Charter and HD in VA

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by sc123, Sep 24, 2007.

1. sc123

sc123 New Member

Jul 31, 2007

Advertisements

I have done a few searches and there are SO many threads discussing this, so I thought I'd post another one :)

I just got a Tivo HD DVR today and I connected my Charter Digital Cable to it (straight from the wall). The standard 90+ channels work as they did on my Series 2, but I'm not seeing any HD channels. I have done a channel scan and it picks up a few hundred channels like 79-5 and 80-1, which doesn't display anything when I view them but do light up the digital icon on the banner...

Forgive my ignorance on HD, but do I need an HD antenna or perhaps a CableCard in order to access the dozen or so HD channels Charter says is available in my area? I hooked up a normal antenna and re-scanned (which I'm waiting on now).

Can anyone tell me how to get the HD channels? Thanks!

2. sc123

sc123 New Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Hrm...I'm getting some HD channels - they are just numbered 113-1, etc. I guess I'll have to figure out which is which manually? Any way to name them in the Tivo or pull program info?

3. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Since nobody's answered your question yet, I'll go ahead and chime in.

I am also a Charter customer and yes you will need CableCards in order to pick up Charter's HiDef content as well as any other digital content. Without them only Charter's analog channels are viewable on your TiVo. Needless to say you will also need to subscribe to Charter's HD tier if you already don't.

If Charter in your area offers M-cards (mine does not) you will only need one M-card, otherwise you will need two single stream cards. Charter in my area makes this a service call rather than a customer install, I suspect it will be the same in your area as well.

The HD channels you are getting are possibly OTA HD signals and not coming from Charter.

Once the cable company office recognizes the CableCard(s) in your TiVo, re-run Guided Setup and you should be able to get program info for the new added channels.