursday, Charter came to install the cable cards in my TiVo HD. When the guy saw the TiVo he freaked out. His English was limited, but he made it clear that he only installed CableCards in TVs, not TiVo. He made a phone call to someone. The conversation was in Spanish, but i did hear the word, TiVo, over and over. I guess he was talked into doing the install, because he then started.

I showed him the instructions TiVo provided for installing the cards, but he couldn't read them. He clearly was not doing it right. He put both cards in the slots and then went about programming them. The instructions said not to install both at the same timeĀ—put the first one in and complete installation, then do the second card. The instructions said that both cards needed separate host IDs.

I repeatedly pointed this out to the installer, but he refused to listen and installed them both at the same time. Through this whole process, I had to navigate the menus for him, because he didn't want to touch the TiVo remote. And, I had to pay $35.99 for the install. :mad: This was not my most pleasant Charter experience.

Bottom line is, both cards have the same host ID. Everything seems to be working fine, but I am wondering if this could cause problems anywhere down the line.

Thanks!

2. velum

velum New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    well at least yours are working. I am going to be on my fifth visit by a charter tech tomorrow. i did have one card working in the tivohd, but on the last visit the person on the headend made a mistake and killed the card that was working, so the tech installed two new cards both of witch do not work. Oh and to answer your question you should have a separate host id for both cards. Are you sure your getting all your channels on both cards.

3. Poogie

Poogie Well-Known Member

May 12, 2002
    SoCal
    I just checked. No I'm not. :mad: I only get analog channels on the other.

I am sooooo frustrated. I know if I call for a tech visit, I'll get more of the same. I'm afraid they will never get it straightened out and even make matters worse.

Edit to add: I am now on hold with Charter. I am about to have a stroke. Wish me luck.

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Sounds like they only activated one card correctly.

5. Poogie

Poogie Well-Known Member

May 12, 2002
    SoCal
    Yep. I'm fit to be tied. Spoke with a Charter CSR who put me on hold to see if he could get me an expedited service call. While I was on hold, another CSR picked-up, and I had to start all over again. She wanted to walk me through trouble shooting by unplugging the cable box. Um HELLO, it's a CableCard!!!! She then told me she had no expertise in that and scheduled an appointment for next Saturday. I have no faith in Charter and I'm afraid they will screw it up even worse!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

6. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
  7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I would never want the tech messing around with my TiVo remotes. On all my cc card installs I went through the different menus myself for the CC installs. The tech never touched it.