Charter Bullying or Do I Need This?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by aniemyer, Sep 14, 2011.

1. aniemyer

aniemyer New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Upper Midwest
    Hi,
    I just received a letter from Charter that states, in part:

" According to our records, you have Charter CableCARD installed in one or more of your television sets. Beginning on or after October 11th, 2011, CableCARD supported devices will lose access to a growing number of digital subscription channels."

Of course they don't say which channels these are, and naturally they want me to ditch my TiVO Series 3 for their in-house DVR. In the alternative, I'm supposed to call an 888 number to get a "Tuning Adapter" to solve whatever these alleged issues will be.

- Does anyone know just what the "growing number of digital subscription channels" are?

- Is this just a ploy to get me to ditch TiVO (go %^&* yourselves, Charter, if you think I am)

- Are there any reasons to get this "Tuning Adapter" at all? If this is for the "On Demand" channels, we really don't use those very much at all; we prefer to get stuff via our TiVO NetFlix, Blockbuster and Amazon accounts.

Thanks for any insights you all might be able to provide!

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    They are moving to Switched Digital Video (SDV). Basically certain channels will only be 'turned on' when requested by a user. Since the cable card can't send a request like a cable box can, you need the Tuning Adapter to acces the SDV channels.

3. criscokkat

criscokkat New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    I've had the Tuning adapter for about a year now in Madison, WI. Since then they've added quite a few more HD channels and a few new digital channels that would not have been possible without SDV.

The only issue is that it sometimes fails to switch, so you end up with a blank recording. This doesn't happen very often but it does happen. If it happens just flip to that tuner and tune to a non SDV channel (such as a local channel) then flip back. I've had it happen a few times - both times it was on either our HD syfy channel or one of the extra HBO feeds, which luckily repeats all of it's shows a bazillion times. I don't know if I have a bad one or if it's par for course but it hasn't bothered me enough to worry about it yet.

4. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Sure it would have been possible without SDV; they just needed to ditch some more of the fuzzy, nasty, legacy analog channels.

5. dwarner

dwarner Member

Feb 14, 2003
    I got a TA from CHarter about 8 months ago, and it's been perfect so far...
    I did get one wrong show recorded, but I don't know if that was a scheduling error, or TA glitch.

6. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I received the same letter from Charter. Turns out my area isn't getting the Tuning Adapters anytime soon, as my local Charter office knew nothing about them.

7. aniemyer

aniemyer New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Upper Midwest
    OK, well many thanks for the tips; I've scheduled a set up here in NE Minnesota for Friday. BTW, will this help me get PPV in HD? I ran into some huge issues about a year ago with HBO PPV events and now lug my Charter HD box into the TV room and hook it up for those.