Charlie Sheen reportedly wants out of 2.5 Men

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mrdazzo7, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Apr 1, 2010 #1 of 432
    mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006

Advertisements

I don't usually start threads about shows I don't watch/can't stand but I figured people here would find this interesting. Could be a rumor but who knows. I think it's interesting because people think it's absolutely impossible for someone to want to quit something simply because they get paid a ridiculous amount of money. If he does quit, maybe it's because he simply doesn't want to do it anymore. Getting paid a lot doesn't mean you're happy doing it every day. Got knows if I had to read those awful one-liners day in and day out I'd walk away too. I never understood this shows popularity at all, but to each his own I guess.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/04/01/charlie-sheen-wants-out-of-two-and-a-half-men-report/

2. Apr 1, 2010 #2 of 432
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    There's some speculation that this is just his attempt to negotiate in public and get a bigger paycheck for next season, but given his recent personal troubles, I wouldn't be surprised if this is true, and he really wants out.

I'd be curious whether they've already written/filmed the season finale, and whether they could incorporate Charlie's departure into that episode if it becomes necessary. I also wonder whether Chuck Lorre and CBS would attempt to keep the show on the air without the Charlie Harper character, or if they'd just accept the fact that they've had a great run and call it quits.

3. Apr 1, 2010 #3 of 432
    mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    oh yeah that was my other point--I don't see how it can continue without him. Anytime shows try to go on after losing what makes them so popular, it never works out. From what I understand the dynamic of Charlie and Jon Cryer (worst TV character ever?) is what makes the show so popular. From a business standpoint it's gonna be interesting to see what happens with this... It's still considered one of the highest rated shows on TV, I don't imagine CBS will part with it easily.

4. Apr 1, 2010 #4 of 432
    Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    Maybe he just needs more time to beat down on women?

5. Apr 1, 2010 #5 of 432
    TeighVaux

TeighVaux New Member

May 30, 2005
    Sacramento, CA

Advertisements

I think CBS needs him more than he needs the show. Too bad, if it happens, it doesn't just mean no more show for the viewers, it puts all the other actors and all the staff and support services out of a job.

6. Apr 1, 2010 #6 of 432
    Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Cool, that just means The Big Bang Theory will be that much better. Screw him.

7. Apr 1, 2010 #7 of 432
    dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    If they can do "Lavern & Shirley" without Shirley, and "Valerie" (or "The Harpers") without Valerie, they might just attempt to do "Two and A Half Men" without one of the Men.

Remember, one failed season can still bring a good profit in syndication.

8. Apr 1, 2010 #8 of 432
    hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    I still enjoy the show and really hope it will be back for another season, but definitely want it without Chelsea.

9. Apr 1, 2010 #9 of 432
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Because some of us think that the one-liners AREN'T awful?

Don't get me wrong, I will admit there are basically 3 jokes in the show: Charlie is sleazy/drunk(*), the brother is cheap, the kid is stupid...

But somehow, they keep recycling those three jokes and it's still funny.

(*) I will admit that the fiancee plotline has broadened (heh heh) the character a bit.

10. Apr 1, 2010 #10 of 432
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    This is really the interesting question. He is absolutely integral to this show. I can't imagine how they can make it w/o him. CBS & Chuck Lorre have already agreed/committed to two more years. But Charlie Sheen's contract is up this year. Why on earth they didn't sync them is crazy. They had to realize this could happen?

CS (supposedly) earns $20 million a year from this.

Yeah, that really contributed to this thread. If it had at least been funny . . . :rolleyes:

I hear points like this all the time (see: Conan/Leno), but really, is it our concern? Or even Charlie Sheen's concern? Life goes on, and while I'm as sympathetic as the next guy, ultimately what happens, happens. Making decisions (of this nature, not of everything in life) because of how ancillary people might be affected seems counter-intuitive.

Why? How could the absence of 2.5Men possibly affect the quality of BBT?

This. It's still a funny show to more people than just about any other comedy. It's been on so long you can not only see the joke coming, you can say the words before they do. And it's *still* funny.

I'm not a 2.5Men fanboy (this post notwithstanding :D). I like the show, but realize it can't last forever. But so many comments I read seem... pointless or unrelated. Or possibly even bitter.

Hey, it's just TV.

11. Apr 1, 2010 #11 of 432
    pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    Chuch Lorre writes/produces them both. No 2.5 Men would possibly give him more time to work on BBT.

tk

12. Apr 2, 2010 #12 of 432
    jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Never watched it except when I saw bits of it on an airplane. From what I saw, I thought it was pretty decent.

The show had a good run. Shows come to an end. That's the way it works. If you are gonna get pissed at people because staff is gonna be out of a job, then you are gonna be pissed at everyone on TV. Again, it's how it works. Shows end. Everyone moves onto something else. Really, it's kinda a lot like real life.

13. Apr 2, 2010 #13 of 432
    marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I don't know, sounds like he is mis-guided. He has one of the cushiest easiest jobs on earth right now, and gets paid a crap-load to do it.

He has never struck me as one who is doing it for the art, and he has a lot of very expensive hobbies.

I believe the idea that it might be a negotiating ploy more than anything else, but who knows. Giving it is still the highest rated sitcom on tv, I suspect he could squeeze a decent raise out of CBS even though he already makes like 800 something thousand an episode now.

I don't think the show makes much sense without him. I think John Cryer and some of the others are great, but they need him in the middle of it all.

too bad they killed emilio off or they could have brought him in as a replacement.

The primary premise is a little old anyway given Jake is like 6'3" and 27 years old now.

Given the offer on the table, I just don't see him walking away from 50 million dollars for two more years of work.

14. Apr 2, 2010 #14 of 432
    megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    It's about time it's over. It was a fun ride for a long time, but now I'm simply sick of Sheen and don't want to watch him anymore. If the show keeps going, I won't tune in.

15. Apr 2, 2010 #15 of 432
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    How does that make BBT "better"? :confused: I don't see the writer having more time to work on BBT making it any "better".

16. Apr 2, 2010 #16 of 432
    Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    It wasn't meant to be funny because there's nothing funny about what Charlie Sheen is.

17. Apr 2, 2010 #17 of 432
    Eddief66

Eddief66 Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Corpus...
    Then the show would just be called 2 Men. :D

18. Apr 2, 2010 #18 of 432
    Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    I wish the dopey kid was the one wanting out.

19. Apr 2, 2010 #19 of 432
    Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    Maybe they could bring in Michael J. Fox as his replacement.

20. Apr 2, 2010 #20 of 432
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    This.

Word is he really is tired of doing it, but may be open to negotiating. So yeah, it really is just a negotiating ploy. :rolleyes:

He makes about 20 million now, they offered 23MM, he wants 34.5MM.