Charter, 2 missing HD channels, TA ???

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jratzlaf, Jul 15, 2010.

1. jratzlaf

jratzlaf New Member

Sep 5, 2007

Advertisements

I have a Tivo HD with a multi-stream cablecard from Charter, and we're on SDV. As long as we've had this setup (8-10 months, not sure) everything has been fine--plenty of good HD channels are working--EXCEPT that there have been 2 HD channels missing, that I didn't care about until now. One of them is VersusHD, and I wanted to see the Tour de France in HD, so I called Charter and asked them why I wasn't getting it (channel 825 here, Asheville NC). They sent a clueless guy out, who eventually from a colleague found out that I needed a "Tuning Adapter", which I'd never heard of and which he didn't have. So another visit was scheduled. Another tech came, more or less equally clueless, because when he installed the TA, the channels still didn't come in. The Tivo recognizes the TA, but 825 still isn't there. In desperation he tried another cable card, with no improvement. At that point he gave up and left, already an hour late for his next "window". What do I do now???

Here's a little more detail, which might or might not be significant: Initially the Tivo would just show a grey screen on 825 and say "Searching...". After the first tech cleaned up the connections somewhat, the channel started coming in a bit. The picture would show, with digital "noise", and then the noise would increase and the picture would eventually go away, back to the grey screen. It got to where I might see 10-15 seconds of a perfectly good HD broadcast, but then it would degenerate. Sometimes it would come and go. After the TA was installed... nothing. Just grey screen.

The fact that the picture showed at least a little tells me that Charter actually IS broadcasting that channel. But at this point Charter seems to be completely helpless concerning fixing my problem. Of course at one point they muttered something about using Charter equipment instead of the Tivo.

Anybody have any ideas for me? TIA - JR

2. Beernutts

Beernutts New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    There's a few things that don't make sense here, but I'll point out the main issue.

Once the tech cleaned up the signal, and you begin seeing the channel WITHOUT using a TA, then that channel obviously is NOT on SDV, and does NOT need a TA. Adding a TA adds about 3.5 dB attenuation, so, it going to "dirty" the signal again, and that will cause you to not get that channel.

The channel is not switched, so it does not need a TA. You should remove the TA, tune the channel, check the signal levels. My guess is they are low and you should look at:

1) Finding out why your level is low at your TiVo and correcting it, or
    2) Adding an amp to your signal.

3. jratzlaf

jratzlaf New Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Thanks for your response. I have removed the TA, but still can't see the channel at all. Is there a way for me to check the signal levels, or is that what the tech had that big meter for? - JR

4. Ray Nagin

Ray Nagin New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Can you get the channels using the Charter cable box?

5. Beernutts

Beernutts New Member

Jul 16, 2010

Advertisements

Tune the channel, then go into TiVo's Diagnostics screen. It should tell you the signal level in there.

6. jratzlaf

jratzlaf New Member

Sep 5, 2007
    I don't have a Charter cable box, just the m-card in the Tivo. - JR