Charter Cable finally getting NFL Network + Redzone

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by brewman, Apr 20, 2011.

1. brewman

brewman Member

Jun 28, 2003
    I spoke with a Charter cable CSR today and was told Charter has reached an agreement with the NFL and will begin carrying the NFL Network and Redzone channels sometime this year. The CSR didn't have a date, but said it should be by the time preseason starts (assuming there is one).

2. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Note that RedZone is not turned on during preseason

3. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Also note that RedZone is (at least on RCN) $50/season.

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Most other cable cos don't charge for the channel but put it on the sports tier.

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I would be a bit weary of a CSR making this announcement when I have yet to see it announced anywhere else. Hopefully it wasn't a ploy to keep customers from jumping ship.

6. brewman

brewman Member

Jun 28, 2003
    While it's certainly possible the CSR was just blowing smoke I think he may be correct for the following reason (maybe it's wishful thinking):
    1. Whenever I have spoken to a Charter CSR, since the NFL network started many years ago, I ask the question about the NFL Network and the answer has always been the same: "All we know is Charter is continuing to negotiate with the NFL and hope to add the NFL Network as soon as possible." This time the CSR indicated they'd been told at a meeting that they've finally broken the impasse and will soon have the channel. He even added they'd also carry the redzone channel without being asked.
    2. I asked the CSR if he knew what broke the impasse and he referenced a lawsuit Comcast had brought against the NFL to allow the NFL Network to be placed in a sports tier.
    3. The CSR also mentioned an imminent price increase in the sports tier that will offset the added cost of adding the two channels.

7. gbshuler@yahoo.c

gbshuler@yahoo.c Clave Man

Feb 25, 2008
    Thinking of bumping up to Gold package at Charter Spectrum just to get RedZone.

Questions:

1. Any way to Stream NFL RedZone to my AT&T iPhone?
    iOS Sunday Ticket Stream?
    iOS Spectrum stream
    Something else?

2. I have had Charter Spectrum now with Silver package for about 6 months. I know they will bump up my monthly fee after 12 months. ?? If I bump up to Gold package does the 12 months reset?

I do have a TiVo BOLT (and a Roamio) but have not figured out how to stream shows to my phone sans WiFi connection with the TiVo IOS app.

Thanks

8. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You can't stream on mobile legally because of the NFL's deal with Verizon.

9. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    I am able to stream NFL redzone to my AT&T iPhone 6 using both the iOS NFL Sunday Ticket app and the TWC app.

10. gbshuler@yahoo.c

gbshuler@yahoo.c Clave Man

Feb 25, 2008
    Silly question, but I would assume TWC apps don't play well with Charter Spectrum (pre merger) customers? i.e. Never been a TWC customer - just Charter.

11. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Sorry I can't answer that.