Charter Cable Card Swap

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by richsadams, Jun 28, 2017.

1. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    We're about to upgrade from a Series3 to a Bolt+. Has anyone using Charter/Spectrum swapped out their cable cards from one unit to another without a service call?

I understand the Bolt+ uses a single cable card, not two like the Series3 (we also have a Premiere XL), so I'd only use one in the new Bolt+ and return the other.

I recall being able to do that when we had Verizon FiOS without any issues, but when we had Comcast, the cards were "assigned" to each TiVo box and required them to come out. It was usually an hour or more, mostly spent "training" their folks.

I'd just like to avoid encountering a tech that is unfamiliar with TiVo if I can simply swap out cards instead.

TIA!

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Does the series 3 use an M card which is required for the Bolt? I've been able to move an M card from a Premiere to a Roamio by calling Charter with the requisite info. So it can be done, but I suspect not every csr can do it. I have also had them insist on a truck roll when I got a new box and needed a card from them. So, if you have a spare M card call them and give it a try.

3. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    The Series3 didn't require an M card since each tuner is separate, but AFAIK they stopped making the old cards years ago. So, yes both of the cable cards in our S3 are M cards.

I guess one way to find out would be just to try it. I don't mind calling with the serial number and such. Since it worked for you that's good news.

But scheduling a truck roll is at least a week out these days and being the impatient type, waiting another week to play with my new toy would be unthinkable! ;)

I guess I could schedule a call a day or so after it's due to arrive, try the swap and if it works cancel. But I was just wondering if anyone using Charter had tried it.

Thanks!

4. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    My experience from an M card (bright house/Spectrum) in one Premiere to a Bolt+ was that I didn't need a truck roll even though I got one. The changes made after talking to a CSR took effect at exactly midnight. Nothing the CSR or the on-site tech could do would speed that up. This was right after the merger.

5. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Ah...good to know.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Just FYI for other Comcast users, we didn't have any issue moving one of the M-cards from one of our S3 OLED's to our Roamio Pro in October 2015 and calling the Comcast CableCARD activation number to get it repaired.

Scott

7. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Yeah, I wish Charter/Spectrum had that.

8. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    I have Charter/Spectrum. I moved the CableCARD from my OLED S3 to my Bolt + . No issues at all. The key is getting hold of a Charter / Spectrum CSR that knows how to delete the old pairing info on their end and establish the new pairing. My experience is that it can vary from your first call to 8 calls/transfers later to get someone with knowledge. I will say that my last 2 attempts only took one call. Pairing a cableCARD should never require a truck roll. The only thing a truck roll gets you is a different technical support arm of Charter /Spectrum.
    BTW. If you have a TA, make sure you power cycle it when you redo the card pairing.

9. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Good advice. That's what I'll plan on doing. I'll post back with my (hopefully good) experience.

Cheers!

10. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Can I ask a stupid question? How does one 'power cycle' the TA? I think I'm going to have to trade out my other Premiere (wireless adapter problem I cannot seem to figure out) for another Bolt.

When I got my first Bolt I played hell getting the CC paired on the phone. Nobody seemed to know what they were doing. I also have Charter. I don't look forward to having to do this again.

But I would hope to be able to do this again without so many headaches. The more I know, the better because I cannot control how much THEY know. Ugh!

The bad week that started last week is still going on. :(

11. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    It's been several years, but IIRC Comcast wanted the Host ID and DATA to pair the CC to TiVo. On our Premiere the screen below can be found by going through this menu:

1. TiVo Central
    2. Account and System Information
    3. Cable Card Decoder
    4. Cable Card Options
    5. Cable Card Menu
    6. Cable Card Pairing
    It may be different for the Bolt however.

I'm not looking forward to calling Charter either, but hopefully we'll get someone with CC experience first thing. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    sharkster likes this.
  12. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Thanks, Rich! I need to get that info and I appreciate all the instruction to get to it. I looked a little bit ago and didn't find the CC info and had forgotten about how to do it.

I'm just getting another Bolt and be done with this damnable wireless adapter thing. I couldn't get a connection using two different wireless adapters (both Tivo N) and there is nothing wrong with my internet or my network. They should have put wireless adapters internally long ago.

PS: Another shark fan? I've swum with many sharks over the years (love them!), but missed out on getting to go on a great white shark dive. Almost got there, but the place lost their permit and then time moved on.

13. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I don't know about a Motorola, but on a Cisco the only way is to pull to pull the power cord.

sharkster likes this.
  14. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Oh, ok. D'oh! Mine are Motorola, I believe, but that's probably all it is. I just want to make sure I know everything I can before I have to do this again. Last time I found the reps at Charter to be woefully ignorant as to cable cards. It's frustrating.

Thanks!

15. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Happy to help (or confuse ;) )!

The last Charter techs I dealt with when we moved here were actually familiar with TiVo so it was pretty painless. Luckily I saved the email address for one of them so I sent him a note asking about it just now. We'll see if he's still there and if he replies.

Avid diver here too! Most people freak out when you tell them that you've spent time with sharks...they are truly beautiful animals. Curious creatures that have little interest in humans other than to figure out what the heck we are and why we blow bubbles. :laughing: As you know the rare attack is generally a territorial issue or mistaken identity (humans resemble seals, especially from below when they're on a surf board). That said it's been mostly tropical locales where the various species aren't much larger than us with the exception of hammer heads (├╝ber cool). So we've never been in the water with great whites. That would be quite the experience. :thumbsup: Still on a mission to swim with a whale shark though. :grinning:

I'll post back if I hear from the Charter tech and let us know how things go with your mission. Once it's set up it's awesome, but dealing with the details can be a bit frustrating for sure. Best of luck!

sharkster likes this.
  16. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    (since it's your thread, I hope the OT is ok) ;)

Oh wow, you sound just like me. Sharks are the most beautiful, regal creatures. People have always laughed at me because I love to swim with sharks, yet I'm scared TO DEATH of bees. They terrify me.

I remember one dive, speaking of hammerheads, when I was diving alone. The divemaster knew I was experienced and didn't force me to buddy up with a stranger (thankfully-BTDT and it's scary!). So, as soon as everybody jumped in and went one way I would go the other way. One time I was coming back, along the reef, and the most stunning, HUGE, hammerhead comes swimming right in front of me. It was so awesome!

Few seconds later I heard some clanging so I figure the rest of the group must have been coming back, too, and saw them (divemaster clanging knife on tank to alert them). That was my best hammerhead experience of all.

Oh man, I could write a book of amazing experiences diving and especially with sharks. They have my heart.

17. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    I think a little OT is perfectly fine...really a plus. This is the TiVo Community Forum right? ;)

sharkster likes this.
  18. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    That's how we power cycle around here.

The main reason for power cycling the TA is that the number of tuners available won't change. When I moved the CableCARD from my S3 to my Bolt, I just unplugged the TA from the S3 to the Bolt + . Was surprised that I did not have 6 tuners available. Scratched my head a little and tried several things including rebooting the Bolt + several times. Wasn't until I unplugged the TA, rebooted the Bolt + and plugged the power back into the TA at the same time that the 6 tuners magically appeared.

BTW I have a Motorola TA.

sharkster likes this.
  19. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I was just getting off the computer and saw this. Thank You! That's very valuable info. It's probably a crap shoot, but can't hurt. I always try to figure the best way to do things. I'm going from a 2 tuner Premiere to a 4 tuner Bolt. It seemed ok with my first Premiere to Bolt conversion, but I'll do that just for good measure. New Bolt coming next Wed. Yay. I'm not a 'bags and shoes' girl. I like getting new electronics. :D

Be so glad to get rid of that last wireless adapter. Hopefully, the two Bolts will also communicate well. One good thing was that once I got rid of ATT Uverse for internet and put my internet with Charter, my Premiere and Bolt worked great together for either transfer or MRV. Fingers crossed.

20. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    They need Host ID and Data

Data is the unique information generated by your TiVo/CableCARD setup. HostID and CC Serial # are essentially equivalent from their standpoint (on a re-pair of the same unit) because they can look up one using the other. For a new unit, the HostID changes. From a pairing/encryption standpoint though, the CC Serial Number is not involved, just the Host ID and Data.

Usually they pull up your account and it has a list of CableCARD serial #s that are attached to your account so you just give them the last few digits and they can find the card to activate/pair.

In some cases, the CableCARD might not be attached to your account already. In that case, you would need to give them the CableCARD serial # so they can identify the card and add to your account to activate. That would only be the case for a new CableCARD, not a re-pair.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    richsadams likes this.